Quantcast
Fast lane enforcement - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Fast lane enforcement

My Ride
    My wife crazy!

Originally posted by Abeo

I take it you've never driven where left lane passing is enforced. It works, trust us.

Absoloutely!!!!

My Ride
    05 GDB V.8 / ZX10R / T1-7L

make it mandatory to have license retesting done, in order to include left lane rules.

This will make the province money, and improve the quality of road travel.

Wow if that could be done, then it would be a great opportunity to instruct and inform drivers of so many other things, not mention the fact that it would allow the "weeding out" of the poor drivers who lack basic driving skills as well.

Then the Province can introduce 2 year mandatory driver training, prior to getting a license, get rid of this stupid graduated driver bullshit, and put some real drivers on the road.

Seriously, why are we so behind in driver education? Even all the third world countries I have been to, where getting a license is not a requirement-showcases far better driver ability and respect than our so called "modern" society.

Although you may be correct, most of the complaints you see on here are essentially about people in the left lane going slightly faster then the speed limit. And the people want them to move over so they can excessivly speed. You people see no problem with this?

Mind you there are those who do drive really slow in the left lane which I admit, sucks.

My Ride
    2010 frontier pro-4x

Originally posted by lasimmon
    I don't get it? You want slower people in the right lane so people like those in this thread can be dangerous and speed in the fast lane?

What causes more accidents? Excess speed or too little speed?
    There's a difference between maintaining the speed of traffic and excessive speeding. When people try to play hero and go exactly the speed limit or under it just creates more problems and dangerous driving, not too mention restricting the flow of traffic.

If there are more cops enforcing slow drivers in the fast lane, they will be more likely to catch excessive speeders.

My Ride
    05 GDB V.8 / ZX10R / T1-7L

Man, I want to slap every left lane warrior I encounter.
    Last edited by RickDaTuner; 10-11-2011 at 06:50 PM.

My Ride
    RS4, RDX, F430

Originally posted by Traffic_Cop

Unfortuately, education through enforcement is effective
    Keep telling yourself that.

My Ride

What I'd like to see:

-Passing on the right against the law
    and, at the same time,
    -left lane passing enforced

Its been shown that passing on the right is much more dangerous than passing on the left (for LHD cars on LHD roads), and by not enforcing passing on the left its almost encouraging passing on the right.

Also, lasimmon, if you let the speeders by, they'll be more likely to be caught. It works out pretty good for everyone: big fish gets caught, everyone else gets to drive without being impeded.

My Ride
    My wife crazy!

Originally posted by 2007RS4

And judging from your posts you are a Police hater, so no matter what I say, you are going to rag on.

My Ride
    Silverado, G37x

Originally posted by 2007RS4

It does indeed work, I know not to speed. Why? I can't friggin' afford it

Originally posted by Traffic_Cop

In calgary, no. But the M25 works in London. And given proper infrastructure and educatio on longer roads outside the city why not?.
    With all respect I really can't stand road comparisons like this. With the climate we have it would be impossible to maintain a road to the same quality as the M25 etc. I don't know what people don't understand about that. "well they just have to use better materials" is always the common response, well one who is going to pay for it, 2 since when is every one on beyond a civil engineer with knowledge of these "better" materials. It just isn't feasible in Alberta.

As much as I agree slower traffic should stay out of the left lane it is up to the toolbags doing 120 down deerfoot to look out for those of us doing the speed limit not the other way around.

My Ride
    2003 VW Jetta 1.8T Wolfsburg

Originally posted by RickDaTuner
    make it mandatory to have license retesting done, in order to include left lane rules.

This will make the province money, and improve the quality of road travel.

Wow if that could be done, then it would be a great opportunity to instruct and inform drivers of so many other things, not mention the fact that it would allow the "weeding out" of the poor drivers who lack basic driving skills as well.

Then the Province can introduce 2 year mandatory driver training, prior to getting a license, get rid of this stupid graduated driver bullshit, and put some real drivers on the road.

Seriously, why are we so behind in driver education? Even all the third world countries I have been to, where getting a license is not a requirement-showcases far better driver ability and respect than our so called "modern" society.

My Ride
    6.2L V8

You think the autobahn would work in Alberta?
    Obviously not if everyone drove pussy ass corollas like you, corollaboy.

My Ride

Originally posted by J-hop

With all respect I really can't stand road comparisons like this. With the climate we have it would be impossible to maintain a road to the same quality as the M25 etc. I don't know what people don't understand about that. "well they just have to use better materials" is always the common response, well one who is going to pay for it, 2 since when is every one on beyond a civil engineer with knowledge of these "better" materials. It just isn't feasible in Alberta.
    Eastern Ontario has a similar climate to Calgary (and region) but have worse frost heaves and more variable moisture that messes with the roads. They just pave and repair roads more often, and they end up with much better roads overall. On the other side of the ont/que border (with the same climate), Quebec take the Alberta approach, and the roads are messed up as a result.

Originally posted by J-hop

As much as I agree slower traffic should stay out of the left lane it is up to the toolbags doing 120 down deerfoot to look out for those of us doing the speed limit not the other way around.
    Good point, but its everyone's responsibility to keep an eye out for approaching traffic and to judge other vehicle's speeds. Its also everyone's responsibility to judge whether their own driving is having an impact on those around them (whether they are tying up traffic or cutting off people while speeding).

My Ride
    Bicycle

I don't get it? You want slower people in the right lane so people like those in this thread can be dangerous and speed in the fast lane?

What causes more accidents? Excess speed or too little speed?
    It's not speed. It's the differential in speed.

I love more enforcement but it is tougher to prosecute. Driver here don't pay enough attention to their surroundings.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Although you may be correct, most of the complaints you see on here are essentially about people in the left lane going slightly faster then the speed limit. And the people want them to move over so they can excessivly speed. You people see no problem with this?

Mind you there are those who do drive really slow in the left lane which I admit, sucks.
    If you want to enforce the speed limit, go join Traffic Cop.

If you are slower, pull to the right.

My Ride
    Hatred

Originally posted by Xtrema

If you want to enforce the speed limit, go join Traffic Cop.

If you are slower, pull to the right.
    Those signs do say maximum on them do they not?
    -U

My Ride
    My wife crazy!

Nope, "slower traffic keep right"

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by Unknown303

Those signs do say maximum on them do they not?
    You are also supposed to be on the right except when passing. 2 wrongs doesn't make a right.

Of course, if someone is riding your ass and you have nowhere to go, feel to flip him the bird. Legally and by courtesy, you shoul always stay on the right.

My Ride
    Hatred

Originally posted by Xtrema

You are also supposed to be on the right except when passing. 2 wrongs doesn't make a right.

Of course, if someone is riding your ass and you have nowhere to go, feel to flip him the bird. Legally and by courtesy, you shoul always stay on the right.
    True I see what you're saying.
    -U

Think of it this way. If someone wants to speed excessively, THEY WILL. Trying to box them in or slow them down by blocking them will only aggravate them and drive even more dangerously out of road rage.

Also, just because the road is clear, not everyone is a moron and drive recklessly. Strict laws and traffic tickets aren't what stops most people from driving sensibly. A lot of people can be responsible drivers without being treated like children with rules.

Like someone mentioned it's the differential of speed is where the danger is.
    For example, on a 50kph two lane road, it's perfectly legal to drive the speed limit past the lane that's has come to standing still.
    But is it safe? Fuck no. You're traveling 50kph faster than the cars next to you and it would only take one car to pull out to cause an accident.

Edit: People trying to merge onto Deerfoot at 80kph comes into mind.
    Last edited by 5t3v3; 10-11-2011 at 11:29 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast