Quantcast
Nova Scotia makes ski helmets mandatory - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Nova Scotia makes ski helmets mandatory

My Ride
    400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans

Default Nova Scotia makes ski helmets mandatory

For a province that barely has any ski hills you'd think they'd have more important issues to focus on. Horrible law.

Ski helmets to be mandatory in N.S.
    CBC News Posted: Dec 6, 2011 11:30 AM AT Last Updated: Dec 7, 2011 9:47 AM AT Read 191 comments191
    Should helmets be mandatory on Canada's ski slopes?
    Helmets save skiers, snowboarders: review
    Helmets remain optional at Atlantic ski hillsThe Nova Scotia government plans to pass a law requiring all skiers to wear helmets. CBCThe Nova Scotia government plans to pass a law requiring all skiers to wear helmets.

Under legislation introduced on Tuesday, any skier not wearing protective headgear would face a $250 fine for each offence.

According to the Department of Health and Wellness, 11 people have suffered traumatic brain injuries since 2000 that have been related to skiing or snowboarding without a helmet.

Health Minister Maureen MacDonald said studies have shown that although helmet use is mandatory for children in most jurisdictions, many teens and adults tend to discard the safety measure.

She said the aim of the proposed legislation is to prevent traumatic head injuries at any age.

"Really, if we are going to get serious about helmet use and preventing traumatic brain injuries, this is the group we have to target and the way to do it is through mandatory requirements to wear helmets," said MacDonald.

The bill would also require ski hill operators to post signs alerting people to mandatory helmet use, but there are no fines if they don't. MacDonald said the responsibility of wearing helmets would rest with skiers and snowboarders.

"This legislation puts the onus on the individual. It does not put the onus on the ski hill operator."

P.O.V.
    Should helmets be mandatory on ski slopes? Take our survey.
    The new law would go into effect next November.

It's not known what it would cost to have government inspectors enforce the law.

Lynne Fenerty, research nurse with the Queen Elizabeth II Health Sciences Centre's division of neurosurgery, said doctors at the Halifax hospital endorsed the government's move.

Fenerty said research has revealed that helmet use has reduced brain injuries by up to 60 per cent.

"These injuries have life-long consequences for patients, families and communities at large," she said.

Fenerty said the annual cost of caring for a person who has suffered a major brain injury is about $400,000.

Nova Scotia has three ski resorts that open regularly every year.
    Looking for a new VW? How about a used vehicle? We are Central Albertas #1 source for pre-owned vehicles
    I will beat any deal on a new VW for beyonders

Gary Moe Volkswagen/Gary Moe Used Car Superstore!

Red Deer, AB

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Similar in concept to the seat belt law, which these days isn't seen as an intrusion on person liberty.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    CRF 250L

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    Similar in concept to the seat belt law, which these days isn't seen as an intrusion on person liberty.
    More nanny state bullshit.

Pretty soon they will make skiing/snowboarding illegal because no matter what they do people are still getting hurt.

EDIT: and out of curiosity, if there were 11 people that traumatic brain injuries from skiing, how many other people had traumatic brain injuries in the last 12 years?

11 people have suffered traumatic brain injuries since 2000 that have been related to skiing or snowboarding without a helmet.
    11 People got hurt over a 12 year period doing a dangerous physical activity at high speeds and they are complaining????

How many hundreds of people got traumatic brain injury from car accidents over the same period? Should everyone in a car also wear a helmet?

stupid.

Edit x 2:

FUCK OFF NANNY STATE!

Each year approximately 700 Nova Scotians suffer a traumatic brain injury. Illnesses, strokes and aneurysms increase this number to over 2000. Long-term effects of these injuries in general terms are that 80% are expected to be mild, 9% will be moderate, and 11% severe.

So let me get this straight, they want to fine people to possibly save 1 person per year, when there are 2000 cases per year from other causes?????

What a bunch of cunts. F O A D

http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/bians1/
    Last edited by broken_legs; 12-07-2011 at 03:17 PM.
    TRUTH: it's the new hate speech.
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act. - Orwell

You can ski in Nova Scotia?
    0.5 gram microsd delivered by 12,000 pound combustion vehicle and driver.

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

Originally posted by broken_legs
    [B]

How many hundreds of people got traumatic brain injury from car accidents over the same period? Should everyone in a car also wear a helmet?
    DON'T GIVE THEM ANY IDEAS!
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

You just have to do it in style.

My Ride
    CRF 250L

fromm the same guys on bike helmets:

85% of deaths were caused from head injury.

But they wont tell you how many deaths.

Well they also posted a statistic about how many deaths were DIRECTLY CAUSED BY WEARING A HELMET!

18 playground deaths have been reported since 1982. 17 of these deaths were due to strangulation when drawstrings,
    skipping ropes, scarves, or loose clothing became entangled in playground equipment or fences, or when a child wearing a
    bike helmet got his/her head trapped in an opening in-playground equipment

US statistics show that 61% of deaths were caused by head injury. Also that 65 % of deaths were caused by car vs bike.

They report that there were 630 deaths from bikes in 2009.

If they only made riding your bike on the road illegall, that would save at least 384 needless deaths per year.

Likewise if we take the same injury rate and apply it to canada. We get an annual rate of 68 deaths per year - where 41 could be prevented if Canada would just legislate that riding bikes on the road is illegal.

So now assume that 60% of those deaths were children -that gives us 24 deaths due to head injury per year. With the risk of at least one child dying from actually wearing the helmet and getting strangled on a playground at school with the current helmet usage rate.

So if we assume further that these deaths would be prevented if only children had been wearing helmets, we can also assume the rate of deaths on the playground will go up too due to increased helmet usage.

That is, unless of course, that pretty much everyone wears a helmet already, and getting hit by a car and having your head run over, is actually the reason why there are so many head injuries.

Helmets are stupid.

So are people that force you to wear them.
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act. - Orwell

My Ride
    Bicycle

[B]
    So let me get this straight, they want to fine people to possibly save 1 person per year, when there are 2000 cases per year from other causes?????
    The way I look at it, it's injury from a voluntary recreational activity which draw resources from society.

So I would only take your position only if not wearing an helmet is same as signing a DNR.

My Ride
    400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans

There is no denying that helmets save lives but if you look at an injury as a drain on our society then maybe we shouldn't be running, or hiking or biking or doing any sort of physical activity. The ski hills in our province draw in huge tourism dollars that more than cover the cost of treating the few injured skiers out there.

With that being said, skiing is about freedom and fun, there is nothing free or fun about wearing a helmet. I wear mine when the risk is high and I'm doing something scary but when it's sunny and hot in may or it's a powder day there is nothing worse than wearing a helmet.
    Looking for a new VW? How about a used vehicle? We are Central Albertas #1 source for pre-owned vehicles
    I will beat any deal on a new VW for beyonders

Gary Moe Volkswagen/Gary Moe Used Car Superstore!

Red Deer, AB

My Ride
    NC1

What about snowboarders? Lol my buddy got a mild concussion with a helmet on lol
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    CRF 250L

Originally posted by Xtrema

The way I look at it, it's injury from a voluntary recreational activity which draw resources from society.

So I would only take your position only if not wearing an helmet is same as signing a DNR.

Well I'm going to have to go ahead and apply your logic to every voluntary recreational activity, and go even further and apply it to every voluntary activity where a risk injury is present.

Hiking, running, swimming, climbing, etc... And while were at it, let's throw in smoking, drinking, drug use, eating fatty foods, being overweight, being too thin, not getting enough sleep at night, watching lots of TV, reading in the dark....

Why should my tax dollars pay to resuscitate or heal anyones injuries if they voluntarily chose to leave their safety cocoon and enjoy life like a normal human being?
    Last edited by broken_legs; 12-07-2011 at 03:57 PM.

My Ride
    Z

I don't need a nanny and I don't need to wear a helmet if I don't want to
    Z32 TT
    1996 Integra - winter beater with studs - RIP (deer)
    2002 WRX - to be sold
    2010 sti - winter

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
    With that being said, skiing is about freedom and fun, there is nothing free or fun about wearing a helmet. I wear mine when the risk is high and I'm doing something scary but when it's sunny and hot in may or it's a powder day there is nothing worse than wearing a helmet.
    I used to wear a helmet because of the safety factor. Now I wear it because it is very comfortable, it holds my goggles in just the right spot, and to be honest, it's MORE comfortable for me than a toque.

If your helmet is really uncomfortable, buy a different helmet.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

~snip ranting snip~

Helmets are stupid.

So are people that force you to wear them.
    The MOMENT that people are forced to pay the health care costs for their decisions, is the moment I agree with you. As it stands, the Gov't is limiting it's risk by making helmets mandatory.

This is a great example of personal risk and public liability, in reality, no different from banks & gov't.

Now, I'm just using generic internet numbers, but my friend Jody was in ICU for nine days because of a head injury that could have been prevented by a helmet. At a rough cost of 20k a day, that's almost a $100k for ONE person. She had daily MRI's at $1000 each (what I paid for mine)..

Tell me again how this is a stupid law?

I WISH truly and deeply that hospitals could ask this question... "Where you knowingly engaged in a high risk activity? Ok. Were you wearing appropriate safety gear? Nope? Ok, how will you be paying for that?"

Edit: I laughed when I read about the fine. That's actually brilliant. It's pretty obvious to me that the ski hills are going to be the ones enforcing this in order to limit their liability. It'll quickly be, "Helmet or no lift ticket," I'd be totally surprised if the Gov't spend even a penny enforcing it.
    Last edited by codetrap; 12-07-2011 at 04:54 PM.

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

My Ride
    STi

It's definitely not going to be a popular law, but I think it's a good one. A buddy of mine got a pretty bad concussion one year, and I can only imagine what would have happened if he wasn't wearing a helmet.

I don't even mind wearing one to be honest. Instead of a toque, I just wear a helmet and it keeps me warm.

My Ride
    05 Civic

I remember reading somewhere that helmets are only rated to save your noggin at ~15 mph. For those of us that like to charge runs approaching 30-40 mph, an impact with your head would probably shatter the helmet and leave you with a pretty bad head injury still. Helmets do not make you completely suseptible to head injury, like I am sure many users think they do (as did I once).

After mentioning that though, I would take it with a grain of salt as I think anything between your head and a tree/ice/hard surface will help in a collision. I wear a helmet every time I am on the mountain, I find it warmer, better fit for my goggles, and feel safer with it on. I have fallen a couple times and hit my head, and felt a wake up call everytime, having just thought what I would feel like if I did not have a helmet on (probably a day ender at the very least).

I personally think it is pretty stupid to go on the hill without a helmet, but that is my opinion and I see no reason to push it onto others
    Last edited by -relk-; 12-07-2011 at 05:26 PM.

My Ride
    CRF 250L

Originally posted by codetrap

The MOMENT that people are forced to pay the health care costs for their decisions, is the moment I agree with you. As it stands, the Gov't is limiting it's risk by making helmets mandatory.

This is a great example of personal risk and public liability, in reality, no different from banks & gov't.

Now, I'm just using generic internet numbers, but my friend Jody was in ICU for nine days because of a head injury that could have been prevented by a helmet. At a rough cost of 20k a day, that's almost a $100k for ONE person. She had daily MRI's at $1000 each (what I paid for mine)..

Tell me again how this is a stupid law?

I WISH truly and deeply that hospitals could ask this question... "Where you knowingly engaged in a high risk activity? Ok. Were you wearing appropriate safety gear? Nope? Ok, how will you be paying for that?"

Edit: I laughed when I read about the fine. That's actually brilliant. It's pretty obvious to me that the ski hills are going to be the ones enforcing this in order to limit their liability. It'll quickly be, "Helmet or no lift ticket," I'd be totally surprised if the Gov't spend even a penny enforcing it.
    What else do you recommend that the government do to limit its liability?

Seems like a pretty slippery slope to me.

ie

You get hit by car after leaving the restaurant. Oh - you had a glass of wine with your meal, sorry were not covering you.

Show me some statistics of these voluntary activities causing a massive drain on the medical system, and I might be swayed slightly into accepting the premise behind this idea - However, I will never accept a government of soccer moms telling me what I can and cannot do with my own body.

I don't pay Canadian health insurance premiums, and I don't have coverage provided by the government of Canada - So why should I have to obey these retarded laws when I am in Canada?

Oh, and my insurance company doesn't ask me what kind of sports I play, or what my recreational activities are. Somehow they still manage to make a profit. Strange isn't it?

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

I have witnessed a helmet cracked like eggshell and the guy walked away fine. I could only imagine what might have happened without the helmet.

I won't force anyone to wear one but they sure do protect your head to some extend.

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

Show me some statistics of these voluntary activities causing a massive drain on the medical system

I don't pay Canadian health insurance premiums, and I don't have coverage provided by the government of Canada - So why should I have to obey these retarded laws when I am in Canada?

Oh, and my insurance company doesn't ask me what kind of sports I play, or what my recreational activities are. Somehow they still manage to make a profit. Strange isn't it?
    Do your own searches.

Then STFU about our laws. Suck it up.

My insurance company most certainly DID ask me those questions.

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

My Ride
    CRF 250L

Originally posted by codetrap

Do your own searches.

Then STFU about our laws. Suck it up.

My insurance company most certainly DID ask me those questions.
    Me: I don't agree with something the government does

You: STFU about our laws. Suck it up.

What kind of country would Canada be if you were in charge? It's not even a law yet. And i did do searches. I found that 1/2000th of the brain trauma in Nova Scotia is caused from Skiing.

You are just asserting things. Stupid things. Thats almost non-existant. They will spend more money in salaries of law makers sitting in cabinet discussing this bill then they will treating any potential ski brain victims this year - They could be busy discussing things that actually make a real difference - Like the 1999 other brain injuries.

It's a joke.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast