Quantcast
How many kms is too high for you to buy? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How many kms is too high for you to buy?

My Ride
    03 Mdx, 05 Gli

Originally posted by Masked Bandit
    It really depends how much you're paying for it and what you're doing with it.

If it's just for bombin' around town in the winter and the price is right, go for it.
    I think this about sums it up.

Obviously completely dependent on price and what you plan to use it for. I bought my work van 3 years ago with 210K on it and it's probably going to roll over 300K next week. I've never had it break down on me and have only done routine maintenance.

My Ride
    Anything topless.

The vehicle was a lease return and it was a business truck from a company. The lady has owned it since June 2009 and has drove daily in Calgary and back and forth to Vancouver. It does have high kms but I'm keen on this particular one because it's in the colour I want and has all the options and I reckon it's quite cheap compared to a lot of the other vehicles in its category.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

WTF!! I am a moderator!!

I guess highway driven is a plus. I would want full maintenance records. If it was going from here to van and put on that many kms in such a short period I'd be worried that on occasion an oil change would get put off or something of that nature. I remember when working for a rental company we had several companies that would do long term rentals and they would never have them serviced (resulted on one van going 30k without an oil change). Now I realize a rental and a lease are two different things but when I was in the field at a previous job I know the guys didn't give a shit about their leased trucks.

Could be a different story with this lady but its something to consider. Make sure you are getting it for MUCH cheaper than the same vehicle with 100+k less kms, not just a few thousand.

My Ride
    NC1

I would expect it to have new tires, brakes, no crack in the windshields and a full detail prior to delivery.

Plus the huge discount compared to other models.

Lowball her LEO!! haha
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    Anything topless.

Originally posted by max_boost
    I would expect it to have new tires, brakes, no crack in the windshields and a full detail prior to delivery.

Plus the huge discount compared to other models.

Lowball her LEO!! haha
    You know me bro! Which reminds me...I haven't been to your restaurant in AGES! Time to lowball over there! This egg roll is too small! half price!

WTF!! I am a moderator!!

My Ride
    Depends on the day

A vehicle with that many km might need steering and suspension work so thats a biggie.

My Ride
    Depends on the day

Is this "truck" with a Honda 3.5 a stupid Saturn Vue? If so light it on fire and walk away

My Ride
    K-car

Originally posted by kvg
    Is this "truck" with a Honda 3.5 a stupid Saturn Vue? If so light it on fire and walk away
    prob a ridgeline

My Ride
    Depends on the day

Just incase he wasn't sayin what it was because its a Saturn

My Ride
    '08 AW E92 335i

it really depends on the brand. If it's some $1000 beater than i wouldn't really give a shit about the kms as long as its not anything crazy like 400,000+. As long as it ran well and it checked out on a test drive, i would buy it.

Now i wouldn't buy a "performance" or a car i was really going to care about if it had over 80,000kms.

I wouldn't buy OP's car unless it was dirt cheap and were basically giving it away. At 300k the car is pretty much worthless no matter what it is imo. (In terms of market value)
    Last edited by funkedelic2; 10-03-2011 at 07:23 PM.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

A buddy of mine has a 85' land cruiser that quite frankly won't die. Turbo diesel with 750,000km and runs like a top. It really depends on the type of driving and maintenance performed by the previous owner(s).
    Ultracrepidarian

Originally posted by LUDELVR
    The vehicle was a lease return and it was a business truck from a company. The lady has owned it since June 2009 and has drove daily in Calgary and back and forth to Vancouver. It does have high kms but I'm keen on this particular one because it's in the colour I want and has all the options and I reckon it's quite cheap compared to a lot of the other vehicles in its category.
    Only thing I can say.... make sure that those claims are true. I was told mine was a lease return to Universal Ford. When I ran the VIN through the Ford Oasis system it turns out it was a Wholesale purchase from Grand Prairie. Granted I have had no problems with the truck that i havent caused myself..... but just make sure that isnt salesman BS.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

My Ride
    Depends on the day

Very true Cos, my friends old Red Gti is for sale and they told my friend it was lady driven and trouble free. My friend is a guy and the car was in the shop all the time and was nothing but a lemon thats why he got rid of it.

My Ride
    Anything topless.

Yeah, sorry, I thought I said what kind of vehicle it is. It's a Ridgeline and it's a private sale from some lady. Haven't checked out the truck yet, so hopefully this week.

WTF!! I am a moderator!!

I would say condition of the car is more important than km as some others have said.

In our shop we have a guy that comes in with a 1996 Chrysler Intrepid it last month he had 671xxx km on the original motor. He uses it as a car to travel from his farm into the city for work. the body is in rough shape now, but the motor runs like a charm, just comes in for regular oil changes and other regular maint.
    jordanturbo is like herpes... Always coming back for more

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Originally posted by LUDELVR
    Yeah, sorry, I thought I said what kind of vehicle it is. It's a Ridgeline and it's a private sale from some lady. Haven't checked out the truck yet, so hopefully this week.
    For god knows what reason, our company has three ridgelines. One of them is mine. They are 05/06/11. One has 70,000 miles (american) the other has 260,000 km. Obviously the '11 has barely any. The older ones both run just fine and have no issues so long term reliability seems to be solid. They are not rusted either which is a plus.

