Quantcast
Cenovus camps? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cenovus camps?

My Ride
    Sentra spec5-T

Default Cenovus camps?

Anyone out working in the Cenovus camps at either Christina Lake or Foster Creek? I'm heading up there in the next two weeks for the first time and just wondering what to expect and/or items I should be bringing with me?

Thanks.

My Ride
    Has wheels

I'm not at either camp but have been living camp life for the last 7ish years. As far as what you should bring, proper work clothes and boots (any clothes outside of coveralls generally have to FR). Bring your own pillow if you're that type that won't be able to sleep otherwise. Bring all your own shower gear, shampoo, soap, facecloth and towel. Shower sandals are a must IMO. Laptop if you like, anything else for entertainment you wish.

If you're a new hire I would ask if they supply all outer work gear (coveralls, coat, bibs, gloves, hardhat and hardhat liner, neck warmer, safety glasses etc.)

Are you on a set rotation or going up for an extended period of time?
    I think I have the basics covered, any other info you want just ask.

My Ride
    Sentra spec5-T

Originally posted by bruceod
    I'm not at either camp but have been living camp life for the last 7ish years. As far as what you should bring, proper work clothes and boots (any clothes outside of coveralls generally have to FR). Bring your own pillow if you're that type that won't be able to sleep otherwise. Bring all your own shower gear, shampoo, soap, facecloth and towel. Shower sandals are a must IMO. Laptop if you like, anything else for entertainment you wish.

If you're a new hire I would ask if they supply all outer work gear (coveralls, coat, bibs, gloves, hardhat and hardhat liner, neck warmer, safety glasses etc.)

Are you on a set rotation or going up for an extended period of time?
    I think I have the basics covered, any other info you want just ask.
    Shower sandals, good call! I'll have my laptop for sure since I need it to do my job, I have coveralls and boots but I think I need to upgrade my boots to those dunlop ones that everyone seems to have. I'm a new hire to Cenovus, on a consulting basis, but I have been working in the field for about 7 months, this will be my first camp job.

I'm on a sort of set rotation, I do geology on the steam injection wells so I'm pretty much out there until the well is done, then I get to go back to Calgary then back out again when they need me.

Thanks.

My Ride
    Has wheels

No worries, like I said I'm pretty sure I covered the necessities anyways. As far as those Dunlop boots go, get the Baffin brand instead. They are both the same with cold ratings, materials and that sort of thing(I believe) but the Baffin brand grip sooooo much better in winter conditions. I've owned both and know many guys that have as well, everyone says the same thing. Baffin's have better grip. Both will keep you equally as warm and cost the same($200ish).

Have fun in camp.

No worries, like I said I'm pretty sure I covered the necessities anyways. As far as those Dunlop boots go, get the Baffin brand instead. They are both the same with cold ratings, materials and that sort of thing(I believe) but the Baffin brand grip sooooo much better in winter conditions. I've owned both and know many guys that have as well, everyone says the same thing. Baffin's have better grip. Both will keep you equally as warm and cost the same($200ish).

Have fun in camp.
    Thats odd I have had both as well and much prefer the dunlops! To each their own I guess!

My Ride
    111R, FL5, DC2R, E61,W201, E36, GSW

Originally posted by lasimmon

Thats odd I have had both as well and much prefer the dunlops! To each their own I guess!
    id have to agree with you there... Dunlops were by far my favorite.

My Ride
    G35>Range Rover>

some sites no longer allow dunlops below -5 due to slipping reasons, Nabors for sure has this rule,

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Any chance you could get a copy of the Nabors footwear policy to prove that?
    I'm really surprised they'd outlaw that boot, it has pretty soft rubber soles, which are decent on ice. Certainly a lot better than some other boots.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    06 F-150

Any updates on the Cenovus camps? I'm going up to the Christina Lake site on Monday, wondering what to expect.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

The Dunflop (feel like flip flops to me) puroforts are amazing in the bush, with the giant lug soles - however, not on clear ice it isnt, esp a frozen deck.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

There has been an update to the dunlops, they are now available with a vibram sole that appears like it would be more usable on ice. I have seen them at Marks, although not worn them.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    BB6

Christina Lake is the creme de la creme of the Cenovus camps

I've been to Christina Lake a fair bit. Pretty decent camp. Great food, Clean rooms.

Id suggest bringing the following:
    - Slippers (to wear around the camp, no footwear is allowed inside)
    - Laptop/ tablet (Netflix), all rooms have cable with a decent selection
    - All toiletries/ carrying case (Shared bathrooms between 2 rooms)
    - Earplugs if you're a light sleeper, they have pretty thin walls
    - Gym clothes, the gym is pretty wicked
    - Pool cue, if you play, the cues up there have no tips
    - Of course bring winter gear, starting to get pretty cold up there.

Also as for the dunlop debate, they are by far the best boots I have ever used in the field, HOWEVER below -20 they turn into hockey pucks and suck on ice. I used a slip on ice cleat which helped a fair bit, but they are not always allowed, so ask before you wear them.

Good luck, have fun.

My Ride
    06 F-150

Originally posted by vengie
    I've been to Christina Lake a fair bit. Pretty decent camp. Great food, Clean rooms.

Id suggest bringing the following:
    - Slippers (to wear around the camp, no footwear is allowed inside)
    - Laptop/ tablet (Netflix), all rooms have cable with a decent selection
    - All toiletries/ carrying case (Shared bathrooms between 2 rooms)
    - Earplugs if you're a light sleeper, they have pretty thin walls
    - Gym clothes, the gym is pretty wicked
    - Pool cue, if you play, the cues up there have no tips
    - Of course bring winter gear, starting to get pretty cold up there.

Also as for the dunlop debate, they are by far the best boots I have ever used in the field, HOWEVER below -20 they turn into hockey pucks and suck on ice. I used a slip on ice cleat which helped a fair bit, but they are not always allowed, so ask before you wear them.

Good luck, have fun.
    Sweet thanks man. My company doesn't have much info on the site. Does everything have to be Fr? No hoodies? Is it a dry camp? Also is there wireless throughout? Was thinking about getting a tablet for the trip but heard some camps only have hard wired Internet.

Originally posted by chathamf

Sweet thanks man. My company doesn't have much info on the site. Does everything have to be Fr? No hoodies? Is it a dry camp? Also is there wireless throughout? Was thinking about getting a tablet for the trip but heard some camps only have hard wired Internet.
    Everything "should be" FR, however alot of my layer up clothes were not, my coveralls were really the only FR item I wore, that being said, choose natural fibres as your layer up items (Cotton, Wool etc..) as they will not melt into your skin if a flash fire were to ever occur. Hoodies are not allowed on location industry wide as they are deemed a "Loose article of clothing" and can be caught in any rotating equipment. Wireless internet IS available throughout, however during peak times it is pretty slow.

My Ride
    Has wheels

This is where the Baffin's I mentioned earlier perform better. They have a different grip pattern. While they're not as good as having yaktraks or the like, they are much better on ice/slippery surfaces regardless of temperature in comparison to the Dunlops.

This is where the Baffin's I mentioned earlier perform better. They have a different grip pattern. While they're not as good as having yaktraks or the like, they are much better on ice/slippery surfaces regardless of temperature in comparison to the Dunlops.
    The only problem with the Baffin's are how heavy/ bulky they are. Not to mention I can wear my dunlop's year round rather than having 2 sets of boots. Its all up to personal preference really.

My Ride
    Has wheels

The only problem with the Baffin's are how heavy/ bulky they are. Not to mention I can wear my dunlop's year round rather than having 2 sets of boots. Its all up to personal preference really.
    Definitely personal preference but there wouldn't be a need for another boot if you wanted to wear them year round.

^^ they definitely do look like they would have better ice traction than the old dunlops.
    however I think the new dunlops with the Vibram sole would be superior overall.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Aren't those too hot to wear all year? I haven't even bothered using my winter boots yet since they are too warm for this weather.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast