Quantcast
Linkedin - Stupid or useful? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Linkedin - Stupid or useful?

My Ride
    The EI Gravy Train - Choo Choo!

Default Linkedin - Stupid or useful?

what are everyone's thoughts on linkedin? I've been invited about a dozen times, and I'm starting to think that it might be a good idea to jump in.

My Ride
    Camaro 2SS

Still trying to decide myself.

I can see that it can definitely be useful for keeping in touch with former colleagues.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

I'm on there, and have a long list of corworkers who have connected with me.

And yet, not once have I found a use for it.

My Ride
    Cayman

Originally posted by Kloubek
    I'm on there, and have a long list of corworkers who have connected with me.

And yet, not once have I found a use for it.
    Same here, I honestly dont see the use for it

I haven't "needed it" for anything yet but I have been contacted by quite a few headhunters through linked in so maybe it's best used for looking at different job opportunities?

My Ride
    ATS, XC90

Good for networking, finding new jobs. I'm on it, and keep it purely for professional contacts, but haven't actually really USED it for much yet. Although a few head-hunters have contacted me through it, which is something I guess.

Originally posted by Doozer
    Good for networking, finding new jobs. I'm on it, and keep it purely for professional contacts, but haven't actually really USED it for much yet. Although a few head-hunters have contacted me through it, which is something I guess.
    This is pretty much my exact experience.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Hmm, I get headhunters calling me already. I always assumed they stalk you through the Apegga database, which shows current employment and year of graduation, which is about as good as you can get without actually knowing the person.

I suppose that once you are unemployed, it's too late to build your linkedin profile?
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    18 Model S, 20 Macan S, 67 Camaro & 11 SLS

I'm on there and have found it somewhat useful for connecting with prospective clients and employees. It's the professionals facebook.

But ya.. mostly just headhunters or getting messages from people looking for jobs.

I used to be a recruiter, and Linkedin was probably the best external tool available for finding potential candidates that you couldn't fill using the internal database. So yeah, its useful if you're looking to get headhunted.

It is useful though for keeping in touch with old coworkers that you weren't good enough friends with to see once in a while.

Was on there for a while. Only thing it was good for was an ice breaker when you were working with someone. There is never any activity to warrant bumping into people like they are on facebook.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

My Ride
    Camaro 2SS

Originally posted by buh_buh
    I used to be a recruiter, and Linkedin was probably the best external tool available for finding potential candidates that you couldn't fill using the internal database. So yeah, its useful if you're looking to get headhunted.

It is useful though for keeping in touch with old coworkers that you weren't good enough friends with to see once in a while.
    How do you guys populate these databases typically? I'm not at the stage of my career where I've gotten calls, but a lot of guys I work with mention that they get tons of calls and have no clue how these recruiters get their contact information.

I'm not a recruiter anymore, but it could be any method really.
    If you apply for a position through our website, you get added to the database. We find your profile on linkedin and you look like someone who we think could be a fit for future openings, added to database. Your resume was on Monster and keywords on your resume matched positions that had potential for future opportunities, added into database. If your work info is out there and recruiters see it as a potential future opportunity, you'll get thrown into the database.

My Ride
    X7 40i, Cayenne S, 335i Cab

I found it very useful for networking and connecting with people. We found a few key consultants from the States that way. Also when people email me asking for coffee meeting, I always check for their linkedin profile first. If it looks legit I'll accept the meeting.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

At this point where I have few industry contacts and more or less the same people on LinkIn as I do on facebook, it hasn't served me much purpose. Once it did but that's it.

There are some companies you can follow and organizations (example: CSPG) but for me, it's just another facebook but more professional - kind of.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Facebook is, for the most part, totally private so when I'm Googled they get my LinkedIn and not much else. It's nice not having to worry about what goes on Facebook, what I'm tagged in, etc.

If nothing else it's nice as a way to differentiate private and professional social networking.

My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster

Whenever I build a website for a company, I always create them a LinkedIn profile to increase page ranking and create link backs to the site. Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, create accounts on all of them and it'll move you closer to the first page of Google results. That's the only time I've ever used it for something useful.
    Originally posted by Go4Long
    or else what? you'll turn on the caps lock?
    you do realize this is the internet right? lol
    Originally posted by rob the knob
    mar, you are good guy at heart
    you must realize your limitations
    then you will be happy if you fine place in live
    Originally posted by blitz
    Jesus man, I know you like Transformers, but you need to get out more. No one should get this upset over a movie based on children's toys.

Just use it to keep contacts, in case you're looking for reference or new employer or trying to hire new employees.

My Ride
    acura TYPE A

i think its only good for google results.

I find it an invaluable tool in my daily work. I'm in sales, and it's super useful in finding out who's who in organizations, and finding out about organizations in general. I also use it to keep in touch with former coworkers as I'd rather keep facebook for friends, linkedin for work.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast