Quantcast
Nexus Prime - Page 15 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 15 of 38 FirstFirst ... 5 14 15 16 25 ... LastLast

Thread: Nexus Prime

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    The one by Sunridge or the one in Coventry? I have to drive to the airport today so I might make a little detour...
    The one by Sunridge.

My Ride
    Sentra

Originally posted by SportEL
    How do you transfer files to and from the phone since it doesn't use the USB Mass Protocol.
    Windows supports the protocol it uses. So still just plug it in and drag and drop. No different.

My Ride
    GT TDi

it works even better, because to use the files you copied over you don't need to disconnect it, before it had to mount and unmount, not anymore
    2002 VW Golf GT TDI
    2016 VW Passat BiTDI

Picked up a Nexus at the NE Future Shop as well!

Jesus christ this thing is amazing. I'm coming from a 3Gs and this is literally blowing my mind. Glad I waited for this one.

someone want to enlighten me with their first impressions of this phone? coming from perhaps an iphone 4s or a blackberry bold 9900?

The only thing that truly annoys me is the battery cover. While taking it out is easy, putting it back on wastes a lot more time than I'm used to.

My Ride
    is in the works.

How you guys finding the battery life? Is it just the 16gb models you guys purchased?

Originally posted by rawsensation
    How you guys finding the battery life? Is it just the 16gb models you guys purchased?
    Played with it non-stop for 3 hours, installing stuff, watching movies, tons of texts, voice calls, browsing, downloads, etc. Lost 15-20% maybe, at most. That was all on the charge right out of the box, it's down to about 35% left now from 50ish or so and it's charging now for the first time.

And yes it's the 16 GB.

Only complaint so far is some apps don't seem to like the 1280X720 resolution. I'm guessing that's something that will improve shortly. All the main/common/popular apps work perfectly though, like Facebook, MMA Torch, weather network, etc.

Oh, and there's no cases for these things that I can find. Otterbox should be out soon though.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 12-09-2011 at 12:41 AM.

Are these all factory unlocked? If so, will the currently available one work with Rogers?
    "I think 90% of motorcycle racing is between the ears." -Kevin Schwantz

Originally posted by tawheed
    Are these all factory unlocked? If so, will the currently available one work with Rogers?
    100% factory unlocked, and no carrier branding.

It's the first pentaband phone, and works on any network. I'm using mine flawlessly on Fido, which is the same as Rogers. The guy at Future Shop said he's personally tested it with Rogers, and of course it worked. Just pop your SIM in and go - doesn't matter what carrier.

The NE Future shop had lots left when I left. I was their 3rd customer apparently that day. The Deerfoot Meadows FS will not sell one to you outright, not sure about the others. No questions asked at the NE one, maybe the guy thought I would kill him if he didn't sell me one, being the NE and all.

My Ride
    2022 X2M

Originally posted by tawheed
    Yes and yes
    E .· ` ' / ·. F
    Your tears fuel me

If anyone can tell me how to set up shaw e-mail on this thing that would be fantastic. I can get past the incoming server stuff, but it doesn't like the outgoing settings (same as I used for iPhone which worked perfectly). Tried with wireless on and off, still won't work.

The Gmail app is amazing though, I haven't transitioned yet.

OR

If anyone knows how to set Shaw to forward everything to gmail, that would work too, so long as when I reply, it comes from my Shaw account. Currently, I have it forwarded, but I want Gmail to actually grab the mail and not show up as "Forwarded", if that's possible.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 12-09-2011 at 01:07 AM.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Mark call your carrier to help set it up with Shaw. I phoned telus and we had it set up in just a couple minutes. How does it compare to the SG2?
    Ultracrepidarian

hey mitsu, what do you think of the camera?

I picked up mine last night as well. Bootloader unlocked, rooted, and ROM'd before i even logged in with my gmail account.

First impressions:

Battery - I played with it a bit after rooting it and dropped the ~40% charge it came with in about 3 hours. Fully charged it before bed and took it off the charger at 11. Im at 75% now. The deep sleep is great and i only lost about 6% in the 8 hours of standby. I get a poor signal at the plant and will be playing with it a lot so today will be a good test. Bare in mind also that these batteries tend to be a little weak until after a few charging cycles.

Screen - FUCK ME SIDEWAYS! Its amazing! Full brightness is almost TOO bright. I am using it at about 75%. Its the crispest SAMOLED screen i have seen to date. Colour reproduction is perfect and the blacks are BLACK.

Feel, Build, Size - Build quality is perfect. It has the right amount of weight but its not heavy like a brick. The coated glass is a dream to use and minimized finger prints. Its slightly bigger than my old SGS2 but not by much yet the screen size is MASSIVE. Yes the battery door sucks to put on and take off. Not an issue for me though.

ICS 4.0 - I have always been an android fan since eclair so my opinion might be slightly bias. That being said, google really hit it out of the park with 4.0. Its slick, modern looking, and very user friendly. Its a perfect mix of honeycomb and gingerbread. Everything works and works well. I have experienced zero lag so far. This is certainly my best experience with android to date.

Camera - As other reviews i have read, i have to agree the low light performance is poor. Not unusable but it gets grainy. Thats where the cons stop. Auto focus is fast and the face tracking is precise. Instant shutter is awesome and the camera software is very well designed. It takes good pictures. Perfect for a phone but you will be dissappointed if you are looking to replace your point and shoot.

Overall i would give it an easy 9/10. Its the best handset i have used out of a long long list of phones. This includes the SGS2 and iphone 4s. Google did a great job and i would easy recommend this to anyone looking for a new phone or simply something new (and non-apple).

Went to costco in Deerfoot Meadows, wouldnt let me buy one outright.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

I'll be getting mine on December 30th when I'm eligible for a hardware upgrade

My Ride
    A car, a truck, and a bike

Originally posted by Cos
    Went to costco in Deerfoot Meadows, wouldnt let me buy one outright.
    Me neither, despite the national bell rep telling them on the phone to do so (bell cannot deny you a sale!). Long ordeal later, (including the regional, and provincial rep being big assholes), I walked up to a bell kiosk in the mall, asked if they had any nexus', and walked out with one free and clear 10 minutes later.....Great phone!!
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

Originally posted by msommers
    Mark call your carrier to help set it up with Shaw. I phoned telus and we had it set up in just a couple minutes. How does it compare to the SG2?
    I think I'm just going to switch my e-mail entirely over to g-mail. Almost all my e-mail is automated, so I don't have many people to notify of the change. All personal email comes to my work.

The Nexus is pretty amazing, mostly just having zero lag no matter what you're doing, the internet browsing off wifi is as fast or faster than my 3GS on Wifi, and the screen real estate. The keyboard is outstanding too, but I liked the one on the SGS2 as well.

Things I love:

- Screen (Max brightness is TOO bright, which is a good problem to have)
    - Speed (browsing and in general)
    -Keyboard
    - Messaging/Gmail/Notfications
    - Notification LED
    - Excellent call quality (both ends)
    - Repels fingerprints so well I won't be buying a screen protector (and the youtube video with the keys convinced me I need not worry about scratches)
    - Resolution support isn't perfect...I notice in lots of apps, the text is perfect, but the smaller graphics are not sharp. For example, in Weather Network's app, the little suns and weather graphics are not sharp at all, but the rest looks great. I imagine this is something that will become much better in time.

My complaints:

- Rear cover is a stupid design, but I'll never take it off again now that my battery & sim are in, so it's kind of a moot point.
    - Speaker is on the back of the phone, so it's not loud when its being used as an alarm clock (which I do a lot). It could just be the included ringtones, but none of them are that loud.

Battery life is good, it sat all night long, then I used it a lot today, and here at 5pm I have 41% left.

Voice dictation isn't literally instant like they advertise, but it is VERY impressively fast, considering what it's doing. I haven't had it screw up on me yet.

I still have A LOT to figure out about the phone, being a first time Android user, and because ICS is new.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 12-09-2011 at 06:11 PM.

Originally posted by dragonone
    hey mitsu, what do you think of the camera?
    I haven't really used it much yet, but it is indeed instant, focuses fast, and the flash is very bright. I don't typically take a lot of cell phone pictures, but I will probably take more with this one. It's a million times better than the camera on an iPhone 3GS, that's all I can tell you right now

Page 15 of 38 FirstFirst ... 5 14 15 16 25 ... LastLast