The 05/06 both have a piston "knock" at idle that apparently is caused by a common defect through several model years and will return even if you replace the piston. That being said, I don't think it causes any real issue....just gets louder with time.

Some items to consider:

My buddy has a 2010 Ridgeline and bought a pontoon boat this summer. It weighs 2600 pounds with the trialer and makes the Ridgeline struggle like a 700 pound woman climbing six flights of stairs. Or like ToiletD resisting the urge to make a shitty joke about being gay or a likewise stupid comment and sound like an idiot. He is now buying a new truck to pull it with. Clarification, he is buying a REAL truck to haul it with.

We have made fun of him relentlessly since he bought it and we often piss on it at parties out of protest for the way it diminishes his manhood.

I can't fit my motorcycle in the back of mine.

It is ugly as fuck.

I see several around just like mine, they are driven by girls.

It can't haul any significant weight, even in its box. Although by the look of it, several of the girls who drive these could. They too are ugly as fuck.

It does have some good utilitarian uses if you are hauling around some kids. We both know you are not.

The underfloor storage compartment in the box can be used to store a very significant amount of beer and ice. This is a plus.

It's ugly as fuck.

Mileage is decent, all things considered.

It isn't a truck, no matter what anyone tells you. Random people may slap you in the mouth if you are overheard referring to it as a truck.

If mine wasn't free, I would not be caught dead driving in it.

The only reason I haven't been ridiculed to the point of tears for owning it is because I do not pay for it, the insurance, the maintenance or the gas. A person should not willingly direct any of their own money towards the owning or operating of one of these.

EDIT - Also, while the all wheel drive system is capable, don't let anyone fool you into thinking it is a 4x4 because it is not.
    Last edited by JRSC00LUDE; 10-04-2011 at 01:16 PM.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    '08 Suzuki GSXR600

i was hoping you guys would purchase vehicles with a higher range. my safari has 600,000 km's. 300,000 being school zone km's

My Ride
    01 Impreza 2.5RS and 05 LGT

Originally posted by Toilet_D
    i was hoping you guys would purchase vehicles with a higher range. my safari has 600,000 km's. 300,000 being school zone km's
    That is sad in so many ways.

[SIZE=4.5]AWD BURNOUT![/size]

My Ride
    Anything topless.

Hmmm...oddly enough, I don't mind the look of this thing and it's actually starting to grow on me! haha

That being said, I was wondering what it's towing capabilities were and was looking to haul a wakeboarding boat in the near future.

Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE

For god knows what reason, our company has three ridgelines. One of them is mine. They are 05/06/11. One has 70,000 miles (american) the other has 260,000 km. Obviously the '11 has barely any. The older ones both run just fine and have no issues so long term reliability seems to be solid. They are not rusted either which is a plus.

The 05/06 both have a piston "knock" at idle that apparently is caused by a common defect through several model years and will return even if you replace the piston. That being said, I don't think it causes any real issue....just gets louder with time.

Some items to consider:

My buddy has a 2010 Ridgeline and bought a pontoon boat this summer. It weighs 2600 pounds with the trialer and makes the Ridgeline struggle like a 700 pound woman climbing six flights of stairs. Or like ToiletD resisting the urge to make a shitty joke about being gay or a likewise stupid comment and sound like an idiot. He is now buying a new truck to pull it with. Clarification, he is buying a REAL truck to haul it with.

We have made fun of him relentlessly since he bought it and we often piss on it at parties out of protest for the way it diminishes his manhood.

I can't fit my motorcycle in the back of mine.

It is ugly as fuck.

I see several around just like mine, they are driven by girls.

It can't haul any significant weight, even in its box. Although by the look of it, several of the girls who drive these could. They too are ugly as fuck.

It does have some good utilitarian uses if you are hauling around some kids. We both know you are not.

The underfloor storage compartment in the box can be used to store a very significant amount of beer and ice. This is a plus.

It's ugly as fuck.

Mileage is decent, all things considered.

It isn't a truck, no matter what anyone tells you. Random people may slap you in the mouth if you are overheard referring to it as a truck.

If mine wasn't free, I would not be caught dead driving in it.

The only reason I haven't been ridiculed to the point of tears for owning it is because I do not pay for it, the insurance, the maintenance or the gas. A person should not willingly direct any of their own money towards the owning or operating of one of these.

EDIT - Also, while the all wheel drive system is capable, don't let anyone fool you into thinking it is a 4x4 because it is not.

WTF!! I am a moderator!!

My Ride
    Lease

Originally posted by max_boost

Lowball her LEO!! haha
    And post pics on Ask Leo

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast