Quantcast
The Future of Earth - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: The Future of Earth

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Default The Future of Earth

I want to get an overall consensus from Beyond on how they feel about multiple issues that will likely be affecting us or our children (or their children).

Our global capacity has long been maxed for some time now and yet here we are. Still, there are many issues on the horizon that I personally feel we can not just escape unless we change what we are doing.

The first issue I foresee is tied to all the other issues that I would like to bring up, human population. Humans have been expanding and at an incredible rate. Some cultures and religions encourage families to have vast numbers of children while other countries are limiting the amount of children one family can have. Off topic, I'm at 26 and have no children. I know people younger and older with children. For me it's a difficult situation to have a child (or children) from a strictly mental standpoint. People with children will say that their kids bring them the most joy they have ever experienced in their life and wouldn't trade that feeling for anything in this world. This is not surprising and quite natural as all species reproduce. But I know some families are ridiculed because they feel that they shouldn't be having a child. The families with children would call those parents selfish while the families without children would in fact call those families selfish for their own personal joy. Non-child families have other reasons but I know some would justify by saying that our planet is filled with more than enough people, why do we need to add more to it? Which brings up an interesting position, is having a child or even more than one child a responsible thing to do given the state we're in?

Of course with an increase in the human population brings strains on everything we need to survive. The first and foremost being fresh water. The second issue is food. A National Geographic article highlighted the problem quite well. In short, we're not diversifying our food because we're after resistant plants with high yield. The biggest problem of course is what if a disease decimates that type of crop? Not even looking at the human population trajectory, our current size would drastically decrease via starvation. The obvious thing to do is diversify while simultaneously increasing yield. In turn, this could bring up a whole new issue of scientists genetically modifying plants to a whole new level and would people be content with that or would there be resistance? In addition, research is being conducted to modify annual staple crops into perennials. Needless to say, when we decided on our staples, we didn't pick them very well.

The last issue, and in my opinion the least important of the previously discussed, is unfortunately the most publicized, energy resources. I don't feel there is a whole lot to talk about here as everyone knows what is happening and the direction(s) we need to go.

So in short, what is your overall opinion on how humans will prosper? Are you assuming the technology will come that will revolutionize our future? Despite Beyond being minute sample size in the overall population (especially the North American one), I'm still quite curious on how people feel about this or if they've even thought about it up until now.

Edited typos.
    Last edited by msommers; 10-23-2011 at 11:15 AM.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    CRF 250L

Well worth the time to watch:

http://www.chrismartenson.com/crashcourse
    TRUTH: it's the new hate speech.
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act. - Orwell

My Ride
    D40/ED9/R6

I don't know exactly how humans will prosper, but it won't include government laws or regulations or putting people in prison or pointing guns at people.
    "Anarchism is not a romantic fable but the hardheaded realization, based on five thousand years of experience, that we cannot entrust the management of our lives to kings, priests, politicians, generals, and county commissioners."

Have you heard of The Venus Project? IDK if that's the way to go...

http://www.thevenusproject.com/

But again, mankind itself has been debating on which system is best to live in for a long time, throughout the number of centuries, and still are debating to this day.
    Does everything matter or does nothing matter?

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Default Re: The Future of Earth

Originally posted by msommers

So in short, what is your overall opinion on how humans will prosper? Are you assuming the technology will come that will revolutionize our future? Despite Beyond being minute sample size in the overall population (especially the North American one), I'm still quite curious on how people feel about this and if they've even thought about it up until now.
    The people having children are far outweighing the people who don't, and will for decades (if not centuries) to come. Overpopulation will be harder to overcome than environmentalism, as it's in our genetics to breed (or it's god's "will" depending who you talk to, lol)

People who don't have children right now, in our country, are doing it for selfish reasons ($$$), NOT because it's helping humanity. They just like to have an excuse.

This all being said, I'm 33 (wife is 30), and we don't have children, and are still on the fence. If we don't, I'm not deluding myself with the lie, I know it's for monetary gain, or rather lack of monetary loss, and also not having the responsibility.
    Last edited by Tik-Tok; 10-23-2011 at 12:15 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    93 integra

I never want kids because i feel by the time they reach 16 the world will be so messed up they'd hate me as a parent for bringing them into this quickly dying world...

My Ride
    93 integra

Would like to add that we probably have the intelligence and technology to solve 95% of current problems on our planet but we are sitting idly by as our world suffers at our hands...so sad.

My Ride
    Nothing

I wish we could implement selective breeding instead of letting every hick be able to pop out as many crotch-fruit as they want.

I have 0 plans for children because I don't want that responsibility or, more importantly, expense.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

I need to have kids, I would be doing the world an injustice, my genetics can't go to waste.

My Ride
    Ferd Fteen Thousand

Originally posted by Modelexis
    I don't know exactly how humans will prosper, but it won't include government laws or regulations or putting people in prison or pointing guns at people.
    Do you really think we are going to end a tradition since the begging of civilization?

My Ride
    X6, E55

How about ascending to a new world?

http://awakeningasone.com/
    http://www.in5d.com/
    Last edited by Nels; 10-23-2011 at 04:20 AM.

My Ride
    D40/ED9/R6

Originally posted by Maybelater
    Do you really think we are going to end a tradition since the begging of civilization?
    My signature has already answered your question.
    "Anarchism is not a romantic fable but the hardheaded realization, based on five thousand years of experience, that we cannot entrust the management of our lives to kings, priests, politicians, generals, and county commissioners."

Default Re: Re: The Future of Earth

Originally posted by Tik-Tok

People who don't have children right now, in our country, are doing it for selfish reasons ($$$), NOT because it's helping humanity. They just like to have an excuse.

This all being said, I'm 33 (wife is 30), and we don't have children, and are still on the fence. If we don't, I'm not deluding myself with the lie, I know it's for monetary gain, or rather lack of monetary loss, and also not having the responsibility.
    LOL. i don't have kids, and don't have plans for them eitehr... but it's certainly not for financial reasons, LOL. IMO, money is the last concern that would factor into that decision.

Originally posted by ekguy
    Would like to add that we probably have the intelligence and technology to solve 95% of current problems on our planet but we are sitting idly by as our world suffers at our hands...so sad.
    this.

Human population is definitely a problem. IMO, having one or no children is the responsible thing to do for the next generation. Here is an interesting article I came across:

http://www.mnn.com/earth-matters/cli...nest-conqueror

My Ride
    Silverado

^^ so what you're suggesting is we kill 40 million Chinese?!
    I think it is irresponsible for people in North America to not have children. We have one of the safest and secure places on earth to raise a family. White people should also pop off a couple kids so we don't become an endangered species. Lol.

Originally posted by ekguy
    The problem is that it is human nature is to do nothing until something bad happens. As a whole I think we have a completely reactionary mentality, why? Probably the money and the effort needed to make a difference are too high, so why do anything if you neighbor isn't and is living much better for it?

We all condem (and rightly so) the 18 that walked by the toddler in china. But really we aren't conditioned much differently, we drift through life in search of monetary and personal fulfillment while the data showing our current and projected levels of consumption spell extinction for the human race screams at us to stop and do something about it. But why do we ignore it? No one wants to give up their lifestyle just so that we can prevent something from occurring that won't even effect us in our lifetime.

I personally believe that no serious action will be taken until it is much too late and the human race will end up extinct or dangerously close.

Originally posted by dirtsniffer
    ^^ so what you're suggesting is we kill 40 million Chinese?!
    I think it is irresponsible for people in North America to not have children. We have one of the safest and secure places on earth to raise a family. White people should also pop off a couple kids so we don't become an endangered species. Lol.
    No, that article just gives a different perspective on human impact on the environment. Even in Ghengis Khan's time when there was no CO2 emitting automobiles/factories and people led relatively less wasteful lives, the reduction in human population by 40 million resulted in a noticeable change to the environment.

Greenies are always criticizing SUVs and the American way of life to be the cause of global warming and whatnot (which no doubt it does contribute), but inherently the problem is population and the want for each individual to have excess.

I believe that sometime in the next 50 years, the Earth's temperature will suddenly skyrocket over the space of weeks, causing an extinction event. It will happen with little warning, although was we get closer, people will have a greater understanding that it will happen, and why.

Even Ignorant climate-change-denialist posts from JRSCOOLDUDE no longer bother me, as it's too late to do anything about it - It's in progress, and unstoppable. Even if the path was cleared of morons like him, and all of our resources brought to bear, there's nothing we can do at this point.

The American space program was the last chance we had to get off the planet and make our way elsewhere. Subsequent space programs will lack the resources and projection power. We are stuck here.

Humanity was the Earth's last shot at projecting itself into space. Humanity has failed itself, and the Earth. All that's left is to ride it out to the end, living mindfully and with gratitude.

This realization cause me great distress previously.

I am at peace with it now.
    Last edited by LollerBrader; 10-23-2011 at 11:29 AM.

Default Re: Re: Re: The Future of Earth

Last edited by 01RedDX; 10-13-2020 at 06:51 PM.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast