Quantcast
If you have an Auto Starter- Read this (also,repair advice needed) - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: If you have an Auto Starter- Read this (also,repair advice needed)

My Ride
    92 Prelude 4ws

Default If you have an Auto Starter- Read this (also,repair advice needed)

If you have an auto starter, if you get your car AFTER somebody else drove it ... key start the vehicle.. ALWAYS

Went to CDN tire for the oil change special they have this week, 18bux and get a free snow wiper .. woo! ..

They left my car in gear and I started it as I began wiping snow off it ... the car jolted forward with me standing right there, I watched it rear end a truck and push it into the parking lot almost hitting another vehicle, my hood/headlight/fender crunched right on the end . .

Luckily, nothing seems out of alignment except the headlight.

I found the owner of the truck and he's like no worries (he had a scratch and bumper pushed in ~1/4" ) .. I'm so choked .. no other shops I've been to have left my car in gear .. oiy .. bad luck.

So .. repair advice? .. any good import yards that'll sell hood/fender for cheapy .. 4gen Preludes are rare at wrecking yards it seems .. jdm shops around with BB1 front clips ??

My Ride
    dog sled

the newer honda parts are run by a monopoly, A1 honda parts buys almost all used written off/smashed hondas newer then 91.

but honestly now, go back to crappy tire and complain, I'm sure they'll atleast give you free floor mats or something.

a good starter won't start your car in gear

My Ride
    92 Prelude 4ws

I thought about talking to the manager ... I may on monday because I'd hate to see other people go through this and dont see it unreasonable for the shop to implement a warning to customers with 5spd and remote start (especially in winter) that cars might be left in gear ..

There is a sign under my hood saying I have remote start and to contact the owner on how to disable so its up in the air .. if anything I should get free paint and bondo .. but I'm pretty sure I'm on my own on this one .. I'll give A1 a call tomorrow

DJPacman: I've got the compustar, one of the first avail but I dont think the Neutral Start sensor or whatever its called is enabled.. I'll be getting that done in the near future.
    DannyO

Oh yea, I also met Doris..

this happened to someone i know too. after they got there car done at canadian tire. left the car in gear and also didnt pull up the e-brake. the car ended hitting another car and he told me his car is pretty bad.

My Ride
    92 Prelude 4ws

As for the damage I dont know about popping the dents, the hood looks very possible .. but the fender .. eeeh .. dunno.

Here's other photos,

SIDE VIEW

TOP VIEW

add .orig.jpg for full size photos

Its hard to see because its so bright from snow etc.

Where is it written that the proper parking procedure for a manual transmission car involves putting it in gear ?
    DannyO

Originally posted by yohan4ws
    Where is it written that the proper parking procedure for a manual transmission car involves putting it in gear ?
    It's normal procedure.

From http://www.standardshift.com/faq.html

A habit that one needs to get used to is always to set the parking brake when parking, especially on hills. Unlike automatics, there is no locked parking position with a manual transmission, only the internal friction of the non-running motor. Make sure you set the parking brake first and let up on the brakes to make sure it is engaged fully, then leave the gearshift in reverse or 1st.

Lurking in some bushes outside your house
    My Ride
    S14/D21

Mine wont start in gear. The e-brake has to be up and the foot off the clutch when the car is turned off in order for it to start later.....Shitty it happened to you.

My Ride
    '99 cbr 600

Originally posted by angierideswitme
    the newer honda parts are run by a monopoly, A1 honda parts buys almost all used written off/smashed hondas newer then 91.

but honestly now, go back to crappy tire and complain, I'm sure they'll atleast give you free floor mats or something.
    Canadian Tire won't do shit there such a bunch of useless pricks...They'll rip you off any way they can....Their argument will be "if you had installed the right starter (ie:for cars w/ a MT) then your car wouldn't have started, you just took the easy way out and treated the car like an automatic and didn't hook up the clutch/e-brake trip". Even though many people do this, they will fight to the death that you are wrong.

Never once had a good experience w/ Can. Tire. If possible stay as far a way from Crappy Tire as you can when looking to get a vehicle fixed... All the same it's 100% ur fault...sorry
    Last edited by cbr_ryder; 01-26-2004 at 12:06 PM.

My Ride
    335i

Canadian Tire does not have to do anything for you since your starter is ILLEGAL. Insurance will fault you 100% since it's illegal to have a car starter in a standard transmission that isn't designed for your car.
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    CH9

This IS NOT Crappy tires fault!!!
    It is your own damn fault for being dumb enough to have an AUTOMATIC starter in your 5SPD!!.
    Suck it up there is nothing you can do about this it in no ones problem but your own, go find some used parts and the PULL OUT THAT STARTER!!!

My Ride
    dog sled

^^^and then get impressions to install a new one right?

My Ride
    92 Prelude 4ws

wow .. geeze .. lots of people are emotional about this ..

Autodream installed the alarm .. it was on prior to my purchasing of the vehicle .. the Ebrake was set, but AFAIK thats the back tires isn't it ?? .. in an FWD car on ice .. see the pic above for the result.

My starter wont work if the E-brake is not engaged.. Hence my saying I want to get the NSS installed.

Had my vehicle been left with the car NOT in first gear like I had left it .. this would not have happened. Had my car had the sensor to disable the starter when the vehicle was in gear .. this would not have happened. Had it not been snowing, I would have sat in my car and started it, I would have taken it out of gear ..

No need fo reverybody to get theri panties in a twist ... It was, as stated in the original thread, BAD LUCK. Is CDN tire accountable? ..

Well , doesnt accountability where money is involved always end up to who has the better lawyer? .. Like I Said, im pretty sure im on my own ...

Anybody else have suggestions for repairs for me to help me get over this quickly and cheaply?
    DannyO

My Ride
    KTM

Originally posted by Weapon_R
    Canadian Tire does not have to do anything for you since your starter is ILLEGAL. Insurance will fault you 100% since it's illegal to have a car starter in a standard transmission that isn't designed for your car.
    [i]This IS NOT Crappy tires fault!!!
    It is your own damn fault for being dumb enough to have an AUTOMATIC starter in your 5SPD!!.
    Suck it up there is nothing you can do about this it in no ones problem but your own, go find some used parts and the PULL OUT THAT STARTER!!![/B]

My Ride
    UCF20/R35

I have a hood if you need one dude

Originally posted by rage2
    Can someone who speaks brown please translate this for me please?

My Ride
    92 Prelude 4ws

^^ CraigCD when I said AUTO I meant automatic starter .. which perhaps I should have referred to as remote starter .. which in the manual has instructions for installing it onto a manual transmission car .. which as I read more I find it has nothing to do with the neutral sensor switch or detecting if its in gear ..

Since when did these becoming illegal in Canada ??

Shadowz ... PM'd .
    DannyO

snip..............
    Since when did these becoming illegal in Canada ??
    ........snip
    Since owners like you who install the wrong starters on thier manual transmission cars and have instances of people getting run over and cars being hit.

Sucks that it happened, but I can't see it being Canadian Tire's fault unless you told them specifically not to leave it in gear since you have the wrong starter installed. If I saw a warming sticker about a car starter, I would have assumed that it was installed correctly with safeguards in place. (neutral switch sensor). With my manual transmission cars, I always leave them in gear as the e-brake tends to bind and freeze in the cold weather. Natural habit for me, good thing I don't have a starter I suppose.

My Ride
    92 Prelude 4ws

So .. I called the police dept ... and the traffic act .. and they advised me to call Transport Canada ..

So far out of 3 cops none of them have heard about a Remote Starter for a manual transmission car being illegal. ..

I talked to one shop they said $350 for hood/fender full painting .. and ~$125 for a new fender if aftermarket is available / needed.

Isn't there a JDM Auto Yard near Edmonton? .. gonna call jdmsource.ca also to see if a Red Fender/Hood is available.
    DannyO

So .. I called the police dept ... and the traffic act .. and they advised me to call Transport Canada ..

So far out of 3 cops none of them have heard about a Remote Starter for a manual transmission car being illegal. ..
    he means illegal for a faulty install like yours, not just any remote starter.

Not sure if its actually illegal for you, my guess is it is just illegal for the shop to install it. Many shops will not do it.

and shops should usually leave your car in 1st or Reverse depending on the slope. If you really wanted to be a bitch and want to get your lawyer after someone, it would probably be autodream, not Canadian Tire. But don't be a bitch.
    Last edited by szw; 01-26-2004 at 11:51 AM.

My Ride
    '21 F150 Lariat Nardo Grey

When my car is at a shop or whatever, I leave a couple Post-It notes on the steering wheel and shift knob.

"Pull e-brake, and put the car in neutral."

Works well!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast