Quantcast
Heavy Wind Thread - Page 11 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 10 11

Thread: Heavy Wind Thread

But its wind.. Not a tornado, or a hurricane.. etc..

I'm pretty sure there were a few little pigs that figured this out years ago.

My Ride
    4x4

Just saying, if parts of your roof blew away - you might want to see if the roofers pulled the plastic off those tar strips Just something I noticed driving through walden this morning

Originally posted by Supa Dexta
    But its wind.. Not a tornado, or a hurricane.. etc..
    wind speeds reached as high as 149kph, anything over 118kph is considered hurricane
    heloc that shit

So a hurricane blew thru the other day?

My Ride
    2015 Ram 1500

Haha.
    Originally posted by HeavyD
    you know you are making the right decision if Toma opposes it.

My Ride
    Hondas

Originally posted by boosted_Z
    Apparently some windows blew out of the Colours condo on 13ave and 1st SW. Street has been closed for a few hours. Some news folks outside.
    unit 1907 and 2007, we'll be there to change the glass soon enough

Originally posted by Supa Dexta
    Am I right to assume most of these large building would have a number of windows on hand? Its not like you can just run to home depot and find a match.
    It's called "attic stock" and no, most run out pronto.

It's a good week to be in the glass trade.

Originally posted by AndyL
    Just saying, if parts of your roof blew away - you might want to see if the roofers pulled the plastic off those tar strips Just something I noticed driving through walden this morning
    when i was helping build my family house by general with my , the biggest marihuana users were the roofers. probably more in two days than the drywallers and painters smoked in weeks.

My Ride
    98 Audi A4 2.8 Quattro

I think this must be the origin of the same wind storm that has hit all of California and is expected to continue through Thursday. It's been nuts here in San Jose all day and I hear that back home in LA there have been hurricane force winds. Jesus.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/12/01/us/cal...html?hpt=hp_t2

140 mph winds in California. Just goes to prove that the US always goes big.

That much wind this late in the year is - strange? I don't think is a normal weather pattern.

I blame global warming.

My Ride
    W204

Originally posted by ZenOps
    http://www.cnn.com/2011/12/01/us/cal...html?hpt=hp_t2

140 mph winds in California. Just goes to prove that the US always goes big.

That much wind this late in the year is - strange? I don't think is a normal weather pattern.

I blame global warming.
    Is that even a record? They article says something like "the strongest wind event in several years". Sounds like these occur from time to time.
    You have a couple of photos that are great... you must be very good at photoshop!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Tr..._wikicolor.png

Hurricanes are possible on that side, but to have wind of that strength without an associated hurricane is unusual.

Hurricane Katrina was actually pretty small compared to some that have hit Japan and China. Its just that China doesn't complain about them on the media.

My Ride
    Is 24 years older than I am

Originally posted by Jericho99
    Anyone know if roofing/shingles carry any sort of warranty from the contractor that installs it after the 1 year home warranty from the builder?

I'm late on the response but yes indeed there are wind warranties on roofing products. Unfortunately, a number manufacturers warranties are written to get them out of any actual responsibility at all. If you want to know which products actually have real warranties, wind included, just start looking up. You see the houses with no blow offs? Those are the shingles with real warranties.

The reality is that most new housing uses inferior roofing products and then end up with inferior performance.

If you're looking to reroof as a result of the wind, do yourself a favor, and do your research because not all shingles are created equal.
    I'm a baller on a budget, I'll do a project and come back and tear the outlet mall up.

My Ride

Originally posted by eblend
    Ton of houses around evergreen are missing shinles, right to the wood is visible. Some of the houses next to me have aluminium peices coming off the roof edge. All of the houses around here with interlocking shingles are fine (including mine), but many of the houses with standard shingles are missing alot.

Does anyone know if they make interlocking shingles anymore? I refurse to put anything but from here on, including when it comes time to redo mine. When I build the garage last year I bought standard shingles because I was told they don't make interlocking ones anymore, anyone know?

Interlocking is definatelly the way to go as far as I am concerned.

Interlocks have been discontinued for a few years. There is one contractor that bought up all stock upon announcement and may still have some stock. Rush roofing.
    I'm a baller on a budget, I'll do a project and come back and tear the outlet mall up.

I see steel roofing is making a big comeback in some spots around the country too.. Now that they have a lot of colours, and an increased life span.

I always wondered why they couldnt use something like bedliner to coat a roof.. One piece construction, tough as hell... No leaks, no nails, its not blowing away.. etc

My Ride

3 tab shingles on average are warranted to 60mph

Laminates ( architectural shingles) are anywhere from 70mph to 130mph.

There were 2 brands of shingles that had almost all of the blow off issues. Neither one of them are considered good quality in general.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 10 11