Quantcast
what to look for in a motorcycle helmet. - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: what to look for in a motorcycle helmet.

My Ride
    CRF450R,r6,lifted GM

hey does anyone have a bluetooth helmet? im looking for recommendations from experience.. id like one that plays music loud enough to hear.... ive been looking in motorcycle superstore but would like to hear from you guys

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

well, I bit the bullet, and bought my new helmet. This will be my first helmet that I have bought, and fitted to me. I went with the Scorpion EXO 900 transformer helmet in Black. I found it to fit me the best without huge pressure points across my forehead and crown.

A couple other things that made me choose this helmet were :
    Easy to put my prescription glasses on after putting the helmet on
    The flip down "top gun" style sun visor eliminates the need for me to switch to prescription sunglasses or switching the face shield, and it is always available
    The ability to quickly change between a full face helmet and an open face. My bike is an older cruiser, so there will be days when I may want to ride open faced, however I am sure that 90%+ of my riding will be with the full face shield on.
    Built in compartment for communication equipment. I am really thinking I want to get a bluetooth communication piece to link my phone to, or for talking with others I may be riding with.

The weight of the helmet wasn't bad, I wore it around the store for 20-25 mins while checking a few things out, and didn't feel fatigued or anything.

The only thing I have left to really find out about it is the wind noise.

All the reviews for this helmet seem pretty positive, so I think I made a good choice. Paid $251 all in at Walt Healey Motorsports.

Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

i wear headphones under my helmet.

My Ride
    '13 MB C350 W204 '09 Gixxer 750

Originally posted by GQBalla
    i wear headphones under my helmet.
    Me too, I find riding an escape from work/wife/life. I don't really want to be that plugged in or distracted while riding. Blast some tunes and enjoy the ride!

My Ride
    '19 GTI

Originally posted by RC-Cola

Me too, I find riding an escape from work/wife/life. I don't really want to be that plugged in or distracted while riding. Blast some tunes and enjoy the ride!
    THIS.

If not i find myself singing to myself, or starting a debate.... with myself.
    Music keeps me sane on the ride.

My Ride
    TSX / R6S

headphones are okay - i'd like to have an A2DP unit tho so I can eaily switch with gloves... and a mic incase work calls (when I am not physically at work I am on call 9-9 every day)

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

Originally posted by swak

THIS.

If not i find myself singing to myself, or starting a debate.... with myself.
    Music keeps me sane on the ride.
    Surprised you guys can hear anything. What kind of "headphones" (or earbuds) do you guys use?
    I'll have to try that, sounds cool.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride
    '19 GTI

Originally posted by Graham_A_M

Surprised you guys can hear anything. What kind of "headphones" (or earbuds) do you guys use?
    I just have sony earbuds. I found a sick model that has controls on the cord so you can mute, change songs and volume without pulling your ipod out.
    If riding with a group and you stop at a light you can still communicate as if you didn't have any headphones on... Same goes with talking with police haha.

My Ride
    '13 MB C350 W204 '09 Gixxer 750

Originally posted by Graham_A_M

I found with my Bell helmet & any Shiver it was too loud (distracting). I use sound isolating earbuds that go over my ear (stays in place when sliding on my helmet) that still allows me to hear traffic. I bought these last year and they're awesome:

http://www.shure.com/americas/produc...ting-earphones

I use blackberry head phones lol

When I don't ride with music I get insanely bored.

So just listen to beats. And with Siri I'll be able to text and make calls ahah

My Ride
    ZX10 Street / CBR600 Track

#1 is fit as long as it has a good rating. I avoid the older SNELLs or cheap SNELLs as they are usually too rigid. I like ECE2205 or BSI the best although the new SNELL 2010 is a big step in the right direction for SNELL anyways. More money does not mean more safe. Thats a big myth. More money means, brand name, maybe better creature comforts and more use of expensive materials like carbon fiber and kevlar instead of just fiberglass and poly. Helmet weight is not much of an issue unless that weight means higher density in order to pass the old SNELL punch test which means that the helmet is as hard as a rock. You want a softer, more flexible helmet to isolate and absorb the energy of an impact. I have a few favorites.

I like AGV, Shoei, Scorpion, (new) Bell (old Bells are garbage). I have a love hate relationship with Arai, they are comfy well built nice looking helmets that have the worst visor system in the industry. Suomy Vandal is a good helmet, the Extreme is not so good and also has a crappy visor system. The Shoei visor system is probably the best. Ikon Airframe is good, the Icon Alliance is a piece of crap IMHO. The new Joe Rocket is also a pretty good helmet is you want to save yourself some dough.

Have a look at my video, it may help you get a better fit on the next helmet you buy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8v4qzB5HLY

When you are looking at helmets make sure that you also check out how much the visors and fresh liners cost as that may surprise you with some brands.
    "Live on the Redline" www.redlinecalgary.com

My Ride
    240sx

Originally posted by GQBalla
    I use blackberry head phones lol

When I don't ride with music I get insanely bored.

So just listen to beats. And with Siri I'll be able to text and make calls ahah
    The only thing I was wondering is that when you have your ear buds in and the musics turned up. How are you able to hear traffic and things around you? I always wondered because although it nices to isolate everyone outside it wouldn't it be kind of dangerous not being able to hear your surroundings?

My Ride
    DC4 turbo

Originally posted by GotRice?

The only thing I was wondering is that when you have your ear buds in and the musics turned up. How are you able to hear traffic and things around you? I always wondered because although it nices to isolate everyone outside it wouldn't it be kind of dangerous not being able to hear your surroundings?
    when i cruise for a long time, i usually just use 1 earbud, and switch when i take my breaks, i find that my ears gets really fatigued so it becomes uncomfortable.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2