Quantcast
Accident increases demand for Law Limiting Vehicle Speed - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Accident increases demand for Law Limiting Vehicle Speed

My Ride
    8P 3.2

Default Accident increases demand for Law Limiting Vehicle Speed

Article

A fatal high-speed crash in Toronto over the weekend that tore a car in two pieces has strengthened a federal lawmaker's resolve to force a law requiring all new cars to be fitted with speed limiters.

Liberal MP Jim Karygiannis, the member for Scarborough-Agincourt, said the collision Monday at Kennedy Road and Finch Avenue East underscores the need for the electronic devices that restrict a car from exceeding a particular speed.

The deceased victim was identified on Tuesday as Wyongfong Shen, who goes by the name Song. Police said he was in his 20s.

"It was estimated that this individual was doing 180 kilometres an hour, so should the speed limiter have been at 150 … it would have cut him off and he wouldn't have been able to speed," Karygiannis said.

"Again, 150 kilometres an hour is a pretty fast speed in an urban area."

Although the lower speed may not have saved the driver's life on Monday, Karygiannis said "I figured cars shouldn't be going over 150 kilometres an hour. Nobody needs it. Nobody wants it."

'What is a life worth'

In Monday's crash, the driver smashed his Honda Civic into a concrete hydro pole at Kennedy and Finch. The car was travelling so fast that the front of the car ripped apart upon impact, with the driver still trapped inside the front. The rear end of the vehicle was thrown 20 metres away and settled near a gas station.

The driver suffered severe head trauma and later died in hospital. Police suspect he had been street racing with another car, and are seeking the other driver.

Karygiannis said he will introduce a private member's bill requiring speed limiters in the House of Commons. He has repeatedly tried to introduce such a bill. It did not pass first reading in 2006, but the latest incident has inspired him to try again.

"We've seen carnage, and what is a life worth?" he said.

The bill, if passed, would have amended the Motor Vehicle Safety Act, making it mandatory that all new automobiles on the roads would be equipped with the speed limiters.

My Ride
    8P 3.2

As Clarkson once said "It's not speed that kills, it's suddenly stopping. THATS what gets you."

I certainly don't make it a habbit of driving 150km/h but ideas like this annoy me. I don't want some safety paranoid government body imposing design limitations on my car. Besides, if this law passed anyone who wanted to race would simply chip the car and get around it.

My Ride
    RS4, RDX, F430

Another moron Liberal.

My Ride
    G6

This Liberal MP seems like an idiot in my opinion. The driver chose to go 180 and got himself killed. Darwinism. Leave it at that. It's not a car or a speed that kills, it's the decisions made by the driver.

Also, I thought all new cars were already governed? I know mine is at 160.

My Ride
    8P 3.2

Originally posted by Feruk
    This Liberal MP seems like an idiot in my opinion. The driver chose to go 180 and got himself killed. Darwinism. Leave it at that. It's not a car or a speed that kills, it's the decisions made by the driver.

Depends. Zee germans (Audi anyways, BMW too I'm pretty sure)govern at 209km/h or 240km/h. Depending on the model. Most are 209km/h. And the reason for this is they don't want to sell a car thats capable of exceeding the speed rating of the tires that come with it. And selling cars with w or y rated tires would get expensive. So they slap on H-Rated tires and limit the speed to 209km/h. At least thats what I have heard the reasons are. Of course an R8 would be sold with uber-tires and have a much higher limiter.
    Last edited by frizzlefry; 10-11-2011 at 03:07 PM.

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

Oh the humanity, I cannot remove my foot from the gas pedal.

Knifes are too sharp, cars are too fast, buildings are too tall, pavement is too hard, girls are too slutty, OMG, OMG.

50km/h is too fast if you don't use your head.

Originally posted by Feruk

That would be because you drive a huge ass truck...

many benz/bmw are governed in the 220-250 range

My Ride
    D40/ED9/R6

Yeah, because street racers have no idea how to flash their ECU to remove a limiter, street racers are usually the types of people who buy a new car and leave it completely stock and go race it.

Street racers never increase the diameter of their wheels either.
    18" wheels on a 15" wheel vehicle = 150 turns into 180km/h
    Last edited by Modelexis; 10-11-2011 at 03:14 PM.
    "Anarchism is not a romantic fable but the hardheaded realization, based on five thousand years of experience, that we cannot entrust the management of our lives to kings, priests, politicians, generals, and county commissioners."

My Ride
    Grimace

What about people going to the race track. It would be a hoot seeing every trap speed at 94mphhhhhhhhh
    Stupid idea though, it can always be removed and it is the driver crashing not the vehicle

Also,
    "I figured cars shouldn't be going over 150 kilometres an hour. Nobody needs it. Nobody wants it."
    good reasoning

My Ride
    8P 3.2

Originally posted by Modelexis
    Yeah, because street racers have no idea how to flash their ECU to remove a limiter, street racers are usually the types of people who buy a new car and leave it completely stock and go race it.

If you look at the pic in the article seems to me the car was likely not tuned or chipped. Looks stock. I am assuming that because I don't know of a single sports mod person who would allow their tuned car to ride on 15 inch steelies with plastic covers. I imagine a stock civic would handle like a wet banana at 180km/h

My Ride
    D40/ED9/R6

Originally posted by frizzlefry
    I am assuming that because I don't know of a single sports mod person who would allow their tuned car to ride on 15 inch steelies with plastic covers.
    Have you ever heard of the term sleeper? I'm not saying this civic is one but a lot of people toss a good motor in a stock shell and blow the doors off people that get suckered into racing.

Last edited by Modelexis; 10-11-2011 at 03:24 PM.
    "Anarchism is not a romantic fable but the hardheaded realization, based on five thousand years of experience, that we cannot entrust the management of our lives to kings, priests, politicians, generals, and county commissioners."

My Ride
    8P 3.2

Have you ever heard of the term sleeper? I'm not saying this civic is one but a lot of people toss a good motor in a stock shell and blow the doors off people that get suckered into racing.

Seems rather dangerous to me, tuning the crap out of a car and leaving the stock tires on it. I don't think they make 185/65R14 tires that can safely go over 180km/h without tearing apart.

My Ride

Originally posted by frizzlefry

Seems rather dangerous to me, tuning the crap out of a car and leaving the stock tires on it. I don't think they make 185/65R14 tires that can safely go over 180km/h without tearing apart.
    http://www.discountedwheelwarehouse...._615_Tires.cfm

My Ride
    W204

First of all, that's a mid 90's Accord.. Second, I don't see how doing 150 vs. 180 would do anything to change the outcome... He "figures" 150 is fast enough? Wow the Force is strong in this one. I wonder what else he "figures" is good for us...
    You have a couple of photos that are great... you must be very good at photoshop!

My Ride
    8P 3.2

Originally posted by clem24
    First of all, that's a mid 90's Accord.. Second, I don't see how doing 150 vs. 180 would do anything to change the outcome... He "figures" 150 is fast enough? Wow the Force is strong in this one. I wonder what else he "figures" is good for us...
    From smartmotorist.com
    The fatal crash rate for large trucks is 2.6 deaths per 100 million vehicle miles traveled more than 50 percent greater than the rate for all vehicles on the roads. 78% of fatalities were occupants of the other vehicle

Maybe this guy should "figure" that no one wants trucks too. Really you could nit-pick every damn thing possible on the roads to make them safer. Fact is there are worse causers of death on the roads than speed, its just easier to target it.

My Ride
    growls

The only thing going through my head when reading this was "blahblahblah." Have fun passing that law, lol.

My Ride
    NC1

Our society is moving towards full retard.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    D40/ED9/R6

Originally posted by Abeo
    Not sure what the facepalm is all about, are you saying that your speedo won't be off when you change the diameter of your wheels?

Not sure what the facepalm is all about, are you saying that your speedo won't be off when you change the diameter of your wheels?

So what you're saying is that when you purchase after market rims, from 15" to 18" you keep the same tire thickness?

If so, that facepalm is deserved... much like most of your posts

My Ride
    Das Fahrenheit

Originally posted by lilmira

Knifes are too sharp, cars are too fast, buildings are too tall, pavement is too hard, girls are too slutty, OMG, OMG.

Good luck with this bill Ontarrible.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast