Quantcast
Bill 26 passes today, breathalyzer challenge #2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Bill 26 passes today, breathalyzer challenge #2

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Default Bill 26 passes today, breathalyzer challenge #2

We're getting tougher drinking and driving laws starting in the new year!

With that being said, here's our breathalyzer challenge #2.

http://www.beyond.ca/bill-26-passes-...e-2/11275.html
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

The bill in BC that this is based on has already been challenged in court and has had parts of it unconstitutional. Specifically, it does not allow the offender adequate chance to defend themselves. I can almost guarantee the first person in AB that gets hit with this will fight it and use that as precedent.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    Nothing Good.

Nevermind .05 who is that smoke show with the breathalyzer?
    A Ferrari is a high maintenance chick, you spend money regardless of what you do with her. You can baby the C63, or slap on all seasons, and you won't be spending anything but yearly maintenance. Of course that's like dating a stripper and refusing to fuck her, which would make you gay.

Originally posted by Rage2

They are right to get tougher on drunk driving. They are targeting the wrong people though. The stats show its not people between 0.05 and 0.08 that are killing people.

My Ride
    Ram 1500, '68 Camaro, S14

Haha shoulda brought me out for the testing

There's so much Acetaldehyd in that room I don't know how you can say it's a fair test

My Ride

Were there any non-asians in this test?

Surprising results, but I think a greater cross section of "test subjects" would be interesting as well.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

if you need a big white guy for this free meal test, im in!

Well Done ~ I've always enjoy your investigative journalism.

I'm still comfortable with the 3 drink max, and ensuring any test is done 15 mins after last drink.

Thanks.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Rage, I love asian women, but I'm not sure that's a really helpful test in a province where the majority of drunk drivers are white men.

That being said, did you get any more "interesting" pics for that test night?
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    NC1

Originally posted by bourge73
    Nevermind .05 who is that smoke show with the breathalyzer?
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    G6

According to your test, I, being a ~200lb white man, can drink 7 shots of vodka and not blow over 0.05? Did not expect that.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Did you guys eat before hand?

I find that makes the world of difference.... empty stomach + 2 even 3 drinks in an hour is insta-drunk and well on the way to black-out-loser-drunk levels haha. However on a full stomach after a big meal 4 or 5 drinks has little to no effect.

Originally posted by FraserB
    The bill in BC that this is based on has already been challenged in court and has had parts of it unconstitutional. Specifically, it does not allow the offender adequate chance to defend themselves. I can almost guarantee the first person in AB that gets hit with this will fight it and use that as precedent.
    Yes, but those parts ran parallel with existing Criminal legislation. The provincial government doesn't have authority to do so, and aside from that, that section of the law didn't allow for due process for such a severe punishment.

Ours will be significantly different, and already is. Our existing 24 hour legislation (section 89 of the TSA) allows for people who want to challenge a 24 hour suspension to take an Intoxilyzer test (not the roadside, big difference!) at a District Office. This legislation will be no different, and because of that will stand up to Charter challenges.
    ---------------------------------------------------

Any writings in this forum are my personal view and all opinions expressed should be taken as such; there is no implied or direct opinion representative of anything but my own thoughts on various subjects.

Originally posted by lasimmon
    They are right to get tougher on drunk driving. They are targeting the wrong people though. The stats show its not people between 0.05 and 0.08 that are killing people.
    They may not be killing as many people, but they still do. They also cause serious injury collisions and hurt themselves in the process. From my side of the fence I've seen more than enough to be convinced that .05 and over impaired driving.

I've had impaired files were someone wasn't over .08 mg/% BAC, but at .05 or .06 they weren't able to drive, as evidenced by poor driving behaviour and other indicia. You don't have to be .08 or over to be impaired!

Any writings in this forum are my personal view and all opinions expressed should be taken as such; there is no implied or direct opinion representative of anything but my own thoughts on various subjects.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by phil98z24
    I've had impaired files were someone wasn't over .08 mg/% BAC, but at .05 or .06 they weren't able to drive, as evidenced by poor driving behaviour and other indicia. You don't have to be .08 or over to be impaired!
    I've been saying this ever since I bought a breathalyzer. It's ridiculous how drunk you are at 0.05 BAC.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

I love the write-up! Next time around I would like to see someone in the 250 lbs range as a test subject.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

Originally posted by rage2

I've been saying this ever since I bought a breathalyzer. It's ridiculous how drunk you are at 0.05 BAC.
    Uh huh.. I've always said that .08 BAC is verrrry generous. I'm thinking it's only a matter of time before the Criminal law is changed.

That being said, as you've seen and will see with your other scenario, the hospitality industry has little to worry about with this. It's a lot of fear mongering and people will quickly see that 2 drinks with dinner will be no cause for concern. I think this will be good for everyone; public policy surrounding this can't be ignored.

My Ride

Another test that would be interesting is to grab the same people, and see if their perception of drunkenness changes with caffeine (red bull and vodkas)

Originally posted by phil98z24

Yes, but those parts ran parallel with existing Criminal legislation. The provincial government doesn't have authority to do so, and aside from that, that section of the law didn't allow for due process for such a severe punishment.

Ours will be significantly different, and already is. Our existing 24 hour legislation (section 89 of the TSA) allows for people who want to challenge a 24 hour suspension to take an Intoxilyzer test (not the roadside, big difference!) at a District Office. This legislation will be no different, and because of that will stand up to Charter challenges.
    I've read the Bill and the recent BC court decision (the BC decision is here if you want to read it), and Phil is 100% correct. The Justice upheld almost all of the law, including all parts that dealt with people who blow over 0.05 and under 0.08. The only part of the law he found unconstitutional were the provisions that put extra punishments onto people who blow over 0.08. He found that the punishments imposed there were too great to not allow the same due process as for a criminal charge.

To add on to what Phil wrote about the second test, the other thing I read in the Alberta Bill that was interesting is that you could also blow into a second, different, roadside device immediately after blowing in the 'warn' range. This different roadside device would display numerical results for tests, and if it does not confirm a breath result greater than 0.05, there would be no suspension, etc. This is an alternative to taking the person to the district office to blow on the device there, so it looks like there are two ways to confirm (or reject) the initial roadside result in this law.

The only change from this Bill that affects people who are charged criminally (for impaired driving, blowing over the legal limit, or refusing to blow) is that they would be immediately suspended from driving upon being charged and that suspension would continue until the criminal charges reach a conclusion. That could be a long time if waiting for trial. The average trial delay now is about 6-9 months.

I expect this part of the Bill to be challenged, but I think there's a good chance it will be upheld.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast