Quantcast
New car time... - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New car time...

My Ride
    Vettel's #1

+1 on the RDX. You can find one with low Kms for under 30,000 and it's better than anything mentioned in this thread so far.
    Vettel's #1

My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 20 Hyundai Palisade

Originally posted by HiSpec

the 2012 Forester have a 4-speed auto right? How is it?
    We bought a new 2009 when the new (current) model came out as my wife needed something bigger for our baby. We still have it today, have 2 kids. There is lots of room and in almost 3 yrs I've only ever changed oil on it. The 4spd auto is ok. It could definatelly use another gear especially if you're climbing hills. Around town in traffic it's fine. We have snow tires on it and honestly it's like driving on dry roads as the AWD with auto is different than AWD with manual in subarus.

Def. not the prettiest and interior is made of hard plastic. The cloth seats are made of tough fabric. But that's what we wanted knowing what it would be used for.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Originally posted by CapnCrunch
    +1 on the RDX. You can find one with low Kms for under 30,000 and it's better than anything mentioned in this thread so far.
    Except that they have virtually no interior room. IMO it's a completely useless vehicle for the money.

OP should look at an Outlander. Real lockable 4WD and a smooth shifting 6-Speed Auto with paddle shifters to at least give you the feeling you are doing something. My only complaint is that the awesome warranty is useless as my wife's 2007 XLS has never given us reason to make an unscheduled visit to the dealer and the V6 has never consumed a drop of oil. She doesn't care about cars but actually just commented recently on how this vehicle just gets her around with no complaints or issues and is the best car she's owned since her 2001 Accord.
    Last edited by heavyD; 12-05-2011 at 12:00 PM.

My Ride
    2009 Forester

I looked at the outlander, but it's too big for us.

I looked at the RVR on the web site and it looks like it may be a contender, but it doesn't seem like there are a lot of available options.
    Tim

My Ride
    Fiesta ST

My wife loves her 2011 Forester. We drove the RVR, Forester, Golf Wagon and Tiguan. The main competition was the Tiguan, but the cargo space is a lot smaller than the Forester.

RVR with the CVT felt like a pig. We actually thought it would be the one to beat going into the process.

My Ride
    NC1

the 2012 Forester have a 4-speed auto right? How is it?
    Slow and boring.

My mom has been driving one for 9 years, 360k later still going strong. It won't die.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    AWD grandpa wagon

Originally posted by max_boost

Slow and boring.

My mom has been driving one for 9 years, 360k later still going strong. It won't die.
    Hard to believe that Subaru have been using the same 4-spd auto for this many years!!

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

Slow and boring.

HOLY CRAP. Your mom has been driving a 2012 car for 9 YEARS???

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

My Ride
    Vettel's #1

Originally posted by heavyD

Except that they have virtually no interior room. IMO it's a completely useless vehicle for the money.

OP should look at an Outlander. Real lockable 4WD and a smooth shifting 6-Speed Auto with paddle shifters to at least give you the feeling you are doing something. My only complaint is that the awesome warranty is useless as my wife's 2007 XLS has never given us reason to make an unscheduled visit to the dealer and the V6 has never consumed a drop of oil. She doesn't care about cars but actually just commented recently on how this vehicle just gets her around with no complaints or issues and is the best car she's owned since her 2001 Accord.
    So 10 ft of cargo space makes a RDX useless?

A lockable 4wd is "useless" in this city.

RDX's have paddle shifters as well.

Acuras resale is much better than Mitsubishi

Acuras reliability is much better than Mitsubishi

Nothing like a biased opinion mixed in with a splash of bullshit. This site makes me laugh some days.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Speaking of bullshit since you brought on the comparison (it certainly wasn't me) lets take a look;

So 10 ft of cargo space makes a RDX useless?
    Outlander has 36.2 cubic feet of cargo space and since the 'U' in SUV or CUV stands for utility it is useless.

A lockable 4wd is "useless" in this city.
    Debateable isn't it as the RDX is really a FWD vehicle in most driving situations and only transfers torque to the rear when slippage occurs. Problem is that sometimes that may be too late. It's why Subaru's handle well in the snow because they always have a 50/50 split. Not the case with the FWD based RDX.

RDX's have paddle shifters as well.
    Where did I say other vehicles didn't?

Acuras resale is much better than Mitsubishi
    Where did discuss resale value?

Acuras reliability is much better than Mitsubishi
    Where did I compare reliability? Although I have seen enough of our Outlander to confirm that no Acura could be more reliable than ours considering we've never had an issue with ours.

So explain to me where the bullshit came from? I suggest you stick to cereal Captain as you sound like Honda fanboy with his panties in a bunch.
    Last edited by heavyD; 12-05-2011 at 03:33 PM.

My Ride
    NC1

Hard to believe that Subaru have been using the same 4-spd auto for this many years!!
    haha Yea go for a test drive.

And then test drive the turbo 2.5XT, it's automatic too. Your wife never said anything about a fast turbo.

Give Terry at Subaru Calgary a call. Great guy to deal with.
    I am user #49

My Ride
    Perpetual Test Drive

Originally posted by Sugarphreak
    Go to Honda West, the first office on your right hand side will belong to Keith... knock on the door and say hello. I highly recommend you chat with him, he is an awesome salesperson to deal with, you will not be disappointed.
    Keith @ Honda West was a great guy to deal with, but I went in there a few weeks ago with my cousin after he bounced his Civic off a curb and was told by another salesman that had taken up residency in his office that Keith is on vacation right now. Apparently he took like a two month trip to australia or something like that. He wasnt sure if Keith was going to return to Honda West or not.
    War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

My Ride
    2009 Forester

And then test drive the turbo 2.5XT, it's automatic too. Your wife never said anything about a fast turbo.

Give Terry at Subaru Calgary a call. Great guy to deal with.
    I'd love an XT in the previous body style. I'm just paranoid... turbo + awd = recipe for disaster :p

plus I'm hoping for something that has decent fuel economy.
    Tim

My Ride
    NC1

^^^

I might as well just work for Subaru lol

Check out the new Impreza then. I think it's around $23k OTD. Hatch has utility, auto, 5.5L/100kms highway!

Driving a slower car is not a bad thing, definitely reduces your chances of getting a speed ticket. Damn those fast cars, I don't have the discipline to drive slow because they are just so damn comfy at higher speeds.
    I am user #49

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Debateable isn't it as the RDX is really a FWD vehicle in most driving situations and only transfers torque to the rear when slippage occurs. Problem is that sometimes that may be too late. It's why Subaru's handle well in the snow because they always have a 50/50 split. Not the case with the FWD based RDX.
    Is the RDX actually 4WD lockable, manually (mechanically or electronically), or does it activate the rear wheels when the front wheels slipping? I'm sure you're aware, there is quite a difference. Besides the point, my Mother's CRV has the rear activated when slipping and let me tell you, the back alley had well over a foot of snow and that thing plowed through it no problem. Plenty of cargo room as well.

The RDX interior is really nice but I can't say I'm sold on the front exterior of it. Depending on how much cargo room you need and how frequently you need it, the RDX certainly could be worth taking a closer look at.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Vettel's #1

double
    Last edited by CapnCrunch; 12-06-2011 at 11:03 AM.

My Ride
    Vettel's #1

Speaking of bullshit since you brought on the comparison (it certainly wasn't me) lets take a look;

Outlander has 36.2 cubic feet of cargo space and since the 'U' in SUV or CUV stands for utility it is useless.

Just so I'm clear, the 7 1/2 ft of extra cargo space is what renders the RDX "useless"?

You are correct. Some might say that it is advantageous having a 2wd for 90% of the time when the roads are clear and only use awd when it's actually needed, but I suppose waiting that 1/100th of a second for the rear wheels to get power might cause some to be worried. I suggest people like this stay at home during foul weather conditions. Personally, I drive a truck and I love being able to turn off my 4wd when the roads are clear. I'm a bit odd that way it seems

Where did I say other vehicles didn't? You brought it up as a selling feature right after saying the RDX was useless. My bad for not knowing you had switched from bashing RDX's to glorifying your Mitsubishi. (This Is where I thought bullshit came into play)

Where did discuss resale value? This one's probably my fault, as I was still reasoning to myself why I consider the RDX to not be useless. It's something I find very important in a vehicle.

Where did I compare reliability? Although I have seen enough of our Outlander to confirm that no Acura could be more reliable than ours considering we've never had an issue with ours.

Again, this one's my fault. This is something I place a pretty high value on. I'm glad your car has been reliable. I once had a Dodge Dakota with 379,000 kms on it, but I don't suggest people should run to their nearest Chrysler dealership.

So explain to me where the bullshit came from? I suggest you stick to cereal Captain as you sound like Honda fanboy with his panties in a bunch.
    So to sum this up, you're suggesting not to buy any cars with 7 1/2 ft less storage than an Outlander, electric awd systems are too dangerous and may be very high risk to drive in bad weather, resale is insignificant when buying a vehicle, and since your Outlander has had good reliability, there's nothing else to look at?

My Ride
    2009 Forester

stay on target....
    Tim

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-08-2019 at 12:33 PM.

Interesting talk here on AWD...how would the Juke's Torque Vectoring AWD compare in all of this then?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast