Quantcast
taking pre wedding pics need some input. - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: taking pre wedding pics need some input.

My Ride
    Depends on the day

Default taking pre wedding pics need some input.

So my sister is getting married and she wants me to take the pre wedding shots like getting ready etc. So I have a panny gf1 with a 20/1.7,14/2.5,45/1.8. I can bring a d90, but a 18-200 isn't a good lens for the job. Will any where rent me stuff going out of country, I just don't want to buy dslr lens/lenses and a flash. Or do you think I'll be good

My Ride
    2015 Ram 1500

Just don't tell them you're going out of the country...lol

Vistek's 200-400 has been to Fort Worth Texas...but that's all I know about that.

PS...85mm 1.4 AF-D ftw.
    Originally posted by HeavyD
    you know you are making the right decision if Toma opposes it.

My Ride
    Depends on the day

with a d90? Wont that be a little long

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Rent a wide angle, flash and a 70-200 2.8 and should be fine.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    2015 Ram 1500

Originally posted by kvg
    with a d90? Wont that be a little long
    50mm 1.4 then
    Originally posted by HeavyD
    you know you are making the right decision if Toma opposes it.

No. 35mm 1.4. 85mm 1.4. You don't need anything else.

I honestly use either the 35mm or the 85mm and a combination of both for prep shots. Never found a need for something insanely wide or anything above 85mm for that matter.

My Ride
    Depends on the day

Do you think the GF with the 20(40mm) and 45(90mm) won't cut it?

Would depend on how clean the higher ISO is on the camera. That's the only thing I would say.

I'm normally shooting at 1600 at around F2 or so for most prep shots. I prefer to avoid using flash for shots like that and tend to stick to pure natural light.

You could probably be ok as it's not like they are likely expecting uber shots. Just some good memories.

My Ride
    Depends on the day

iso 1600 isn't gonna happen. If I get a fl-36r and bounce the flash as I don't want to shoot over 800 and obvious would prefer lower iso do you thing I would be good?

For me I tend to avoid flash during the prep as much as possible. It's just uber hard to rely on bounce of any kind I find.

As I said this all depends whether your sister is just expecting some good memories or if she's expecting something a paid pro would give her.

Just sit back and try to keep your ears closed. The girls tend to have interesting conversations that are a bit of an eye opener.

My Ride
    W204

You don't need to rely on equipment to get great shots. Your Panasonic 20 f/1.7 and 14 will do just great (though honestly for preps I think the 20 will more than get the job done!). Pump it up to ISO 800 or higher if you need. Bring along a flash and toss it on - you can easily turn it on or off, but the good thing is, the option is there if you need it.

I mount my Nikon flashes to my GF1 all the time and use manual mode (it'll be easy too - set it to 50mm and adjust intensity yourself). Be creative with bounce: off ceilings, walls, etc... I am sure your sister will be happy with your results.
    You have a couple of photos that are great... you must be very good at photoshop!

My Ride
    Depends on the day

Thanks Clem, anybody have a Wireless Flash Trigger I could borrow for a couple weeks?

My Ride
    T MR2

I would take a look at previous wedding albums and see certain poses or areas that look beautiful and maybe get some ideas.

Also I'd bring various colors of roses or flowers they will break the ice and be like ohh wow?? these are beautiful and improve the overall mood

My Ride
    Depends on the day

Great idea

My Ride
    W204

Wireless triggers? LOL if this is going to be indoors, a flash gun mounted to your cam is more than likely enough.

Keep It Simple Stupid

Especially if you're new to this. And even then, pros won't use remote off camera flashes to do a prep shoot - only usually posed formals will you see off camera flashes. Good for static scenes.

Keep your objective in mind. Sometimes you'll get so hung up on the technical side of things that you forget what you're really doing - getting pictures of her getting ready. She's got enough stressors to deal with and enough people swarming around her. My advice: work with what you have, and concentrate on capturing the moment as it happens and tell the story. A prep shoot is more about getting all the stuff that's happening behind the scenes as it happens; you're not trying to pose her.

My opinion though. I am not a professional nor will I ever be. Maybe you or your sister have different objectives in mind.
    You have a couple of photos that are great... you must be very good at photoshop!

DONT take a look at poses. Just shoot. Don't try to pose anything. Just shoot things as it happens. Avoiding poses these days is more important than ever.

I use wireless triggers non stop for reception lighting. I only use cybersyncs though and I refuse to use anything these days made by pocketwizard.

The Paul C Bluff stuff is relatively cheap and works like magic. The trigger is only around $30 and the receivers are the same I think.

I try to avoid using flash at all for prep shots just to keep it natural. You don't want to be a focal point, just want to take shots of the girls being girls.

My Ride
    Depends on the day

I'm not gonna do any poses just, good shots of them enjoying themselves. One of my friends shoots weddings professionally and I bugged her for advice too

My Ride
    W204

Originally posted by pea_soup
    I try to avoid using flash at all for prep shots just to keep it natural.
    You're assuming that wherever you are shooting, there is enough natural light to get your shots. By refusing to use a flash, you've also just reduced your creative options by however many fold. Remember, just because you have a speedlight on your camera, doesn't mean you have to use it. Me personally, I would never go to to any shoot, indoor or out, without a speedlight.

No no, it's there and you nearly never need to use it. Trust me when I say this, nearly never. You'd need to be shooting in a very very dark room with no light at all. I have no problems using ISO 6400 on my 1D Mark IV. It's rather clean. Combine ISO 6400, 1/60 shutter speed and F2.0 or faster and you'll start to see that rather dark rooms are actually fairly bright. I still do use speedlites when I really must but when they aren't needed and light is sufficient they shouldn't be used. It's seriously about just staying back, taking shots, and watching the day unfold.

I do typically use speedlights when possible at ceremonies. I prefer to set 4 up on 4 different stands and have all 4 bounce using a remote trigger. I find it lights up just about any potential church rather well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast