Quantcast
What GPA do you list on your resume? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: What GPA do you list on your resume?

Default What GPA do you list on your resume?

Specifically for engineering. Those of you that are 3rd/4th year, what GPA do you list? Just straight up cumulative GPA or your major GPA?

My Ride
    '19 GTI

You don't.

... But if you really want to, your cumulative.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

+1, you don't. Anywhere that cares about GPA will ask for your transcript. Anywhere else, you'll look like a douche.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

I listed my cumulative on my resume. Didnt give me any problems getting a job but I had a good one.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I do interviews from time to time now. If I see a GPA listed for someone, it immediatley makes me assume that they are "Book smart" but soically inept. I'll spend that interview grilling them on thier hobbies, realtionships and if they have any, work expereince.

This is for engineering jobs too. Maybe it's because my GPA wasn't exactly stellar, or maybe it's from the hundreds of engineers I've met. Very few of the really high GPA people I knew in school are the kind of people I'd want working for me.

your mileage may vary.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

If you don't have a whole lot of experience and your grade is one of the few things that show you are worth something, then sure.

Think of your resume as a little brochure about a product which you are trying to sell. You only need to get them interested in you (to get an interview). Show just enough, don't bore them to hell with irrelevant information. Now if you know you potential customer well, customize your brochure and sell them exactly what they need.

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    I do interviews from time to time now. If I see a GPA listed for someone, it immediatley makes me assume that they are "Book smart" but soically inept. I'll spend that interview grilling them on thier hobbies, realtionships and if they have any, work expereince.

This is for engineering jobs too. Maybe it's because my GPA wasn't exactly stellar, or maybe it's from the hundreds of engineers I've met. Very few of the really high GPA people I knew in school are the kind of people I'd want working for me.

your mileage may vary.
    This.

Coming out of school...it is a must unless you have stellar work experience. How else are they going to weed the retards out? Generally how you do in school shows how competant you are.

Once your out of school and have your first job and are looking for a new one...GPA no longer matters unless they ask for it so leave it off and just reference the degree you have obtained.

/my2cents

My Ride
    Eclipse

The only look @ GPA for a screening process, for example 2 dump the bottom 5%

Employers don't care much about GPA because those idiots, can just take 100 option classes and boost there GPA, they would rather a B is a class that matters then an A+ in some Bullshit, useless course
    Originally posted by beemerm3
    so if we only seen 5 % of the oceans why not drain them or somethin lol or can u even transfer water from one ocean to another??? think of all the stuff u'd find treasures n eerything.

Originally posted by Type_S1
    Coming out of school...it is a must unless you have stellar work experience. How else are they going to weed the retards out? Generally how you do in school shows how competant you are.

Once your out of school and have your first job and are looking for a new one...GPA no longer matters unless they ask for it so leave it off and just reference the degree you have obtained.

/my2cents
    100% disagree... Personal example, I excel at physics, however struggle with calculus due to its purely theoretical nature.

Calculus brings my gpa down... Does this mean I'll be a bad Engineer?? Not likely.

Your gpa is used as a small tool in the overall interview process. As "extraslow" pointed out, it is preferred to have someone with a lower average who is socially capable, and willing to learn, rather than someone with a ridiculous average who thinks they know it all and can barely hold a conversation.

I have heard this from numerous industry professionals including vice presidents, CFO, etc.

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

More to add, a good overall GPA only tells me that you are somewhat competent in general.

Now if you excelled in classes which are related to the technical skills that the potential employer is looking for, why wouldn't you say so in the resume?

My Ride
    Eclipse

We had done qualitative/quantitative research for my Marketing course..

We had done 30 interviews (energy, Non profit and Tourism) for calgary based companies, interviewing HR

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

Just a slide from it I pulled out..

I also forgot, a few employers had also said if they do see a 4.0GPA they usually though it out as they dont have people skills usually...

If anyone is interested in reading the whole Powerpoint please PM me your e-mail and you will be free to have the information...
    Last edited by Kobe; 12-07-2011 at 11:52 AM.
    Originally posted by beemerm3
    so if we only seen 5 % of the oceans why not drain them or somethin lol or can u even transfer water from one ocean to another??? think of all the stuff u'd find treasures n eerything.

My Ride
    958.2 Cayenne Diesel

Originally posted by Kobe
    I also forgot, a few employers had also said if they do see a 4.0GPA they usually though it out as they dont have people skills usually...
    This is staggering to me - wow

To answer the OP's question, if you do list a GPA, I would list the higher of Cumulative or ENGG Courses or Last 10 FTE.

Not to take this off topic, call me old school but as someone who is hiring for my organization I would never discriminate against someone who did well in school. I'm sure that a good percentage of 4.0's are socially inept and had their heads in books for 4 straight years, however, I'm sure there is a percentage of 4.0's who excel at the things they do, enjoy success, and are well rounded individuals.

I'm PMing you Kobe, not to discount anything you have said, but I would really like to look at this presentation.
    Last edited by Neil4Speed; 12-07-2011 at 12:33 PM.
    Originally posted by arian_ma
    your stomach is full of sulfuric acid

+1, you don't. Anywhere that cares about GPA will ask for your transcript. Anywhere else, you'll look like a douche.
    If you have a decent GPA, say 3.2+, why not list it? But I can see not listing your GPA if it's not particularly strong. As far as a major corporation coming to the conclusion that you're a douche because you listed your GPA on your resume, well that's just silly now isn't it?

Say you're applying to a company that asks for transcripts, but they screen based on resume's and only look at the transcripts that pass the screening. If that was the case, given that you have strong GPA, wouldn't it be wise to list it?

And just a thought, I think it's easy to downplay the importance of GPA when you often hear people saying how much more important work experience is than GPA. But the quality of your initial work experience is naturally going to be heavily based on your GPA.

last 10 FTE
    What's FTE?
    Last edited by GordonGekko; 12-07-2011 at 12:50 PM.

I've never cared for listing a specific GPA but I think there's value in listing things like distinction for your degree, etc.

Originally posted by GordonGekko

If you have a decent GPA, say 3.2+, why not list it? But I can see not listing your GPA if it's not particularly strong. As far as a major corporation coming to the conclusion that you're a douche because you listed your GPA on your resume, well that's just silly now isn't it?

Say you're applying to a company that asks for transcripts, but they screen based on resume's and only look at the transcripts that pass the screening. If that was the case, given that you have strong GPA, wouldn't it be wise to list it?
    I can't speak for everyone doing the hiring, but the people I have talked to/ know well all said the transcript is usually a formality and 98% of the time won't even look at it... Unless you simply have an INCREDIBLY weak resume.

Op, do you have any prior industry work experience?

Op, do you have any prior industry work experience?
    No I'm a first year ENGG major.

Originally posted by vengie

100% disagree... Personal example, I excel at physics, however struggle with calculus due to its purely theoretical nature.

Calculus brings my gpa down... Does this mean I'll be a bad Engineer?? Not likely.

Your gpa is used as a small tool in the overall interview process. As "extraslow" pointed out, it is preferred to have someone with a lower average who is socially capable, and willing to learn, rather than someone with a ridiculous average who thinks they know it all and can barely hold a conversation.

I have heard this from numerous industry professionals including vice presidents, CFO, etc.
    Couldn't disagree with you more. A GPA shows how competant you are in general. Employers want to know if you are competant coming out of school and could give a shit less if your the coolest guy in the world with a 2.5 GPA because your not competant in what 4 years of your life was put towards.

It's funny how people assume high GPA's = no social skills...this is really the only argument someone has against not putting it on apparantly. Any employer that thinks this I wouldn't want to work for in the first place coming out of school. I know this for a fact because an extremely large part of my job is networking and being social. If someone doing what I do comes out of university with a high GPA does that mean they will fail at the job? Not likely...

and it is kind of useless to say an employer wants someone who is socially capable and willing to learn...of course they want this...every employer wants this they would rather have someone like this with the highest GPA I can gaurantee you that.

As for the employers throwing out the 4.0 GPA resumes...might be true because personally you have to have your head crammed in books to finish every single class with an A...you should get out more...just like the people with 3.0 KD ratios on COD

OP...Balance is key like in anything...your GPA does matter but so does your personality, extra ciricular(ie sports) and your communication skills. Like I've been told time and time again...your GPA will only get you in an interview...everything else gets you the job

Originally posted by GordonGekko

No I'm a first year ENGG major.
    What branch are you looking to major in?

If you can apply for summer internships. Or better yet, go into the field and get your hands dirty.

I'll assume you are attempting to break into O&G, field experience is a HUGE asset coming out of school. Look at becoming a well operator or a swamper with a service company... Or straight up work on the rigs.

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

Originally posted by Type_S1

Couldn't disagree with you more. A GPA shows how competant you are in general. Employers want to know if you are competant coming out of school and could give a shit less if your the coolest guy in the world with a 2.5 GPA because your not competant in what 4 years of your life was put towards.

It's funny how people assume high GPA's = no social skills...this is really the only argument someone has against not putting it on apparantly. Any employer that thinks this I wouldn't want to work for in the first place coming out of school. I know this for a fact because an extremely large part of my job is networking and being social. If someone doing what I do comes out of university with a high GPA does that mean they will fail at the job? Not likely...

and it is kind of useless to say an employer wants someone who is socially capable and willing to learn...of course they want this...every employer wants this they would rather have someone like this with the highest GPA I can gaurantee you that.

As for the employers throwing out the 4.0 GPA resumes...might be true because personally you have to have your head crammed in books to finish every single class with an A...you should get out more...just like the people with 3.0 KD ratios on COD

OP...Balance is key like in anything...your GPA does matter but so does your personality, extra ciricular(ie sports) and your communication skills. Like I've been told time and time again...your GPA will only get you in an interview...everything else gets you the job
    Bang on! You know what's worse than a weirdo with good grades? A weirdo with poor grade. What's better than a party animal with mediocre grade? A party animal with good grade.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast