Quantcast
Anyone Used a Professional Resume Writing Service? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Used a Professional Resume Writing Service?

My Ride
    2012 Audi Q5

Default Anyone Used a Professional Resume Writing Service?

Has anyone used any of the local companies, and if so how was your experience? I am looking at getting one done.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-08-2019 at 11:36 AM.

Originally posted by Sugarphreak
    Have you looked at templates online at all as an option?
    This is where I'd start as well.

With all of the information and details you'd have provide to a professional anyway you're essentially paying them for formatting.

I'd say there is value in having a professional review your resume after you've drafted it though. If you've attended any post secondary institution they'll normally have a career centre that will give you comments at no charge.

My Ride
    2012 Audi Q5

Originally posted by Sugarphreak
    Have you looked at templates online at all as an option?
    I have, but honestly I am willing to spend the few hundred bucks to have something created for me. I am at the point in my career where this would serve me well. I can only imagine my competition will be doing the same.

My Ride
    GTI

I spent a couple hundred on mine, wasn't at all necessary and he basically kept it the same as what I had, huge waste of money.

Originally posted by kgeig254
    I am at the point in my career where this would serve me well. I can only imagine my competition will be doing the same.
    what point in your career is this?
    heloc that shit

My Ride
    2012 Audi Q5

Originally posted by lint

what point in your career is this?
    Mid-level professional. I am looking to move up the ladder with my next opportunity. I am happy where I am but looking to open some doors.

My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster

I can not stress how beneficial this will be for you, I did it in 2006 and the $300 spent on the resume got me an additional $10,000 annually in my next job. Then my next job doubled my salary and I've found that I've pretty much gotten every job I've interviewed for since then, all thanks to a more professional resume which sticks out from the rest. Anytime I've reformatted my freinds' resumes it has helped them as well.

The only thing a resume does is get you an interview, form that point on you're on your own, no resume in the world will help you. And the more professional the resume, it will be much, much easier to get that interview. I say do it.
    Originally posted by Go4Long
    or else what? you'll turn on the caps lock?
    you do realize this is the internet right? lol
    Originally posted by rob the knob
    mar, you are good guy at heart
    you must realize your limitations
    then you will be happy if you fine place in live
    Originally posted by blitz
    Jesus man, I know you like Transformers, but you need to get out more. No one should get this upset over a movie based on children's toys.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Talk to a friend who already had one done professionally and steal his template

My Ride
    2012 Audi Q5

Originally posted by Mar
    I can not stress how beneficial this will be for you, I did it in 2006 and the $300 spent on the resume got me an additional $10,000 annually in my next job. Then my next job doubled my salary and I've found that I've pretty much gotten every job I've interviewed for since then, all thanks to a more professional resume which sticks out from the rest. Anytime I've reformatted my freinds' resumes it has helped them as well.

The only thing a resume does is get you an interview, form that point on you're on your own, no resume in the world will help you. And the more professional the resume, it will be much, much easier to get that interview. I say do it.
    To that point, I have always been successful once I get to the interview stage. Would you mind giving me the contact where you got yours done?

My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster

Originally posted by kgeig254

To that point, I have always been successful once I get to the interview stage. Would you mind giving me the contact where you got yours done?
    I just used Monster, they were awesome. I had them do my resume and also spent another $120 or so to get them to do a cover letter. Well worth it.
    Jesus man, I know you like Transformers, but you need to get out more. No one should get this upset over a movie based on children's toys.

My Ride
    Chevy Colorado ZR2

With the amount of information on the internet these days, you'd have to be an idiot not to know how to write a decent Resume and Cover Letter.

...Or just plain lazy

My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster

Originally posted by jaylo

With the amount of information on the internet these days, you'd have to be an idiot not to know how to write a decent Resume and Cover Letter.

...Or just plain lazy
    Let's see yours.

Originally posted by Mar
    Let's see yours.
    post yours first
    heloc that shit

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-08-2019 at 11:36 AM.

My Ride
    06 WRX

Originally posted by Mar
    lol, a bit confusing because you say your $300 resume got you $10k, but then later say all it does is get you in the door. If you're in a very competitive field, you have a poor resume, and you're not very good with the internet, then for sure it might help. But if you're reasonably competent in word and have put a reasonable amount of work and effort into your resume, you should get into the building so long as you're remotely qualified for the job, and as you noted, that's all the resume will do anyways.

I beefed up my resume for free last year with the help of a good proofreader, the internet, and some comments from a headhunter. In the end, I also doubled my compensation in a job I felt I was under-qualified for. Most people here really should be able to update their own resumes.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Look at resume formats online and worry more about interview skills and networking. Look over your resume for inconsistencies in spacing, periods (or none), etc. Be clear and concise. I can mot stress the formatting. HR looks for reasons to toss your resume, don't let a period be THE reason.

Ironically, almost all emails I have received from HR are poorly written and have typos!
    Last edited by msommers; 11-30-2011 at 04:45 PM.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster

Originally posted by tenth

lol, a bit confusing because you say your $300 resume got you $10k, but then later say all it does is get you in the door. If you're in a very competitive field, you have a poor resume, and you're not very good with the internet, then for sure it might help. But if you're reasonably competent in word and have put a reasonable amount of work and effort into your resume, you should get into the building so long as you're remotely qualified for the job, and as you noted, that's all the resume will do anyways.

I beefed up my resume for free last year with the help of a good proofreader, the internet, and some comments from a headhunter. In the end, I also doubled my compensation in a job I felt I was under-qualified for. Most people here really should be able to update their own resumes.
    I honestly have no clue how to use Word but the resume service does more than formatting, they write the job experience out for you in a way which gets through a lot of the filters used by larger employers.

It's not difficult to write a pretty good resume, IMO, especially with what's available online. Just use perfect grammar, spelling, consistency, etc. All stuff we learned in Jr. High or earlier.

Plus, this is Calgary, and if you work in O&G, pretty much the only thing that matters is who you know and your years of experience (not saying a resume doesn't matter).

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version
    heloc that shit

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast