Quantcast
Samsung's Smartphone Sales Surpass Apple's - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Samsung's Smartphone Sales Surpass Apple's

Default Samsung's Smartphone Sales Surpass Apple's

Samsung's Smartphone Sales Surpass Apple's

Samsung Electronics Co.'s third-quarter net profit fell 23%, the company said on Friday, but that was less than expected as strong sales of smartphones offset weakness in other consumer products and electronic components.

Samsung in the July-to-September period surpassed Apple Inc. as the leading seller of smartphones by shipping around 28 million, about four times the number it achieved a year earlier, in a rapid transformation of its biggest business by sales. Apple said earlier this month it shipped around 17 million smartphones in the same period.

Samsung in the period also closed in on Nokia Corp. as the world's largest seller of all cellphones.

Samsung's telecom division, which accounted for 36% of revenue, provided more than half of the firm's operating profit and experienced its best profit margin since 2004. Smartphones provided about 31% of the division's revenue and more than 80% of its operating profit, analysts estimate.

According to market research firm Strategy Analytics, global smartphone shipments in the third quarter grew 44% from a year earlier to reach a record 117 million units. It said Samsung's share of the smartphone market rose to 23.8% during the quarter from 9.3%, while Apple's market share fell to 14.6% from 17.4%. Nokia Corp. saw its share fall sharply to 14.4% from 32.7%.

Meanwhile, the performance of Samsung's chip division, traditionally its biggest source of profits, fell, though not as sharply as expected. Sales of memory chips for higher-margin servers in data centers helped the unit overcome weaknesses in chips for personal computers.

Regarding the severe floods in Thailand, a Samsung executive said the disaster would weigh on sales of personal computers in the fourth quarter due to slower supply of hard drives, but said it will also boost demand for solid-state drives and NAND flash memory chips.

Executives said they expected the fourth quarter to remain solid as demand for smartphones will remain high and sales for other consumer electronics products will enter their yearly peak season. Samsung is on track to report its second-biggest annual net profit ever after last year's record 16.2 trillion won ($14.64 billion).

Samsung's third-quarter net profit amounted to 3.44 trillion won, or $3.11 billion, in the July-September period. Samsung earned 4.46 trillion won in the same period a year earlier. Revenue was 41.27 trillion won, up 3% from 40.23 trillion won a year earlier.

The net figure was higher than the average 3.20 trillion won net profit forecast in a poll of six analysts by Dow Jones Newswires. The results helped boost Samsung's share price to 934,000 won, up 1.1% at 1:34pm local time, outpacing the Kospi's 0.5% rise.

The company since April has been engaged in a high-profile legal battle with Apple over smartphone and tablet computer patents and lost some preliminary court rulings in several countries. But Friday's results showed the dispute has had little impact on its performance.

Samsung's telecom unit reported operating profit of 2.52 trillion won, about 59% of the company's overall operating profit of 4.25 trillion won.

Although the Korean electronics giant didn't provide an overall capital expenditure plan for next year, it said investment in non-memory chips and advanced flat displays is expected to increase sharply from this year.

Earlier this year, parent company Samsung Group budgeted 43.1 trillion won for investments in 2011, up 18% from the 36.5 trillion won spent in 2010. At that time, South Korea's biggest conglomerate said it would invest 10.3 trillion won of the total in the semiconductor sector this year. Samsung had originally planned to spend around 5.8 trillion won on its memory chip business this year and use the remainder for non-memory chip operations.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

My Ride
    1992 KA-T Silvia

Not hard to do when apple has 1 new release and Samsung has 1 every week.. Not to mention the price point differences in their phones.
    Apple still = teh shit

My Ride
    '10 Civic

Originally posted by lellowrx7
    Not hard to do when apple has 1 new release and Samsung has 1 every week.. Not to mention the price point differences in their phones.
    Apple still = teh shit

Samsung pawns off alot of cheaper smartphones.

My Ride
    F30

Samsung FTW
    Originally posted by Ven
    If you find a chic the there with a stick shift don't be alarmed. It's just the performance model, go ahead and ride it like you stole it.

My Ride
    Mazda 3 GT

What's the news here? Apple already said last week that thei sales were down in the summer period because of anticipation for the new iPhone.

This is just commonplace posturing from Samsung. Nothing wrong with it (you'd expect them to do it) but nothing to read into either.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE

Stop with the antics. Beyonder.

My Ride
    FZ6, Ford Raptor, Audi A3 Sport Comp.

Why is it that higher sales figures from another company make people instantly jump on the defending the iPhone bandwagon?

More sales does not equal better product, just better sales. Sales are driven by price, marketing, availability, consumer perception and eventually by product quality.

The same can be said about the iPhone, it is an excellent device but it lacks some major key features that other phones do not. Still it sells better than almost any other single device.

These sales numbers do indeed warrant some further digging. The fact that the iPhone sold less and Samsung has sold more phones indicates that the iPhone factor is slowly wearing away. Just a couple of years ago Android phones were a niche for tech geeks and budget conscious consumers. Now they have become as much a fashion statement as the iPhone is.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Given that Apple just released their new phone and Samsung has released the Galaxy II(X), Q4 might be a better indicator of phone sales.

Either way, Apple guys get so defensive about their product. But hey, if I spent that much, I would want to as well!
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    00 Protege

I think it's great that Samsung has done so well. However I think timin was everything there; that quarter the consumers were awaiting the hyped iPhone 5 to drop. It didn't happen.

The kicker is that the galaxy sold 3 million est in 55 days and the iPhone 4s sold 4 million the first weekend.

By no means do I think that Samsung is going to take over the market and that apple will flounder.

I am however absolutely sickened by the back and forth lawsuits. It's so difficult to determine what's a ripoff and just something that is universal in the GUI world.

Wait a minute. Samsung doesn’t provide specific numbers, so we are going to take their word that shipments jumped 40 percent? To make matters worse, Strategy Analytics “estimates” sales of 28 million devices.

Where the hell did they get that number?
    http://www.loopinsight.com/2011/10/2...phone-numbers/

My Ride
    A car... beep! beep!

dp
    Last edited by ZEDGE; 10-30-2011 at 10:33 AM.

My Ride
    A car... beep! beep!

Originally posted by mazda_maniac
    I think it's great that Samsung has done so well. However I think timin was everything there; that quarter the consumers were awaiting the hyped iPhone 5 to drop. It didn't happen.

The kicker is that the galaxy sold 3 million est in 55 days and the iPhone 4s sold 4 million the first weekend.

By no means do I think that Samsung is going to take over the market and that apple will flounder.

I am however absolutely sickened by the back and forth lawsuits. It's so difficult to determine what's a ripoff and just something that is universal in the GUI world.
    4S was launched in US and many other countries at the same time. The Galaxy S 2 sales were before it even launched in the US.

Its too bad Apples response to the explosive growth of Android has been to try and block sales and horseshit litigation based on completely broken patent laws.

Prime example

http://www.androidcentral.com/apple-...ey-invented-it

Then theres Microshaft, making more money off Android sales then off their own pathetic phone sales. Smart on their part.

/looks at source...

Sure.
    Last edited by ZEDGE; 10-30-2011 at 11:12 AM.

Apple beats android, iPhone rocks and android sucks. Android beats apple, they bitch about the way the stats are measured.

Sound like Flames or Leafs fans.

My Ride
    A car... beep! beep!

Ya well my dad will beat up yours.

Originally posted by ZEDGE
    Ya well my dad will beat up yours.
    FYI I was agreeing with you.

My Ride
    F10M/F87/NA2/W220/V90/E46ZHP/SE3P/DC2

lol @ at the apple fanboys

My Ride
    A car... beep! beep!

Originally posted by Cos

FYI I was agreeing with you.
    I'm aware.

My Ride
    LHD CYM R1 FD3S

Originally posted by Team_Mclaren
    lol @ at the apple fanboys
    +1

It's like arguing with religious people... it's fuckin hopeless.

My Ride
    00 Protege

The galaxy s II numbers were global numbers.

I would just like to state as opposed to the general assumption of this thread I am NOT an Apple fan boy.

I use their products cause they work; I do however have critical thoughts about them as well.

The only thing worse than an apple fanboy is android fanboys.
    Last edited by mazda_maniac; 10-31-2011 at 01:12 AM.

My Ride
    Bicycle

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_gala...s5660-3741.php

A gingerbread phone like this can be had for as low as $100 with no contract, unlocked. Samsung got every market covered.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 10-31-2011 at 07:13 PM.

My Ride
    Mazda 3 GT

The problem with Apple fanboyism is that it created an environment where legitimate points that favor Apple are lumped in with the other dogmatic crap. So the people who come down on Apple fanboys fail to see even the logical arguments, becoming almost as blind as the people they are criticizing.

Let me make my point another way. Company X beat Company Y in sales for a specific time frame. However, Company Y isn't worried because at the beginning of that time frame, the release date for their new product was leaked, which was outside of that time frame. This means that consumers held off because they opted to wait instead for the new product, causing in a dip in sales for that specific time frame.

Get it now?
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE

Stop with the antics. Beyonder.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast