Quantcast
For you film guys... - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: For you film guys...

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Default For you film guys...

What made you go to a medium format vs. sticking with a 35mm format? I was originally looking at getting an F100 but some Hasselblads came up on Kijiji as well and it crossed my mind. But then they seem quite a bit more expensive and I'd have to get more lenses so I'm not sure why one would make the jump unless they were enlarging photos by a considerable margin.

PS I didn't find an F100 anyways
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Fiesta ST

Ever looked through a MF viewfinder? It's awesome.

If you're looking for a good entry into 645, I'd suggest Pentax or Bronica. Much cheaper than Hasselblads for both bodies and lenses.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Thanks Ryan.

While we're on the topic of film, is it possible to use a darkroom safe light bulb like this

http://www.adorama.com/DKSLJR.html

when I'm unloading the film canister and loading the reels?
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    a car

Agree with the viewfinder. And MF slides are so mesmerizing.

Consider getting a Yashica TLR to try out the format. Those cameras can be had for pretty cheap.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

In terms of picture quality, the difference between MF and 35mm is tonality. Because the film is so much bigger, MF pictures tend to look a lot more creamier when scaled down. Of course, you can make much larger prints.

And the film is easier to load in the reels

Originally posted by msommers
    Thanks Ryan.

While we're on the topic of film, is it possible to use a darkroom safe light bulb like this

http://www.adorama.com/DKSLJR.html

when I'm unloading the film canister and loading the reels?
    Nope, not unless your film is orthochromatic, which most widely available film is not.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Any particular models you guys would suggest? I'm hoping to find something used w/ at least a lens for ~700-800. Or do I need to spend that much? I'd like to get something worthwhile in any regard. Also, do most medium formats have a built in meter or is that something I have to buy separately? What would I all need essentially.

matt
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    a car

$800 can probably get you a pretty good blad with lens. It can also get you a nice Mamiya 645 with several lenses and accessories. There are many alternatives. So it depends on what you want. You should also consider the camera type (SLR, TLR, rangefinder...) and the film format (6x6, 645, 6x7...) you want.

Newer cameras would usually have light meter built in. Older SLRs and some TLRs have optional metered prism finders. These meters on older cameras are usually uncoupled. I like to use a handheld meter.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Thanks! There seems to be a lot to consider with this. Might have to spend more time researching to see exactly what I "need".
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

See anything you want at keh.com? I'm thinking of ordering a lens from there if you want to split the shipping...

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Man there is so much stuff on KEH I'd take! Unfortunately some unexpected costs have come up recently for work among other things and so hobby funds are getting cut. Wait, I NEED a medium format camera for work right?! Write-offs wooo

What are you looking at getting?
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Nothing exciting. A friend gave me an old Canon FD body he had lying around and I need a normal lens for it since all I have are telephotos.

My Ride
    Tiburon, Hachiroku, AE92 GT-S, Sonata

Originally posted by D'z Nutz
    Nothing exciting. A friend gave me an old Canon FD body he had lying around and I need a normal lens for it since all I have are telephotos.
    You want a canon FD 50 1.8 and 28 2.8? I have spares laying around. Since I don't shoot film professionally anymore, I have no need to stock backup lenses.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Originally posted by AccentAE86

You want a canon FD 50 1.8 and 28 2.8? I have spares laying around. Since I don't shoot film professionally anymore, I have no need to stock backup lenses.
    Sure! I was going to get a 35 f/2 but those will do Check PM

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

My little cousin has taken an interest in photography and I'm thinking about giving him my F100 to use with a 50mm 1.8. This of course would give me an "excuse" to get a MF.

I've been checking out formats and I don't mind 6x6 but prefer the look of 645 or 6x7 or 6x9, mostly landscape stuff. I really like B&W but for some reason I can't seem to convert it very well in LR or PS which is really the only reason I have an interest in film. I found this guy up in Edmonton selling his Mamiya 645 kit but still evaluating if it's a decent deal or not. For 6x7, the Mamiya 7 came up often but damn it's way too much. 6x9's so far have been expensive from what I can tell

http://alberta.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-s...AdIdZ394159524

There is also a 'blad 501 on Kijiji with an 80mm lens. I thought about it until I saw how much a wide angle lens would be

http://alberta.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-s...AdIdZ445015614

At the end of the day, I think I'd prefer 6x9 then a 6x7 as second place if I had a choice but finding a reasonably priced system worth buying is still something I'm investigating.
    Last edited by msommers; 01-06-2013 at 02:20 PM.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    rally pig

the benefit of the Mamiya 6/7 series is that it's a RF, but have you checked the Pentax 6x7/67 series as well which is like a giant SLR.
    Just sold my Pentax 6x7 yesterday otherwise I would have lent it to you but I plan on buying a 67 or 67II in the future.
    my only complaint about these type of cameras is that their back is not changeable, so if you're done a roll, you'll have to open it and put in a new one, unlike the other MF cameras with removable backs, you can pre-load rolls on a bunch of 120 backs and makes loading them on the camera more easily.

btw have you looked into the Fuji GW690? Heard it's a killer MF landscape camera

Derrick will be able to share more thought about hassy as I think he shoots one.

if you want a 645, Ryan has a fantastic Pentax 645N which is on my to buy list w/ the killer 150mm 2.8 (but if you want it first, go for it).
    best thing is that some of the 645N lenses have AF and the Pentax 67 lenses works on the 645 series with adapter.

here's some landscape shot I took with Ryan's 645N

img097-1-Edit by earl.dieta, on Flickr

img050-Edit by earl.dieta, on Flickr

argghh I hate you, now I feel like I'm ready to buy it off Ryan now

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

There is a Fuji 690 on eBay that I was really thinking about today. I didn't realize that it doesn't have a light meter. How much are these usually? Quick search on BH seemed like 300ish. Just bought a D800 so I'm a little gunshy on spending a lot haha but who knows. Let me know what you think of the 65mm 690's on eBay.

I'll look more into the Pentex 67.

I'm not in any rush and you'll probably get more use out of Ryan's than I will right now so go for it.

The mamiya 7 does really look awesome, might just have to save up for it later.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Fiesta ST

If you really want a wide angle, then base your purchase solely around that. Seems like every MF system has good normal lenses, but wide is hard to fill. I think Pentax has the cheapest wide angle at $500-600 for a 35mm 3.5 (21mm equivalent I think).

I've got a Pentax 645N system with the 35mm, 45mm, 75mm and 150mm lenses (actually I have 2 645N bodies and 2 45mm lenses) if you want to try them out to get a feel for them.

Have you thought about going large format? You can get pretty damn compact folding 4x5 camera's and then lens selection gets a lot wider.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

I'll take you up on that test run.

One thing I've kind of convinced myself of is that if I buy a MF of some kind, it won't be new and probably won't lose much/any money on it.

One thing I've read about the Fuji lens is that it's quite constrasty and not as sharp as the mamiya.

Just realized I'd need a different scanner too. Crap.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

I'm reading your posts and I'm not really clear on what you're wants/needs are? Sounds like just medium format on the cheap, preferably 6x9, but 6x7 is a possibility?

Have you ever thought about a folding camera? They're pretty nice and light which would be suitable for backpacking and you can get quite a bit for cheap. If it sounds like something in your alley, check out what Certo6 has to offer.

http://www.certo6.com

He actually CLAs the cameras he sells and in many cases installs new bellows on them. I bought one from him a few years ago after I played around with my friend's.

AGFA Billy Record II by Jesse Yardley, on Flickr

Downside is lenses aren't interchangeable so you're stuck with what you're given. But they're cheap enough you could get a couple haha

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Sorry D' I'm probably thinking out loud and probably should make things more clear.

MF for B&W landscape stuff, most its use would be out in the mountains and city stuff like architecture. Maybe candid and street later but I doubt it honestly.

The Fuji GW690 seems like a winner with the 65mm but no lens interchangeability and optics reported constrasty and not as sharp as the Mamiya 7. I would also require a light meter.

The Mamiya 7 system can change lenses, built in light meter, lenses are reported to be better but slightly more expensive, even accounting for the light meter required. A big benefit here is using a 43mm lens.

The hasselblad system is amazing but expensive. The cost of lenses here is scaring me off rather quickly yet and the 6x6 doesnt seem like a format is take advantage of.

The Pentex 67 I need to look at more tomorrow. It rarely came up in the searches I was doing but definitely need to look harder.

I'll also check out the link you provided. Maybe I could swing by your office potentially next week to check out your MF gear if that works for you.

Thanks guys.
    Matt
    Ultracrepidarian

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast