Quantcast
Weird Calls - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Weird Calls

My Ride
    Subaru Impreza (White)

Default Weird Calls

Lately i have been receiving lots of life insurance calls. They have all my information, like address, name, number, email, etc.

The only thing i can think of is, recently i applied for a mortgage. Could that be it? Has anyone ever received these calls?

Thanks
    Last edited by DarkDream; 10-05-2011 at 08:06 AM.

My Ride
    Chevy Silverado

Do you know what the name of the insurance company is?

As mortgage brokers have to offer life insurance, once a mortgage is beyond the preapproval stage the application becomes generated within our system. The main company's that this would be through would be Mortgage Protection Plan (a subsidiary of Manulife) and Sunlife financial.

If either of these sound familiar that would be it, but only if you were beyond the point of commitment with that mortgage application as company's like MPP they have a "Safety Catch" Program which follows up within 6 weeks of the scheduled closing date in the mortgage application for live deals to make sure you were offered the insurance coverage and have had the opportunity to accept or decline the coverage.

The only other way it could be tied to the mortgage application is if your mortgage broker has a relationship with someone at that insurance company and asked them to contact you, but to release that information they should have received your permission first or had you call them. (it may have even just been one line they added to their mortgage borrowers disclosure agreement that we need to have signed as one of RECA's rules, saying that someone may be contacting you. But this would be rare to see in that agreement).

Outside of those, you may have put that kind of information on a draw form at a trade show of some kind one time and they are following up on the leads generated at that time, as the information you mention they have would be the standard fields requested on such a form.

If its something else, I am not sure.

Hope this helps.

The biggest question is what company is it?

I would also ask them to stop calling.
    Its not only about money. Its about freedom, friends and family too.

My Ride
    Subaru Impreza (White)

Thanks for the info.

I'm thinking it might be the mortgage application. I am in the process of signing the commitment letter.

One question though, when you say "the application gets generated in our system" does that mean multiple insurance companies have access to that information?

I am not at home right now, but there was at least 3 insurance companies that called me. One being from BMO. My application is with ATB.

My Ride
    Chevy Silverado

Originally posted by DarkDream
    Thanks for the info.

I'm thinking it might be the mortgage application. I am in the process of signing the commitment letter.

One question though, when you say "the application gets generated in our system" does that mean multiple insurance companies have access to that information?

I am not at home right now, but there was at least 3 insurance companies that called me. One being from BMO. My application is with ATB.
    No, it should only be with one company at most 2 if the lender offers their own, which ATB does.

Odds are if BMO is calling then they possibly have your information on their system if you have ever looked at doing any business with them in the past and they are just trying to sell you more product.