Quantcast
The Naaco Truck - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The Naaco Truck

awesome, you're gonna love Austin, it's a wonderful city! as for the food trucks, just look at this map and see what is nearby at the time. http://austinfoodcarts.com/austin-mo...-trailer-map-2

then you can read about it at http://austinfoodcarts.com

My Ride
    Nothing Good.

^^ Awesome thanks! I've been last year and loved Austin (he actually just bought another place in Roundrock, and we are going to play again on the streets during SXSW (he is a drummer and I am a guitar/bass player)
    A Ferrari is a high maintenance chick, you spend money regardless of what you do with her. You can baby the C63, or slap on all seasons, and you won't be spending anything but yearly maintenance. Of course that's like dating a stripper and refusing to fuck her, which would make you gay.

Originally posted by Rage2

I'm a sucker for curry I can't wait to try it out!

My Ride
    B6 A4 3.0Q

Originally posted by bourge73
    I hope the Vindaloo is Spppppppicy!
    It definitely packs a punch - like it should. I use a variety of chilies to achieve the complexity that this dish needs.

Originally posted by Guillermo
    ^^but then again he's not paying rent, mortgage, heat, water, property taxes, etc. etc. etc. for whatever reason, the other food trucks in YYC have failed to pass that savings on to the customer.

i don't think many of those trucks will last very long. once the novelty wears off, people are going to realize how silly it is to wait an hour and pay 50% more than you would in a food court, just because it's being sold from a truck. i was just in Austin Texas though, where they have hundreds if not thousands of trucks on literally every corner of the city, and you can get full for $4-6. LOL @ the fools selling 4 perogies for $12.
    I'm frustrated that many people (not only you) think we as food truckers don't have the same overheads as brick and mortar establishments. We pay rent for offsite kitchen space, pay a few thousand a month on gas/diesel and propane, parking and utilities for a city water line and electricity for our generators when we aren't in service - the list is extensive. The overheads are substantial and I feel my fellow food truckers have passed along savings to their clients. My food and the food from the other trucks would easily be twice the price in a sit down place.

The food I serve (can only speak for myself) is not of the same caliber as a "food court". I serve restaurant quality, farmer-driven cuisine so unfortunately if you're looking for an under ~$7 price point full meal deal (main, side and drink) then my truck is tough. The most expensive combo is $14 (you get a meat Naaco, an extra chutney, fresh ingredients, mogo chips and a 16oz truck-made iced tea - again all organic, local and/or sustainable; merchandise has integrated handles for easy transport to your office, etc. and heat sealed cups to prevent spilling - all made from recycled product, biodegradable and/or compostable). I want to create a curbside experience and promote this level of social responsibility.

As I mentioned in an above post, all my food is made in-truck including the drinks. Things of this quality and hours of labour cost money. I don't call up Sysco for 50kg of chopped carrots. I do that by hand. Again, time and effort that is integral to the finished product. My truck is rooted in this philosophy as it is an extension of who I am as a chef and as a person.

Ultimately, I hope you give my truck a try.
    Last edited by Gondi Stylez; 12-05-2011 at 09:28 PM.

My Ride
    B6 A4 3.0Q

Originally posted by HyperZell
    Really looking forward to giving this a try. Good luck with the truck!
    Thanks Jon.

wow that's expensive, but good luck to you!

My Ride
    B6 A4 3.0Q

wow that's expensive, but good luck to you!
    Thank you.

My Ride
    LX 5.0

Cant wait to try!

My Ride
    Camaro 2SS

^^but then again he's not paying rent, mortgage, heat, water, property taxes, etc. etc. etc. for whatever reason, the other food trucks in YYC have failed to pass that savings on to the customer.

i don't think many of those trucks will last very long. once the novelty wears off, people are going to realize how silly it is to wait an hour and pay 50% more than you would in a food court, just because it's being sold from a truck. i was just in Austin Texas though, where they have hundreds if not thousands of trucks on literally every corner of the city, and you can get full for $4-6. LOL @ the fools selling 4 perogies for $12.
    Exactly, I remember reading about how in LA how brick and mortar restaurants were complaining that the food trucks were undercutting them because they had such low overhead.

The difference in Calgary though may be the short season for them though.

Good luck to the OP though!

My Ride
    Horse

Can't wait to try it out myself.
    Last edited by xnvy; 08-15-2013 at 03:15 PM.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

I think I'll give this one a go sometime this week or when I'm back in town.

I can appreciate well made food, sustainable and responsible companies. In the end it may be a little more but both the buyer and seller I feel are doing business in the best way possible for a food truck. That said, companies that do this also like to mention where their food is coming from so others can investigate it as well. Also, the menu picture was coming in quite small, was this the case for anyone else?

In the end, your dollar speaks for itself and likewise the food. Then again, if you aren't happy with food trucks or food courts, pack your own lunch?

If we're comparing prices to the US, lets start bitching about liquor
    Last edited by msommers; 12-05-2011 at 10:14 PM.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Pushbroom

I have no problem paying $14 for lunch - as long as it's delicious, and most importantly FILLING. I'm a man, I eat like a man, I want to feel full when I stuff my face on my meager lunchbreak.

The concept sounds great, I'll give this truck a try.

One more question, it it the "nay-co truck" or the "nah-co truck?" I'm assuming it's the latter because of the "naan" bread?

My Ride
    Axis powers

what are mogo chips?
    Sig nuked by mod.

My Ride
    B6 A4 3.0Q

Originally posted by badatusrnames

Exactly, I remember reading about how in LA how brick and mortar restaurants were complaining that the food trucks were undercutting them because they had such low overhead.

The difference in Calgary though may be the short season for them though.

Good luck to the OP though!
    In LA and other major cities there is a centrally located area where food trucks are able to park, get deliveries and do prep - thus keeping major overheads lower as there would be 10+ trucks involved in a facility.

Calgary hasn't gone that route yet - if it is, which I hope it does - I would be more than willing to pass along the savings

Originally posted by msommers
    I think I'll give this one a go sometime this week or when I'm back in town.
    Sorry to bust the Naaco party but I don't open until spring. Just drawing interest and creating conversation.

Follow us on twitter and facebook for updates.

Originally posted by Maxx Mazda
    I have no problem paying $14 for lunch - as long as it's delicious, and most importantly FILLING. I'm a man, I eat like a man, I want to feel full when I stuff my face on my meager lunchbreak.
    Based on the tastings I've had people (men and women) were satisfied. I'm confident that my truck will be excellent value for money. If not, I know I'll be hearing about it.

One more question, it it the "nay-co truck" or the "nah-co truck?" I'm assuming it's the latter because of the "naan" bread?
    nah-co

I'll also attach a larger picture of the menu.

My Ride
    G35

Originally posted by adam c
    what are mogo chips?
    Fried Cassava

My Ride
    Horse

this is one of the first food trucks i really wanted to try.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Ya, I built some crazy ass shit with Lego as a kid. I had a thing for AMC Eagle AWD's as a kid for some bizarre reason, so I spent a lot of time going to the library and reading up on how AWD works in that car. I even hitchhiked to the library once cuz my parents were too lazy to drive me haha. Ya, I'm a nerd.

My Ride
    B6 A4 3.0Q

Originally posted by adam c
    what are mogo chips?

Originally posted by rvd

Fried Cassava
    Exactly. It commonly goes by three names, all interchangeable - mogo, yuca or cassava. I grew up calling it mogo so I've opted to keep it that way for the truck.

Mine will be potato chip like and at the side of the truck you'll have the chance to season them yourself with an array of salts.

For those of you who don't know what mogo is or what it tastes like, think of it as a sweeter version of a potato (not sweet potato sweet) - similar texture and versatility.

My Ride
    bus

Pics?

My Ride
    B6 A4 3.0Q

Originally posted by redblack
    Pics?
    Of what exactly?

My Ride
    Clapped out G-body

Originally posted by Gondi Stylez

Of what exactly?
    Pics of ur grub bub.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE

Because Merritt, ZenOps and pea_soup all share a heightened sense of paranoia that I feel is due to a specifically intentioned satellite signal being broadcast by Major League Baseball.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast