Quantcast
iOS 5.0 tips/tricks/problems - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: iOS 5.0 tips/tricks/problems

Default iOS 5.0 tips/tricks/problems

I thought we could use a separate thread for this rather than trying to find stuff in the "iPhone 5" thread.

Upgraded last night and have been playing with some options. I had no problems with the new iMessage app. Any recipient that has the same iOS, and it automatically works. But for some strange reason, my sister's phone isn't recognized. Her "iMessage" toggle is turned "on", yet it's not working between our two phones.

Another glitch I'm getting today. In the "speak selection" feature; was working fine last night. Today, when I tap on "speak" (for the selected word/phrase) there's no speech and then it turns off all my sounds for notifications. Even though they are all turned on...no sound. I have to change my ringer sound, and then everything works fine again.

Anyone else have some cool "tips" they've discovered? I like the new built-in dictionary. As well as the camera shutter release on the volume button.

Took Apple long enough to come up with the texting shortcuts. Finally, at least. BB has had that for years.

My Ride
    2017 Tacoma street queen

I find when I'm on beyond and someone posts link it switches to a new page but nothing loads. I have to copy paste the link. Anyone else?

No innovation without pain right? Haha, the linking issue should be fixed for iOS5 users.
    ---

is anyone else's smart playlists for their music in reverse order after upgrading? Its driving me nuts.

My Ride
    CRF450R,r6,lifted GM

my battery life suuuuuuccckkkssss now... like all apps closed and just from 645-12 pm im at 70% and thats maybe sending 5-10 texts max

Originally posted by kenny
    No innovation without pain right? Haha, the linking issue should be fixed for iOS5 users.
    Kenny, the linking you're talking about, does it refer to what Nismorphed was talking about? Cuz I haven't had the problem until I updated to iOS5. Instead of copying and pasting the link though, I just hold my finger on the link and select "Open In New Window"
    Mercs

Originally posted by manny18
    my battery life suuuuuuccckkkssss now... like all apps closed and just from 645-12 pm im at 70% and thats maybe sending 5-10 texts max
    Mine has always sucked. I pretty much take the charge cord everywhere I go. Yesterday it was down to 13% by noon. Charged it to 70% and then back down to 20% by 5:00.

Does anyone else's pinch zoom work with Facebook on their iPhone? When I upgraded to 5.0 it worked..for a day. But now there's no zoom again. Either through the FB app or even through Safari.
    Last edited by C_Dave45; 10-15-2011 at 08:54 AM.

My Ride

Im getting the music art error, every time I go into music and display the album art by moving the phone sideways, it crashes randomly in different areas when I'm browsing, the thing is doesn't restart the phone just restarts the platform, and kicks me out to the lock screen, I'm also getting the open links error.

I'm also getting the playlist backwards problem, I did managed to get around it, by deleting the affected playlist and redoing it, only way around it so far.
    Other that I like the iMessage and the new email display in the lock screen, reminders and appointments.

My Ride
    Hatred

I switched to android and all my IOS5 problems are solved..
    -U

I have a 3Gs, and after moving to iOS 5, I have easily 30% better stand-by battery life, maybe more. When I wake up in the morning now my phone has only a few % lost from the night before, instead of 20% or more like before. Another thing I've noticed is that calls connect 2-3 times faster. So far I'm happy with the improvements.

Also for all you people complaining about battery life, remember to close every app in your multi task menu - that makes a huge difference.

My Ride
    10 WRX

I used to have terrible battery life on my i4 and couldn't figure out why. What I ended up doing was removing all my mail accounts and readding them. Seems odd but it actually worked like a charm.

IOS 5 tricks I'm liking so far

Camera App --> instead of clicking photo link in the bottom left, you can swipe on the camera screen to get to the pictures right away

Inside each photo press the screen once and there are now edit functions --> yay rotation!

Camera --> If you hold your finger on the screen you can get the camera to AE/AF lock, this is handy for shooting certain things and not allowing the camera to autofocus on something you don't want.

I found the gesture features to be pretty pointless --> to turn them on
    settings --> general --> accessibility --> assistive touch --> turn this feature on to be able to control some phone functions via gestures. It has this annoying dot in the bottom right. Some folks might find it handy.

Wifi Sync --> Itunes MUST be running for Wifi-Sync to occur AND your phone must be on the wifi network (of course) AND your phone MUST be plugged into a power source (ie: charging)
    To sync over Wifi, you must check off "sync over wifi" in itunes before this will even work.
    Then on your iphone settings --> general --> Itunes Wifi-Sync --> Press "Sync Now"

The caveat to wifi sync is that you must sync at lease once via cable before you can sync over Wifi. I've found that it takes some time for Itunes/Iphone to even see eachother, so if the sync button is greyed out, wait for a bit and it "should" show up eventually?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I've been able to wifi sync manually without plugging into power on both my iPhone and iPad. When you plug in power, it starts a sync.

Here's a weird issue I'm having. I've been able to auto sync, but not auto backup. There's a difference between backup, and sync. Backup backups all your settings, passwords, messages, camera roll, basically everything but apps and music/videos. Sync, well, syncs the music/videos, podcasts, photos etc.

Right now, I have to do a backup by right clicking the device in iTunes and selecting backup. I've tried everything, intiating a sync on iTunes, from the device, from plugging in power, nothing. Won't backup unless I do it manually.

Anyone have any ideas why?
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Mine seems to backup at the same time every night over wifi @ 5am. Stupid question but is your pc going into sleep mode at night?
    ---

My Ride
    This and that.

Here's my iPad issue. Went out and got a Rogers SIM card for 3G Internet for the iPad and it's stuck on Edge. Cant get 3G to come on and have moved with it to different locations but still no luck. Any help?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by kenny
    Mine seems to backup at the same time every night over wifi @ 5am. Stupid question but is your pc going into sleep mode at night?
    Nope. My PCs dont sleep. Weird.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by z2two
    is anyone else's smart playlists for their music in reverse order after upgrading? Its driving me nuts.

Originally posted by SCHIDER23
    Im getting the music art error, every time I go into music and display the album art by moving the phone sideways, it crashes randomly in different areas when I'm browsing, the thing is doesn't restart the phone just restarts the platform, and kicks me out to the lock screen, I'm also getting the open links error.

I'm also getting the playlist backwards problem, I did managed to get around it, by deleting the affected playlist and redoing it, only way around it so far.
    Other that I like the iMessage and the new email display in the lock screen, reminders and appointments.
    Same issue but solved it by making a new list with the exact same songs and syncing it. Another issue that I can't seem to solve is the order of my playlists. I used to have a "-" before the playlists I listen to most often so they sit at the top but now it puts all my lists in alphabetical order no matter what symbol I put in front of the playlist name. Annoying as fuck!

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by shakalaka
    Here's my iPad issue. Went out and got a Rogers SIM card for 3G Internet for the iPad and it's stuck on Edge. Cant get 3G to come on and have moved with it to different locations but still no luck. Any help?
    Just use hotspot off your phone?
    Not sure why people with a decent amount of data get the 3G iPads.

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

Also for all you people complaining about battery life, remember to close every app in your multi task menu - that makes a huge difference.
    I was told by an Apple employee that this isn't a list of apps that are actually "running", but more just a list of "recently" run apps. Like in Windows' "start" menu.

Any apps that are actually "running" will be displayed by an icon in the status bar or will warn you or give you the option. For example I have "MotionX gps". If I close it without "tracking a route" it will just close. It won't be running, but will be displayed in the multi-tasking tray. But if I am currently "tracking a route", then when I close it, an "arrow" icon will be displayed in the status bar. Also in the setup options it asks you how to manage it's running status when not in use.

From Apples site:

Summary:

Multitasking is a feature of iOS that allows applications to perform specific tasks in the background while you are using another application. This article explains which features use multitasking, how to switch between apps, and how to troubleshoot multitasking.

Multitasking in iOS allows you to switch instantly between apps and to resume an app. When you return to an app, you can pick up right where you left off. Multitasking doesn't slow down the performance of the foreground app or drain battery life unnecessarily.

Understanding Multitasking and recently used apps:

Double-clicking the Home button displays a list of recently used apps. These apps are not necessarily actively in use or open. Most applications are not taking up system resources when running in the background and instantly launch when you return to them. Certain tasks or services can continue to run in the background, and you can determine most by checking the status bar
    Last edited by C_Dave45; 10-16-2011 at 09:10 AM.

My Ride
    Subway / Rav4

Help me! Looked over the interwebs with no success

The media on this iPhone cannot be backed up because there is not enough free space on this computer to hold all of the backed up files (4.82Gb required. 1.6 Available). Would you like to continue to update this iPhone?

Continuing will result in the loss of all media on this iPhone Cancel or Continue
    My 'C' partition has limited space just for programs.
    My 'D' partition is the storiage.

I uninstalled itunes from C and installed it into D and the error message is still present. It is still looking in the C partition. How do I get it to use D as the backup. Tried changing the media drive in iTunes to D as well with no luck. Suggestions?

"Having a war about religion is like having a fight over who's got the best invisible friend" - Yasser Arafat

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast