Quantcast
Project Management Professional (PMP) Certificate - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Project Management Professional (PMP) Certificate

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Originally posted by Cos
    Yeah getting a PMP is probably like your PEng. Unless you are moving or you are chasing high profile jobs (or are in a company that is really superficial) I dont see the benefit but it is a long term investment.

You're a Production Engineer right?
    Yeah, last time I was looking for a job, I was eligible for my P.Eng, but I hadn't finished the paperwork. That never went over very well in interviews. I have it now, but I never stamp drawings (don't even have a stamp). I have heard it's helpful if you are in a supervisory role, since APEGGA prefers that only P.Engs supervise P.Engs. Hell if they had thier way, every manager in the province would be a P.Eng.

And I used to be a Production Engineer a few years ago. Now I'm in Drilling.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    LEXUS LX470

What about the Project Management Certificate (PMC)?

From my research, this 1 year course (12 courses, 1/mo) was the first step to acquiring the PMP? I thought you basically take this program, then accumulate your hours, and then write the PMP test?

Is the PMC a valuable program to take? I am acquiring my P Eng at the moment, and would like to further my education. I am thinking of doing my MBA, but thought that the PMC might be a good short term route for schooling?
    Tap, Rack, BANG!

My Ride
    WRX LTD / Civic Si /RAV4

http://www.pmi.org/Certification/Pro...ional-PMP.aspx

" PMP Requirements
    To apply for the PMP, you need to have either:

A four-year degree (bachelor’s or the global equivalent) and at least three years of project management experience, with 4,500 hours leading and directing projects and 35 hours of project management education.

OR

A secondary diploma (high school or the global equivalent) with at least five years of project management experience, with 7,500 hours leading and directing projects and 35 hours of project management education.

If you do not meet the PMP eligibility requirements, you may want to look at the Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)® certification."

I have the hours already, so right I'm looking to take a prep course that can double up as the required 35 hours.

Anyone have suggestions or experience and can throw out some recommendations. i.e. MRU, SAIT, UofC, online?

Then after this gonna go do a LEED course.
    --For SALE or Trade--

iPhones
    Maui Jim Sunglasses

My Ride
    TL

I don't have the reference right now, but the PMI changed their requirement for the PMP experience with this latest PMBOK revision. You were permitted to submit hours as a technical project lead, but now the wording is experience as a PM and not technical lead.

How much can be grandfathered in? No clue.

My Ride
    E92, ZX6R, MK4 GLI

bump

Looking to get more insight into people’s careers with a CAPM certification. Did you find the certification useful, any salary increases, further opportunities to advance?

I'll be starting a new job as a project accountant, and already have my hours 1500 hours experience & 23 hours of class time.

Last edited by Cos; 01-02-2017 at 10:51 AM.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

Default PMP certification practice questions

CAPM is a really basic certification. It does not help if you already work in the area.

Try a little harder and get de PMP certification. I studied with free (and some paid) exam simulation:
    http://www.headfirstlabs.com/books/hfpmp/hfpmp_ch15.pdf
    http://www.oliverlehmann.com/pmp-sel...-questions.htm
    http://www.pmsimu.com (few but in the pmbok 5th edition)

My Ride
    Exploded.

For me, my goal is to get a PMP designation so I'm just getting myself involved in as many projects as I can for the required experience.

I find pilot projects are the most interesting because it's like your own little sandbox.

My Ride
    Lexus/Toyota

http://www.pmstudy.com/enroll.asp#PMP

Also for those aspiring for a PMP, make sure you understand the scope of what you're working on. In the O&G mega construction industry many people may both the "required" hours and hold the credential; but they have no clue about what is being built, how and what commodities they're dealing with. They dont understand what information is present on a P&ID, or what is an isometric, nor have they spent any real time at site. IMO in this situation a PMP is as useless as the piece of paper it is written on.

Sorry getting off my soapbox now...

My Ride
    Exploded.

Originally posted by mrsingh
    http://www.pmstudy.com/enroll.asp#PMP

Also for those aspiring for a PMP, make sure you understand the scope of what you're working on. In the O&G mega construction industry many people may both the "required" hours and hold the credential; but they have no clue about what is being built, how and what commodities they're dealing with. They dont understand what information is present on a P&ID, or what is an isometric, nor have they spent any real time at site. IMO in this situation a PMP is as useless as the piece of paper it is written on.

Sorry getting off my soapbox now...
    Great point. I was informed that there are 'paper' PMP's (people who have the designation but only know it on paper with no real-life experience) and if you're that person, don't bother getting it.

Usually, PMP designates get grilled more than usual because more is expected from them and rightfully so.

My buddy made everything up and got cleared to write the exam.
    I hear 1/10 get audited, so as high as 90% of PMPs are BS.

In the end, it proves you can write a test. Real PMs have the experience to back up their knowledge. I think it's a useless designation for working PMs, but can be useful if you need to get your foot in the door.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2