Quantcast
Anyone try this light/security cam combo? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Anyone try this light/security cam combo?

My Ride
    Has four wheels

Would you need a computer with Blue Iris running all the time in order for the Foscams to record?

My Ride
    TRD Pro

It says it comes with free software... I think the Blue Iris is the multicam monitoring

The camera itself has a small webserver built into it, so you can use it out of the box without any additional software. I can log in to the camera from my phone/browser and have full access to it. This built in software handles the motion detecting, and some basic recording. You can either manually start it, or have it auto-record when it detects motion. I don't know how long it records though, as I've only had it a couple days, and haven't played with that yet. I do know it can automatically email you or upload to an ftp server when it records something.

If you'd like fancy recording features, centrally manage/record multiple cameras, keep a longer history, etc...you do have to have Blue Iris or some other (http://www.gadgetvictims.com/2009/08...foscam-ip.html) software running on a computer somewhere. I know my friend found Blue Iris to be the most reliable one.

Oh... and the free software that it comes with that installs on your windows/mac pc from what I can tell only does the auto-discovery of what cameras show up on your network. It doesn't do anything else. So you don't really need that to run your cameras.
    Last edited by chengj; 02-01-2012 at 02:22 PM.

Originally posted by chengj
    Not sure if anyone is still interested, but just to suggest another alternative... My friend recommended Foscam (http://foscam.ca/) as he had outfitted his shop completely with these (I think he's up to a few dozen).

I just picked one up myself and it's pretty impressive. $70-$90 (It's always on sale, I bought mine for the Martin Luther King day sale for $75. I think there's a new sale every week or two). I grabbed the 'Foscam FI8918W (Black)' model. I am planning on using it as a baby cam...

It is wireless, supports full pan and tilt, has IR included and the software is free. Oh, and it has two way audio. It has motion detect built in. I think it does some basic recording. it works with many other commercial software packages too, if you want some additional recording capabilities. There are many IPad/Android Apps (paid and free) that support it if that's important to you.

Setup took a couple minutes. Plug into router. Log into Camera. Change Password. Configure Wifi. Done. Now the one I bought is obviously indoor, but they do have outdoor cameras as well, which my friend has in his setup.
    thanks for the tip

can u post any pics of the quality? i figure its probably time to upgrade mine. and do these cameras still need a power cord running to them or are they completely wireless?

I will see if I can't record a short video to demo the quality.

The camera I have does not have an internal battery, so you do need to plug it in somewhere. I cannot comment on the outdoor cameras.

Also of note, I believe you can swap out the lenses for different viewing angles.

Great third party site with lots of info about the Foscam series cameras: http://www.gadgetvictims.com/search/label/Foscam (You can see some sample shots from the cameras here)

Ya I would love to see a video day and night too if you have IR. Basically, could you make out details of someone, if you were using it for security purposes?

Outdoor camera needs to be plugged in.

There's also Security Spy for Mac users. Foscam compatible as listed on their site.
    http://www.bensoftware.com/securityspy/

My Ride
    TRD Pro

Seems to be quite a few decent apps as well for viewing..
    iCam-$4.99
    Foscam Viewer $4.99
    Live Cam Pro $3.99

Originally posted by R-Audi
    Seems to be quite a few decent apps as well for viewing..
    More here:
    http://www.e-foscam.com/foscam-apps-software.html

Waiting on some video samples.

Then are we up for a group buy? The guy said there's discounts on bulk orders. I'm sure we could get 10, just from people on this thread. I'm looking at 2 personally.
    I can arrange the group buy.

My Ride
    TRD Pro

Mine should arrive within a week.. but if it works well I could certainly buy another.
    I got mine primarily as a baby monitor, but seems like they would be great for home security...

Originally posted by mr2mike

Then are we up for a group buy? The guy said there's discounts on bulk orders. I'm sure we could get 10, just from people on this thread. I'm looking at 2 personally.
    Sorry, I wasn't able to make some video samples... I will try and get to it this weekend.

If you don't want to wait... there are a lot of test videos all over youtube.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

How visible are the IR led's when on?
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    TRD Pro

Originally posted by Tik-Tok
    How visible are the IR led's when on?
    Infared lights should be invisible to the human eye....

IR led's are invisible to the human eye. So you can't see them. I'm assuming you want to know how good the night vision is?

I've seen some "security cameras" with red led's all around the lens that make you think its got IR vision... they don't. They're cheap knock off cameras.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

IR led's are invisible to the human eye. So you can't see them. I'm assuming you want to know how good the night vision is?

I've seen some "security cameras" with red led's all around the lens that make you think its got IR vision... they don't. They're cheap knock off cameras.
    I just got an email back from Foscam with the same question, and they said theirs turn red and are visible

However they also said some people cover the lights with black tape, and the night vision still works. The red light is just to let you know it's on.

edit: I'd be interested in a group buy of the outdoor ones.
    Last edited by Tik-Tok; 02-02-2012 at 10:36 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    Has four wheels

I'd have to see the video and night vision quality first. I've got an old desktop I could use for recording/storing the video. But then on the other hand, I have no clue how well the streaming will work over wifi.

Might need to get one of those powerline network adapters, to run a wired network connection to the camera outside. That would probably work better than wi-fi, but on the other hand, I doubt that adapter will work when its -30 outside.

Of course, the alternative is those cameras by Logitech. You get HD video and built-in powerline networking...but they're expensive.

Originally posted by Stealth22

Of course, the alternative is those cameras by Logitech. You get HD video and built-in powerline networking...but they're expensive.
    I have the alert system and although its pricey, its well worth the money. The quality is fantastic (both build and picture) and the setup is idiot proof. Everything you need to get going is in one box.

My Ride
    Has four wheels

Originally posted by spike98
    I have the alert system and although its pricey, its well worth the money. The quality is fantastic (both build and picture) and the setup is idiot proof. Everything you need to get going is in one box.
    Can you remotely pan/zoom those cameras at all? (And for that matter, can the Foscams do that?)

ill grab 1 for sure. maybe a second outdoor one too

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast