Quantcast
Be aware of BowDog (dog) daycare (mostly rant) - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Be aware of BowDog (dog) daycare (mostly rant)

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Default Be aware of BowDog (dog) daycare (mostly rant)

I just thought I'd share this information with everyone, because for a year now I've been telling people how great BowDog Calgary Dog Walkers, but I am no longer taking mine there.

When they first opened, we started bringing him there once a week, and the owners and staff were really welcoming and seemed knowledgeable. I warned them that we'd unsuccessfully tried crate training our Siberian husky for the first 4 years of his life (he's 10 now), but he just would not get accustomed to them, and had torn 5 kennels apart (2 plastic and 3 metal). They assured us it wouldn't be a problem, and they would work with him, and keep him out if he couldn't handle it, and at the time the dogs were only crated for "nap time" between noon and 2pm.

Ever since then, we've taken him once a week (90% of weeks), usually dropping him off at 11am, and picking him up at 6:30pm. Whenever we picked him up, we would always ask how he was, and the staff ALWAYS said he was good, and a really great dog.

FFWD to today, I got a call from the owner, suggesting we no longer bring our dog to them, because he wasn't crate trained, and had destroyed 4 kennels in the past few months. Apparently he was stressing too much during the "nap time" BETWEEN 10AM AND 2PM.

No one had ever mentioned anything of this to us before, even when we specifically asked how he was that day, EVERYTIME. But what really pissed us off, was the fact they started crating the dogs for "nap time" for literally half the day! People are paying $33/day for their dog to be put in a kennel for 4 hours.

So basically, every time I dropped my dog off, he would could straight into a kennel for 3 hours with all these other dogs around him, and they didn't understand why he was stressed out and going nuts in there . They're explanation for the extended crating was that it was too much excitement for the boarded (overnight) dogs, so instead of just crating the boarded ones for longer, they crate them all.

Anyways, I just thought I'd rant a little here, and forewarn others, that if your taking your dog to them for the day, it's being crated for FAR longer than they initially tell people, and to me doesn't seem worth the price.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

if u want to have a dog and dont have the time to take care of it then maybe u shouldnt have one to start with?

My Ride
    03 Mdx, 05 Gli

Originally posted by Jetta-2.0
    if u want to have a dog and dont have the time to take care of it then maybe u shouldnt have one to start with?

Completely agree. OP did say they've had the dog for 10 years though and his dog only goes there once/week, so I don't think your statement applies to him.

Maybe he is taking his dog there to be social with others dogs.

Anyways, OP, very sorry to hear. I can imagine it's pretty frustrating finding that out. It's like why waste your time/money taking him there when you could have easily just thrown him in a kennel at home.

My Ride
    Hondas

reading > you.

My Ride
    '19 GTI

Last edited by swak; 12-08-2011 at 09:00 AM.

My Ride
    TRD Pro

You're an idiot.
    If a dog owner is taking the responsibility of taking their dog to daycare on the days they will be away too long they should be commended. 100x better than leaving the dog at home by themselves.

OP, if you are looking for a better daycare, I have been taking my dog to "Barks and Recreation" in Marda Loop...

The only time the dogs are crated are when they seem tired, and need a timeout. (Typically only the older dogs) Otherwise they are free to play with everyone else. The people that run it are very good with dogs, and keep all the dogs in check. The only daycare Ive been to that doesnt allow the dogs to sit there and bark all day long!
    Plus its cheaper.. like $25 a day.

My Ride
    Mazda 3 GT

Thanks for putting the warning out. I'd lose it if I found out that that was how my dog was being treated. Appreciate the thread, OP.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE

Stop with the antics. Beyonder.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Originally posted by project240

Maybe he is taking his dog there to be social with others dogs.

That's exactly why we were bringing him, I thought I mentioned that in my post, but must have edited it out. We don't know anyone else with dogs that live anywhere close to us, and only get so much socialization in dog parks (as long as the walk is, VS playing all day)

Originally posted by R-Audi

OP, if you are looking for a better daycare, I have been taking my dog to "Barks and Recreation" in Marda Loop...
    Thanks, it's quite out of my way to work, but better than nothing, I'll give them a try!
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Post the review on YPCA: http://www.yellowpages.ca/bus/Albert...&le=e441b7732c|14c6c

That gets ranked well in Google and is tracked by third party review sites.

i would be pretty upset too if I found out they were kenneling him twice as long as they told you they were. for a dog who isn't used to it, 4 hours would be a long time to be caged up in a kennel where you can't stretch out, etc. you are probably better off just leaving him at home all day.

Nothings really wrong with being a kennel that long , as long as the dog is trained/used to it (some dogs never get comfortable in a kennel, and no biggy there!) , and as long as the kennel is of adequate size.

Sounds like the OP is a great dog owner, and I appreciate this review!

I guess the one good thing about the in-laws living so close is I just drop my dog off while I head out for the day on appointments so she always has 2 other dogs to play with and is being looked after by people I trust.
    Originally posted by Mibz
    She's already exhibiting signs of turning into my Mom, I need some sort of legal recourse if a full-blown transformation occurs.

My Ride
    Pushbroom

My dog likes her kennel? I always leave the door of it propped open and she'll go in there a LOT on her own free will if she needs some quiet time or just wants to lay down.

Originally posted by 403Gemini
    Nothings really wrong with being a kennel that long , as long as the dog is trained/used to it (some dogs never get comfortable in a kennel, and no biggy there!) , and as long as the kennel is of adequate size.
    i disagree, if you plan on keeping your dog in a kennel for intended periods of time, it needs to at least be large enough for the dog to run back and forth, etc. I do not agree with people who lock dogs in tiny transport carriers for intended periods of time.

if you want to cage your dog, you should at least be willing to spend the time and money to do it humanely. my parents have been breeding hunting dogs for 30 years, and at any one time can have 20 or 30 dogs. does that mean they just buy a lot of dog carriers? no, it means building a giant and expensive kennel building with individual outdoor runs for each dog.

My Ride
    TRD Pro

That obviously depends on the dog. Big hunting dogs need a lot more exercise and room then most inside pets... What is recommended for most dogs is that the kennel be big enough to stand up and turn around in...
    Thats all assuming they get the proper amount of exercise when out of the kennel as well.

My Ride
    B5 S4, UrQ, UZJ100, 990 SMR

Just wanted to plug my dog walker here... I've been using a lady by the name of Kimberley Orr.

I've been using her for the past year - and she's phenominal. She gives me e-mail updates every week of how the walks went, what they encountered, what commands they worked on, etc etc.

I can say enough good things about her. If there's one bill that I have no qualms paying, it's hers.

She charges $20/h and walks are a minimum of 1.5hrs. I have her come by 3x a week and is absolutely passionate about dogs. She's totally in love with my Malamute.

That being said, I still walk my dog every day myself, but being at the office for longer hours means I'd rather have Noa interact with someone throughout the day instead of waiting around till night time to go out with me. I see a behavioural difference everytime I come home and he's been walked by her.

If anyone is interested in her services, fire me a PM. She comes to your house for pick up and drop off, and has lots of experience with the more difficult breeds as well (bully breeds, spitz, etc.).

I don't think there's ANYTHING wrong with paying a dog walker. All I want is the best for my Mal, and if that means paying someone to get him some extra attention while I'm making a paycheque during the day, so be it!!

Here's her website:

http://whatthewoof.wordpress.com/
    Originally posted by InRich
    tell her I'll pick her up in the vette
    Originally posted by InRich
    The X5 i bought earlier this year really is FULLY LOADED though not a single option missing including infrared night driving

Originally posted by Maxx Mazda
    My dog likes her kennel? I always leave the door of it propped open and she'll go in there a LOT on her own free will if she needs some quiet time or just wants to lay down.

My dog sleeps locked in his kennel and in the morning I open it up and he stays there for like an hour or 2 haha. And also will just go in there sometimes.

Originally posted by R-Audi
    That obviously depends on the dog. Big hunting dogs need a lot more exercise and room then most inside pets... What is recommended for most dogs is that the kennel be big enough to stand up and turn around in...
    Thats all assuming they get the proper amount of exercise when out of the kennel as well.
    hunting dogs aren't big, LOL. and i certainly wouldn't want to be locked in a cage where I can just turn around. many people here say "they are animals and can't feel it," but that's nonsense as the underlying physiology is exactly the same.
    Last edited by Guillermo; 12-08-2011 at 01:03 PM.

My Ride
    05 Civic

Originally posted by Guillermo

hunting dogs aren't big, LOL. and i certainly wouldn't want to be locked in a cage where I can just turn around. many people here say "they are animals and can't feel it," but that's nonsense as the underlying physiology is exactly the same.
    The people who say that should not own a dog, or be able to own one.

First world problem.

My Ride
    TRD Pro

Originally posted by Guillermo

Thats fine if they aren't big, but most sporting dogs are more active and have different instinct then most house pets.

I dont think anyone here has said that animals can't feel it, what some people have said is that their dogs enjoy it. As in its a natural instinct for dogs to have a den, and their crate acts as a den in many cases. If they are raised to treat the crate as a den, I dont see it being a huge problem to leave the dog in their crate for a reasonable amount of time. (Which of course is a whole different argument)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast