Quantcast
Does anyone else ride in the winter? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Does anyone else ride in the winter?

My Ride
    TDI

Default Does anyone else ride in the winter?

Commuted in the winter last year and plan to again this year.

I drive to a park n' bike so I've pretty much got priority 1 snow removal pathways the whole way.

Studded tires and proper clothes and it's not too bad.

Just wondering if anyone else rides in the white.

I've never needed studded tires, but I've bought them for this winter.

When are you going to put the tires on? I'm still on slicks.

My Ride
    TDI

Only really need the studs when there is ice. Although the extra knobbiness of the tires helps in the snow. I'm waiting until the first real good dump. On dry pavement they are really rough to ride on and slow you down, plus it's not very good for the tires (just like winter car tires on warm dry pavement).

Cool, I'll switch to knobbies for now. Supposed to snow on Friday. I was fine on slicks on Monday though, and I still saw a lot of roadies this week.

I commute in the winter from Cougar Ridge to downtown. Haven't required studs yet however would have helped on a bail I had last year. Have two bikes for winter commuting a 29'r singlespeed for really shitty conditions and a 'cross bike with fenders for everything else. The salt mix they put on the road has gotten worst for bicycle components, seem to have to replace either a FD or RD every year now along with chain.

My Ride
    TDI

Ya I know I'm lucky to have paths pretty much the whole way. I might try riding the whole 17K a few times. It's about 9K from the park n' bike to work.

How's the ride up Bow Tr going home in the winter (Assuming that's the way you go)?

You guys have any cold weather gear recommendations?

Here's one of my favs: http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___35141

My Ride
    TDI

I've been through quite a few face protection options. A lot of them don't let me breathe deep enough. Holes for the mouth are usually too small. I usually can't breathe through my nose very good (year round allergies).

When it gets cold enough I have to wear face protection I usually change to my ski helmet and goggles because I can't keep my glasses from fogging up. Not buying specialized winter bike gear since I already ski and have this stuff.

I picked up a set of neoprene paddling gloves from MEC to try this winter. Waterproof and warm... just don't know yet how low they'll be good to.

Originally posted by megavolt
    I've been through quite a few face protection options. A lot of them don't let me breathe deep enough. Holes for the mouth are usually too small. I usually can't breathe through my nose very good (year round allergies).

When it gets cold enough I have to wear face protection I usually change to my ski helmet and goggles because I can't keep my glasses from fogging up. Not buying specialized winter bike gear since I already ski and have this stuff.

I picked up a set of neoprene paddling gloves from MEC to try this winter. Waterproof and warm... just don't know yet how low they'll be good to.
    Try the gore wind stopper balaclava, it's the only one ive tried that i actually like.

In terms of clothing i have the sugoi firewall gloves for anything colder than -10. For -10 to -20 i wear a long sleeve wicking layer with a wool insulating layer and a shell, that takes me to -20. Any colder and I go with a full gore shell and down insulating layer.

For the lower body windstopper pants take me to -10, any colder and I just layer different longjohns. -10 to -15 simple poly tights, -15 to -25 fleece tights.

My Ride
    TDI

Originally posted by bigboom

Try the gore wind stopper balaclava, it's the only one ive tried that i actually like.
    Where did you get yours?

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

I think I saw them at costco last night.

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

Where did you get yours?
    i got mine from "the bike shop" on 10the ave. if costco has them as per codetrap it may be cheaper there.

My Ride
    TDI

Well we're into it now. First snow kind of sucked. Ride home was brutal. Second snow wasn't too bad a ride home, not as much ice underneath.

I've got the studded tires on now. I hate how much the knobbiness slows me down, but they add a ton of confidence.

I'm still riding my full 17.5K every day, boy it's a lot harder in the cold. I'll probably only do the half rides when there's a ton of snow on the ground. As it is I'm semi-terrified of the parts I have to ride on the roads.

I've got the studded tires on now. I hate how much the knobbiness slows me down, but they add a ton of confidence.

I put on the 2.1" studded tires on for this week just in time for the chinook... boo! Feel so slow, and hate seeing the hybrid/cross bikes pass me. We'll see how they fair on Friday. Today is going to suck the wind conditions.

My Ride
    TDI

I live in the NE... love the west wind.

My Ride
    TDI

Wow... this morning was fun.

Rode the whole 17K into work. Took me 15 minutes longer than usual and a lot harder ride.

And the snow wasn't even that deep.

Might have to start driving to the park n' bike again so I'm not late for work.

Crazy weather! I was stripping off layers and gloves last night on the way home. This morning, house music on, +7C, less weight/clothes, and with tailwind I was hitting 37kmh and averaged 33kmh on a mtb bike with 2.1" tires.

My Ride
    TDI

and it's supposed to drop to 0 during the day (still pretty warm)... Crazy weather indeed.

Quite the experience today.
    I was all good except for fingers and the tiny spot on my nose between my goggles and face mask lol.

Need to use the pogies tomorrow.

My Ride
    Ram 1500, '68 Camaro, S14

Originally posted by phreezee
    Quite the experience today.
    I was all good except for fingers and the tiny spot on my nose between my goggles and face mask lol.

Need to use the pogies tomorrow.
    You're a fucking machine lol

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast