Quantcast
Not another Oil rig thread: Need help ASAP tho - Page 5 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Not another Oil rig thread: Need help ASAP tho

My Ride
    '06 300C SRT8, '04 ZX6R

Please god don't waste your time working seismic. A lot of people make that mistake when they first look into working up north.

For $12/hour and shitty/long days, I'd rather work in town.

Get a proper job up north, make proper money and you'll be a lot happier.

I don't even get out of bed for less than $450/day now haha

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

What are you doing?
    Ultracrepidarian

I'd like to agree, did seismic for a few days, going back to being a floorhand/roughneck
    Fuck seismic.

If you like walking through a field all day with a bunch of stoners all the power to you.

Roughnecking is where it's at, why did I even try seismic?

My Ride
    06 F-150

Originally posted by HomespunLobster
    I'd like to agree, did seismic for a few days, going back to being a floorhand/roughneck
    Fuck seismic.

If you like walking through a field all day with a bunch of stoners all the power to you.

Roughnecking is where it's at, why did I even try seismic?
    I did seismic before I ever did anything in the oil field. Was pumped an oil company wanted me, and I figured that I had it made. Man was I wrong. I got shipped out of Calgary for like a 12 hour plus drive to Dawson Creek, and found out I'd now be working 14 hour days atleast, and was going to get like 2 days off a month. Couldn't even leave Dawson for your days off, had to stay there. And yea, the pay was like 12 buck an hour.

I think I did it for like four days, and I said no way am I working that hard for no money. I actually went on to roughneck after that, and I found that the seismic work was a million times harder. It was very mountainous terrain around Dawson, so up and down huge hills with 80lbs of gear on your back all day. I wouldn't advise anyone to do it. It also didn't help that like 80 percent of the workers were shipped straight out of Quebec and they just spoke french to each other all day.

Go ahead and roughneck if you think your up to it. If you get a good crew it's not even that bad, and once your in shape for it the work can "sometimes" be enjoyable. The odd day when I sat back for a moment and thought about what I was doing I was like this is fucking cool, cause it really is one of the most badass jobs you can get, the money is sick, and your doing some important shit. There were also days where the stress just gets to you, and ultimately sent me out of there. It's all about the people man, I had some guys I really enjoyed working for, but there were other guys who just didn't have any patience for a green hand and treat you like shit the whole time. There's only so much shit a person can take, then it comes to the point where the dough just isn't worth it!

There are lots of other oilfield jobs that you don't have to work nearly as hard as on the rigs, and might be worth looking into if you get the chance. I'm giving wireline a try this winter, I hear the work is easy but the schedule sucks. See how it goes I guess..

Any insights on this position . . . www.skilledworkers.com/employer/job_view.php?id=38869

My Ride
    2008 Nissan Titan

If you get a chance to take the special oilfield boiler course take it. I just got back from a month out in the field working as a boilerhand, and it was fucking awesome. I just sat in a shack all night and did pushups and worked on a french course. Cleared 14g in 26 days.
    Last edited by lil*tymer; 01-05-2012 at 07:32 PM.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Cleared 14G? What education is required to do that?
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Power engineering probably.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    2022 X2M

Originally posted by FraserB
    Power engineering probably.
    4th class as well I would assume.
    E .· ` ' / ·. F
    Your tears fuel me

My Ride
    2008 Nissan Titan

Yeah, i have my 4th class power engineering. To be a boilerhand, all that is required is a special oilfield boiler ticket, I believe if you have 6 months experience on a rig, you can take the 3 day course.

My Ride
    2010 Black on Black F150

Originally posted by johnboy27

Everybody and anybody will get hired right now. They are trying to bump our shop up from the 60 guys we had last year to 300 by next spring . We are currently sitting at 180, it's fucking crazy that I don't even know most of my coworkers.LOL They hired one guy a couple weeks ag that weighed in at about 450 pounds. He could barely move. Super nice guy just not cut out for any physical work at all. He fell down one night while rigging out and it took him 10 minutes to get up. He looked like a turtle stuck on his back only he was laying on his belly.
    what company is that and are they still hiring?

My Ride
    06 Civic DX-g

Originally posted by Racoonfighter

what company is that and are they still hiring?
    Sanjel in Red deer. I believe they are oly hiring guys with a class one license now though. All of our shops are hiring .

My Ride
    2010 Black on Black F150

I guess its a little to late in the season to be applying know

My Ride
    '12 Ram1500 Sport

Halliburton is expanding in GP and red deer...go apply for frac operator position...good pay and not nearly as hard work as a roughneck, seismic. Schedule is pretty awesome too..15 on 6off.

They have career fairs soon in GP, red deer and I think Edmonton.

Originally posted by Racoonfighter
    I guess its a little to late in the season to be applying know
    Anyone know when a good time to start again would be for roughnecking? could someone with no experience get into entry level when the season starts again?

My Ride
    240SX

As I was told, a great lease hand will make a good rough neck, a great roughneck will make a good motor hand, etc...
    But I started off as a roughneck. A company will start you there if they need roughnecks.
    I'm on the only overstaffed rig in Alberta, all of the roughnecks have had to take turns doing lease hand for a week. Such a slack job for 27/hour

sounds cool... whens a good time to apply again?

My Ride
    FZ6, Ford Raptor, Audi A3 Sport Comp.

Originally posted by msommers
    Cleared 14G? What education is required to do that?
    I suspect "cleared" means gross income. If going by that context you and I would be "clearing" 26 grand for a 4-week rotation and that sure doesn't happen.

Unless they are paying boilerhands $900 per day which I know they aren't because the boilerhand working here is only making $450 and he is damn near top of the pile. I just checked with the tool push.

So what's new? Is spring breakup coming to an end? I noticed that Trinidad was looking for guys. Just wondering if things are starting to pick up again.

My Ride
    **SEQUOIA**

bump

looking for legitimate advice for a cousin of mine. He resides in Quebec, however is looking to be a roughneck in Alberta. He is willing to move etc and can basically live anywhere. He does not have a car or driver's license (Quebecker's are fucking crazy when it comes to getting your license, it is $1500/per person + classes etc)

Can you guys advise on some first steps for him? (i.e. it would be difficult for him to drive out to Nisku)

Are these companies still looking for roughnecks? Is it likely that they would hire someone out of province who is willing to pack up and move to Alberta?

Thanks

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 LastLast