Quantcast
Thailand Flooding Update - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Thailand Flooding Update

Default Thailand Flooding Update

Last edited by kaput; 03-12-2019 at 08:21 PM.

My Ride
    Acura TL, 2016 Yamaha FZ-07

Here's a recent video in english.

My Ride
    impreza

I was around Bangkok airport for a day earlier this week (Nov 7-8). Business as usual. Didn't notice anything out of the ordinary.

I also just spent the last 2 weeks on Koh Tao, and a few days on Koh Samui. Everything was fine, except I saw a sign at KFC that said they may not have all menu items. So if you want to eat at KFC it may be a crisis for you.

If you are going to southern Thailand I wouldn't cancel anything.

My Ride
    impreza

I am actually in Sihanoukville in Cambodia right now. I've been to Phnom Penh and heading to Siem Reap. There is no flooding in Cambodia but there was some in Sept I believe.

I was in Thailand two weeks ago and it was pretty nice weather minus areas around Ayuttaya and North of Bangkok generally, however I heard that with the incoming tides they are preparing for widespread flooding. When I was there, all the shops and stores had build a small concrete barrier backed up by sand bags in front of their doors so you had to literally step over a wall to go into any shop.

That being said, I didn't have any problems, and I went to the islands on both sides of Thailand and to Chiang Mai Area as well. It is the tail end of the rainy season over there anyways, so I say risk it! If it's raining one place you can just go to another. I would recommend you go as soon as possible though before the high season there.
    Originally posted by rage2
    #1: don't ever question me.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

I get travel alerts through my employer for destinations I have tickets to:

14 Nov 2011

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thailand: Floodwaters continue to recede in several areas though disruption persists

The capital Bangkok: affected and high-risk areas

Affected areas

The following districts continue to experience flooding between eight inches (20cm) and four feet (1.2 metres) in depth: Bang Sue, Lat Phrao, and Chatuchak (central-north); Bang Khen, Sai Mai, Lak Si and Don Muang (north); Bang Bon, Bangkok Noi, Chom Thong, Bang Phlat, Taling Chan, Nong Khaem, Thawi Wattana, Bang Khae, Bangkok Yai and Phasi Charoen (west); and Bang Chen, Bueng Kum, Khanna Yao, Min Buri, Bang Kapi, Lat Krabang, Nong Chok and Khlong Sam Wa (east).

While the level of floodwater is receding in several districts, including Bang Sue, Lat Phrao, Nong Chok, Lat Krabang, Khanna Yao, Taling Chan, Thawi Watthana and Bang Phlat, it remains critical in the outer west and east of Bangkok. The governor of the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration, Sukhumbhand Paribatra, on 13 November ordered evacuations from parts of Bang Khun Thian and Thon Buri districts, to the west of the Chao Phraya river. Evacuation orders were previously issued to the worst-affected areas in the districts of Bang Bon, Bangkok Noi, Chom Thong, Chatuchak, Bang Khen, Sai Mai, Lak Si, Don Muang, Nong Chok, Min Buri, Bueng Kum, Bang Phlat, Taling Chan, Nong Khaem, Thawi Wattana, Bang Khae, Bangkok Yai and Phasi Charoen.

The authorities have stated that the Khlong Rangsit canal should stop overflowing its banks within ten days, which is expected to improve the situation in areas above the 11-mile (18km) long ‘big bag' flood barrier to the north of the capital; floodwater in areas north of the barrier is currently around 27 inches (70cm) higher than areas below it.

High risk areas

There is a risk of further flooding in areas outside flood barriers, to the north, east and west of Bangkok. In particular, the authorities have warned residents in parts of the eastern districts of Prawet and Saphan Sung to closely watch the situation and be prepared for evacuation. Despite earlier fears, floodwater runoff is not expected to reach the Victory Monument area (Phaya Thai district) of central Bangkok, and levees have so far prevented flooding in the Bang Chan and Lat Krabang industrial estates in the city's outer east.

Bangkok: infrastructure

Roads

Water has receded on several main routes in the Bangkok Metropolitan Area, including Ratchadapisek, Vibhavadi Rangsit (Route 31) and Phahonyothin (Route 1) roads, though still remains around 12-16 inches (30-40cm) deep in some places. Route 345, which connects Bangkok to Pathum Thani province, is impassable. Although it was open as on 14 November, Rama II Road (Route 35), which is a major thoroughfare between the city and southern Thailand, is expected to become flooded in the near term; the authorities have drained floodwater from Route 340, Route 346 and the Western Outer Ring Road to serve as an alternative route to the south. Routes from central Bangkok to the city's Suvarnabhumi Airport (BKK) remain unaffected.

Transport

Don Muang Airport (DMK) remains closed until further notice; the government is working to drain water from the runway. Airports of Thailand chairman, ACM Sumet Phomanee, on 12 November stated that it would take around 60 days to completely repair the airport. All flights to and from Suvarnabhumi airport are operating on schedule; the facility, which is located 19 miles (30km) east of central Bangkok, is protected by a 14-mile (23km) long, 11-feet (3.5 metre) high dyke and is not expected to be affected by any flooding.

Metro services are operating as normal, though some entrances have been closed as a precautionary measure. BTS Skytrain services are not expected to be affected as the system is elevated. Express boat services on the Chao Phraya river will remain suspended until 21 November.

Electricity and water supply

The authorities will cut off electricity in an area if flooding reaches more than 3.2 feet (1 metre). Stores are restocking their supplies of bottled water intermittently; foreign brands are more readily available than local brands.

Elsewhere

Affected areas

Twenty-three provinces in the north, north-east and centre remain flooded in places, though floodwaters have begun to subside in Ayutthaya, Nakhon Sawan, Chai Nat, Sing Buri, Lop Buri and Pathum Thani provinces. Some major cities in the north – such as Chiang Mai (Chiang Mai province) and Chiang Rai (Chiang Rai province) – and the centre, including Pattaya (Chon Buri province) and Hua Hin (Prachuap Khiri Khan province), have not been affected, nor have any southern provinces.

Infrastructure

At least 50 major highways and more than 190 rural roads in central and northern Thailand remain impassable in some places due to floodwaters. Route 32 (also known as the Asian Highway) remains affected by damage in some sections, necessitating detours, though the road is open.

North-bound rail services are operating between Hua Lamphong station in Bangkok and Chiang Mai, though trains are being rerouted to avoid flood-affected areas. South-bound trains from the capital are experiencing some disruption due to flooding in western Bangkok. Trains to the north-east are operating as normal.

Comment and Analysis

The flood situation in greater Bangkok will continue to improve in the coming days because of the reduced runoff into the city due to the construction of the ‘big bag' barrier; the provision of additional pumps to assist with drainage; and the end of seasonal high tides on 15 November. These factors are expected to enable water to be drained from main roads of the capital within ten days and from low-lying areas in the worst-affected districts in one month. Although the level of floodwaters has dropped in some locations, travel will remain severely restricted in flood-affected districts in the short term. Districts of Bangkok outside the flood barriers, particularly in the east and west, are at risk of further flooding over the coming days due to continuing high levels in waterways and spillover from surrounding districts. In the northern and central provinces, floodwaters in the worst-affected areas may take more than another two months to recede and repair work much longer. Road and rail travel from Bangkok to the north will remain subject to detours until conditions improve, necessitating additional travel time of around two hours. The authorities may cut electricity in flood-affected areas for safety reasons.

Travel Advice

Defer non-essential travel to or through flood-affected parts of Thailand. Personnel on essential business should seek location-specific advice before setting out and prepare for significant disruption in inundated areas.
    Personnel should consider their need to remain in areas likely to be affected by flooding in the coming days; ensure that you are prepared and know what to do in the event of flooding.
    Companies should ensure crisis management and business continuity plans are in place. These should clearly define decision-making responsibility and cater for the possibility of floods affecting multiple members of staff and physical assets.
    In case of flooding, turn off the main sources of electricity and/or gas in your dwellings. Arrange or stack furniture, valuables, appliances, chemicals, toxic substances, and rubbish beyond the reach of floodwaters.
    Comply with any instructions from the government and local authorities.
    Avoid floodwaters, which may be contaminated. Use treated or boiled tap water or bottled water for drinking. Choose food that is thoroughly cooked and served while steaming hot.
    Avoid floodwater if you have any wounds or illness; although intact skin, which comes into contact with floodwater, does not, by itself, pose a serious health risk, wounds can become infected. If you have any open cuts or sores, keep them clean and covered. If a wound develops redness, swelling, or drainage, seek immediate medical attention.
    Rain and flooding may lead to an increase in numbers of mosquitoes, which can carry diseases such as dengue fever and malaria.
    Flooding has limited movement along certain routes. For updated details contact 1193, 1197 or 1586.
    Road conditions are variable and driving standards are poor even when weather conditions are favourable; do not self-drive unless very familiar with local conditions. Taxis are a suitable means of transport for business travellers.
    Motorists should consult the local authorities regarding the feasibility of journeys and ensure that their vehicle is in good condition and appropriately equipped for the weather conditions.
    Personnel planning to travel by train to locations north of Bangkok should consult the State Railway of Thailand's website or contact its call centre on (+66) 1690 to confirm schedules.
    Personnel booked to travel to or from Don Muang airport in the coming days should contact the relevant airline to reconfirm flight schedules and check the airport's website for updates.
    Personnel travelling to and from airports in flood-affected provinces are advised to contact the relevant airline to reconfirm flight schedules before setting out.
    Personnel are advised to monitor the Thai Meteorological Department's website and the local media to remain apprised of up-to-date weather information.

My Ride
    E.L

was in vietnam a week ago. No flooding.

My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster

Deceptive thread title.
    Originally posted by Go4Long
    or else what? you'll turn on the caps lock?
    you do realize this is the internet right? lol
    Originally posted by rob the knob
    mar, you are good guy at heart
    you must realize your limitations
    then you will be happy if you fine place in live
    Originally posted by blitz
    Jesus man, I know you like Transformers, but you need to get out more. No one should get this upset over a movie based on children's toys.