Quantcast
Not another Oil rig thread: Need help ASAP tho - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Not another Oil rig thread: Need help ASAP tho

My Ride
    Unit 91 come in 91

Default Not another Oil rig thread: Need help ASAP tho

Im going for my H2S Alive ticket on Tuesday.

Im looking to start sending out my resume to where ever is hiring currently. I have NO idea where to start. Ill apply everywhere other than the toughneck or whatever its called (I heard its the worst one to do)

Please post sites where I can apply or whatever useful info you got

Thanks a bunch.

My Ride
    Sausage Wagon

Go apply to an MWD company and get on as a hand. Do you have any kind of degree? You don't NEED to be a bitch on a rig... just saying.

Originally posted by teamPRO

howbout suck my black kettle...

My Ride
    Unit 91 come in 91

whats a MWD company? No degree.

Something i want to do for the next little while to pay some things off.

My Ride
    STi

I think you mean Roughneck. But yea, good idea avoiding that if possible. They're pretty much the bitch of the rig. They do all the menial tasks that no one else wants to do. MWD would be a sweet position. All the MWDs i've worked with seem to have it pretty damn easy.

My Ride
    Lives in the left lane.

Go work rigs for a bit, learn what's it's like. If you have a degree you can maybe move in to one of the services (search MWD on this board, there are tons of threads).

Things are somewhat slow this November, you probably won't get a call until toward the end of the month.

Go to Nisku and apply in person if you can.

There are lots of threads about rigging, getting on, and what to expect.
    DOES ANYONE NEED A GO-JUICE?

My Ride
    Unit 91 come in 91

I have ZERO experience. I have no idea at all where to even look.

My Ride
    Lives in the left lane.

Read all the rig threads on this board, there are recent threads with lists of drilling companies.

All the recruiting offices are in Nisku, drive up there and talk to the recruiters in person.

Go home and wait for a phone call.

My Ride
    Sausage Wagon

Yeah, usually if you're working your way up from "roughneck" the education system has failed you, or you've failed the education system. Some people make well, but avoid the culture of financial illiteracy that is plaguing all of these ballers who can't seem to stretch $100,000 over a 365 day period.

Originally posted by teamPRO

howbout suck my black kettle...

My Ride
    Unit 91 come in 91

as much as I want the job I dont think I want to drive to Nisku just to talk to somebody then drive all the way back. There has to be some offices here in Calgary...

My Ride
    Lives in the left lane.

There are people out there that just like the work though, there's so much stigma associated with working on the rigs.

A good friend has been in it for 7 years, drilling now, started as a means to pay off his student loans - loves the job, has amazing career opportunities in front of him now, and is making 170 a year.

Used to be all farm kids, idiots that couldn't get other work, and degenerates. Now you see kids paying their way through law school in the summers, people that have left other professional careers because they like the work, all types.

My Ride
    Lives in the left lane.

Originally posted by Shlade
    as much as I want the job I dont think I want to drive to Nisku just to talk to somebody then drive all the way back. There has to be some offices here in Calgary...

Might as well save your time and money then, you'll never make it on the rigs.

I'm being 100% serious and not trying to be a dick. Save your time, and the drilling company's time.

My Ride
    Unit 91 come in 91

I realise what your saying but there has to be options here in Calgary that I can check out no? Nisku isnt exactly a short drive.

Originally posted by adamc
    Go work rigs for a bit, learn what's it's like. If you have a degree you can maybe move in to one of the services (search MWD on this board, there are tons of threads).

Things are somewhat slow this November, you probably won't get a call until toward the end of the month.

Go to Nisku and apply in person if you can.

There are lots of threads about rigging, getting on, and what to expect.
    That's what I did. Drove out to Red Deer, got the H2S, and then headed to Leduc/Nisku to apply in person. Hoping things do pick up at the end of the month. I'm anxious to get started.

Nisku isnt exactly a short drive.
    It is when you work in the oil industry

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

It doesn't seem like you're willing to put much work into this whole finding a job thing. I wouldn't hire you. Just sayin'.

Sorry I don't mean to hijack this thread but I'm kind of in the same boat. I'm in school now but hoping to get a rig job this summer. Do the service companies typically take on students for May through August?

My Ride
    FZ6, Ford Raptor, Audi A3 Sport Comp.

Man, if you can't drive 2.5 hours to Nisku then you have serious problems. 5 hours round trip is half what a lot of guys drive 3 times a month in this industry.

You sound lazy, ignorant and will more than likely not make it on the rigs even if you want to. I've seen a ton of jobs in Calgary just ripe for the taking, you'll make a fraction of what you would working on the rigs for the winter but you might be happier.

Also, if you want to work the rigs with no education and apparently no ambition you WILL be the rig bitch. Either take your lumps and prove yourself or do something else with your life.

My Ride
    FZ6, Ford Raptor, Audi A3 Sport Comp.

Originally posted by GordonGekko
    Sorry I don't mean to hijack this thread but I'm kind of in the same boat. I'm in school now but hoping to get a rig job this summer. Do the service companies typically take on students for May through August?
    There might be some work in late June-August (more likely July) but probably not enough for a service company to hire you on for a short term. I pretty much pack up the microscope and head out of the country from mid April until June 15.

I've met Shalde and I dont think it is a lazyness issue, I think it is an inexperience issue. I dont think he realizes why we are saying he has to be in Nisku. You are going to have to drive a TON more than that. I drive about 15,000km a year for work and am out of town a TON and it is a break from being in the patch. Haha

You are going to have to get in your car and get up there. Everyone in Calgary wants to be in the oilpatch and they get tons of resumes every day. You have to stand out and show you are willing to work. There is a lot of people who get the job and then bug out. I was one of them. Read this thread below for the realities that you are going to face:

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.p...=&pagenumber=2

Some people can cut it, and some even love it, but you have to be a specific type.

Also check this video of the crew on the floor. At 2:xx minutes that is the tongs, that is how a lot of guys break their arms if they arent careful or they slip. Also if you are on crew when they have to trip and it is a deep hole, you are pulling that pipe out of the ground, unscrewing it, and racking it as fast as you can go. For 12 hours. Depending on the rig you are on (I was on a triple) those things are 45' long! If you watch they are tripping in for whatever reason. Maybe just changed a drill bit or finished up some casing. Tripping in/out is a bitch. When you actually drill, the string spins and slowly goes into the hole. During that time you are scrubbing shit and cleaning, waiting until you have to add another string:

Also just to note. That looks like night shift and it looks warm out. They arent wearing any warm clothes or boots.

Your H2S Alive is a good start but you will need to take more. Dont give up and bust your butt. From the little I know about you I think you could do a good job, the physical aspect is a big part of it and I think you would like it.

Good luck bud.
    Last edited by Cos; 11-10-2011 at 08:55 AM.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

My Ride
    Ford F150

I realise what your saying but there has to be options here in Calgary that I can check out no? Nisku isnt exactly a short drive.
    No, there isn't.

Try delivering pizza.

I drive between 3000 and 6000 km a month. Nisku is just a hop skip and a jump away.
    I can eat more hot wings than you.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast