Quantcast
Buying Camera for Xmas gift...need help - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Buying Camera for Xmas gift...need help

Default Buying Camera for Xmas gift...need help

So I am buying my Dad a new camera for christmas but have a few questions. He currently has a XSi Rebel, and its a nice camera but I know he would like to 1080 video of the new cameras.

Question is, I am between two cameras: The Rebel T3i and the Nikon D7000. I know I know they are not in the same price range, money is not the concern. My concern is, if you are just using the camera for vaca,family pics and the video feed, is it worth getting the Nikon or should I stick with the Canon and instead buy another lense with the money saved?

Is the T3i a good camera? Or is the D7000 far superior in every way? I am new to this so any help would be great.

Thanks

If he's not invested heavily in glass, the D7000 is a much better camera than something like a T3i. The only thing the T3i has the D7000 doesn't is a flip-out LCD, everything else is much better on the D7000.

It doesn't sound like your dad is a critical user, just using it for vacation and such. Still, if you want the best hardware possible in that general price bracket, go for the D7000. If you go to the store and play with the both, the T3i feels like a toy in comparison as well.

Would you be applying the price difference on the lenses? If so, I would see which lenses you're considering before suggesting a camera. A D7000 with cheap glass might not be better than a T3i with better glass.

honestly i dont know much about cameras, ya the price difference I would probably buy another lense. But its not a deal breaker. Basicallly I just want to know if the d7000 superiority is worth it for a casual photography..and is it that much better.

Also which lenses for either would you recommend?

Yes, the D7000 is better no matter who the user is. It is simply a better piece of hardware, whether your Dad needs it or not is another question I guess. It might make it easier for him to salvage shots, or get the shot he may not get otherwise, for example. I would say it's worth the price difference.

Some outstanding cheap lenses:

Nikon 35/1.8 G ($250)
    Nikon 50/1.8 D or G ($130 for the D, $250 for the G)

Nikon 18-105 VR is a good all round lens, and the dirt cheap 18-55 VR kit lens is pretty good, just make sure it's the VR version.

There are only a few great lenses for either brand if you want to do it on the cheap, but they do exist. Most other "good" lenses start around the $500-$600 mark.

You may also consider a tripod or flash if he likes taking family photos and such.

My Ride
    Silverado

what about the d5100?
    when i was shopping for a camera i cross shopped the d90 and the t3i. i liked the nikon for its top mount lcd, dual scroll wheels, auto focus assist light, long battery life.
    the t3i does have a jack for an external microphone. the d90 doesn't. not sure about the d7000. the t3i also felt cheap in comparison to the d90.
    i bought the 18-105 kits lense. i've enjoyed it

Well I went to a camera shop today, and the guy also recommended the Canon 7D since we already have canon glass.

Originally posted by Skrilla
    Well I went to a camera shop today, and the guy also recommended the Canon 7D since we already have canon glass.
    How much Canon glass does he have? If its just a kit lens or something then it doesn't really matter. Quite a few people jumped ship from the 7D to the D7000 when it was released. 7D is good too though, but it is going to be replaced sometime soon.

If you're willing to spend more than the D7000 then I'd look at a D300s, they are a steal right now at $1300. Only area it is bested by the 7D is in video (1080p vs 720p). Replacement shouldn't be until Q1 2012.

Honestly I'd just still get a D7000, bang for the buck nothing can touch it, it's the most modern camera of the bunch, far and away has the best sensor, and the money you'll save over a 7D you can buy an awesome lens.

If your dad has a ton of Canon glass, then buy a 7D. If not, you can do better. If he's just a casual shooter he probably won't care anyways - none of these cameras are bad at all. If you're upping your budget you can't really go wrong, just about anything is better than an XSi.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 10-15-2011 at 08:29 PM.

My Ride
    Silverado

great deal on the d7000 right now at mem express
    $1325 for d7000 body and 18-105 vr