Quantcast
Attawapiskat Crisis - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 10 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Attawapiskat Crisis

Default Attawapiskat Crisis

Story from CBC:
    The federal government will send 15 modular homes to the troubled Attawapiskat reserve in northern Ontario to help deal with the community's housing crisis, Aboriginal Affairs Minister John Duncan says.

Duncan told reporters in Ottawa that the homes, which cost around $1.2 million, would be sent to the remote reserve near James Bay when winter roads to the community are open, likely in January.

Duncan reiterated the government's offer to either evacuate some residents from the community or move them to temporary lodgings at a sports centre or healing lodge.

"Our government has prioritized the urgent health and safety needs of the residents of Attawapiskat," Duncan said.

About 1,800 people live in Attawapiskat, where a severe housing shortage has forced families to live in tents and unheated trailers, some without access to running water and electricity. Many others live in crowded, substandard housing.

Local leaders declared a state of emergency at the end of October.

Crisis has been 'mishandled'
    Duncan again said the government would conduct a comprehensive, independent audit of the band's finances.

"It's clear that significant investment in the community has not generated the results that the residents of Attawapiskat deserve and all Canadians expect."

New Democrat MP Charlie Angus, who represents northern Ontario area, said moving in extra homes was a good move but the federal government needs to do more.

"Unfortunately, I think they mishandled this file all along," he said.

Sometimes the winter roads do not open until the end of January, Angus said, and weather conditions could turn extremely harsh in the meantime.

He also said moving people into the sports centre wasn't a viable option.

"It's a big ice rink with a shed on top," he said. "You can't put people there."

Greg Shisheesh, a community activist from Attawapiskat, told CBC News elders in the community say the winter roads might not open until February.

He also rejected the plan to move some residents to the healing centre because it is far from Attawapiskat and has no plumbing.

Shisheesh also asked why Duncan has yet to visit the area to "hear the cries of the whole reserve of Attawapiskat."

Manager earns $1,300 a day
    Duncan on Friday again urged Attawapiskat's leaders to work with the government's third-party manager.

The move last week to appoint Jacques Marion, from the accounting and consulting firm BDO Canada LLP, to oversee the band's finances at a cost of $1,300 a day drew the ire of many aboriginal leaders.

Attawapiskat Chief Theresa Spence has described the move as "very shameful."

Duncan said Marion's salary would be drawn from the band's governance funds and wouldn't hinder the delivery of social programs, including education.

Angus described the appointment of Marion, which he said could end up costing the band $300,000 a year, as a punishment.

"That will cripple this band," Angus said.

Marion was told to leave the reserve shortly after arriving but still remains in control of the community's funding, according to a release from Aboriginal Affairs.

The government says it has given Attawapiskat around $90 million since 2006, including $4.3 million for on-reserve housing. It has also ordered an independent audit of the community's finances.

Attawapiskat is only the most recent example of how overcrowding and dilapidated infrastructure on reserves can lead to community-wide health and safety issues.
    Source:http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/...onference.html
    Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-08-2019 at 12:37 PM.

b_t is offline b_t is a huge nag (2019 friendly)
    My Ride
    FC3S 10AE / Tacoma

Sounds to me like the reserve has some serious corruption problems. $4.3 mil can buy a lot of housing.

The government says it has given Attawapiskat around $90 million since 2006, including $4.3 million for on-reserve housing.

Having a hard time swallowing that mismanagement isn't an issue here. But it is only $10,000 per person each of those 5 years, if these actually is 1800 band members there. I still think they should build housing out of sea cans there. Or concrete. We don't get good value for our money in pulling up more disposable ATCO trailers of trying to refurbish the shit that's already up there.

My Ride
    TRD Pro

Be interesting to see what the Chiefs house looks like...
    From what I understand (and I could be wrong) but the Chiefs are given the money, and distribute it as they see fit.
    Like paying a manager 475k a year!!

While corruption plays a major part, I dont believe some of these groups are educated enough in terms of finance.
    I know out in Windermere BC you see a large family living in a trailer with new Shiny trucks sitting out front.

Generally I find him a pretty obviously biased loudmouth, but this time Ezra Levant hits the nail on the head.

http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/video/u.../1305119208001

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

$34M per year. $70k per family.

Fuck.. I watched that video and almost got a tear in my eye. He may be an ass, and he may be abrasive as hell, but he's absofuckinglutely dead on.
    Last edited by codetrap; 12-09-2011 at 03:03 PM.

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

My Ride
    W204

I posted about this in the Occupy thread but I'll repeat a bit here...

I've worked in some of these Northern communities. Sure the chief gets to enjoy many benefits like shiny new trucks every few years and yes a few dollars gets "misplaced" here and there, but in the grand scheme of things, corruption isn't as rampant as you might think. I'll try to give some insight on what happens with "funds".

The band is audited every single year. They are REQUIRED to receive an unqualified audit opinion. If not, then funds are either withheld or cut in subsequent periods. Many projects also require interim reports before the next batch of funds are released. This is why (and rightly so) they are pissed off that Mr. Harper and Mr. Duncan are making this out to be a case of mismanaged funds.

A bit of background on these projects: the government pays the band X number of dollars to sustain them based on their population, etc... And then on top of that, they propose "projects" that they will take on each year. Each project proposes its intent and funds required. If it passes, then funds are released at intervals specified in the project proposal (they are almost NEVER paid out in full at the onset). So in Attawapiskat's case, they received about $18M a year ($90/5). Maybe $2-3 of that would've been for the community and the rest for projects and remember, these are projects that the government themselves approve.

The projects are intended to create employment in the community as well as improve living conditions, infrastructure, or provide a service, etc.... As an example of a project, in one community, the band contracts (or creates a project) with the government to maintain the ice road. They will propose something like we need $2M - $200k to pay the workers (usually people in the community), $1M to buy new equipment, $700k for supplies, and $100k for the band as administration charges (say to maintain the band office, hire admin staff, etc..).

Now as for the media pointing out a new Zamboni and ice rinks and stuff... Remember again that those are individual projects. They would've sent a proposal to buy the Zamboni, and the government would've sent them money JUST to buy that one thing alone. The are forbidden to spend the money on anything else. And on that note, if they hadn't proposed to buy the Zamboni, they would've never received the money for it in the first place. At no point does the government send a cheque for $18M and then tells the chief to go wild. The funds are actually very well controlled.

Now, having said all that, what's not clear to me is whether the community recognized ahead of time if they had a housing crisis or not. Also, even if they did, if the government did not consider building houses or apartments a "viable" project, they would never release funds or approve such a project to build houses. So if there was ever a mismanagement, then that would be it - the band should've proposed housing projects in the past.

Of course the flip side is, this community really should be abandoned if it's not economically viable but there's a whole lot of issues with that (i.e. being a reserve, etc...). Also, they complain that DeBeers comes on their land and rapes it dry. But instead of looking at it as a neg, it should've been the other way around. They should've worked there. But I don't have to repeat how these people feel about actually having to work (there was an article that showed the community had very little interest in working at the mine - no surprise there). But I'll reserve further judgment on that.
    Last edited by clem24; 12-09-2011 at 03:26 PM.
    You have a couple of photos that are great... you must be very good at photoshop!

My Ride
    something green

Then add on what De Beers has kicked in from the Diamond Lease... Interesting that De Beers was prevented from disclosing how much direct compensation they payed to the Reserve, not by their own choice but by the Reserve' Managements' choice
    Something is seriously wrong with the management here, and the "You don't understand our KUL-CHER" was played pretty quickly here.. It is really disappointing to have Atleo spewing the same old money Schtick to, so much for new choices for Aboriginals, guys like that are the problem, and they know it, they are just self serving.
    Too loud for Aspen

My Ride
    05 Civic

Originally posted by clem24
    Of course the flip side is, this community really should be abandoned if it's not economically viable but there's a whole lot of issues with that (i.e. being a reserve, etc...). Also, they complain that DeBeers comes on their land and rapes it dry. But instead of looking at it as a neg, it should've been the other way around. They should've worked there. But I don't have to repeat how these people feel about actually having to work (there was an article that showed the community had very little interest in working at the mine - no surprise there). But I'll reserve further judgment on that.
    In the video posted above, the guy mentions that DeBeers set aside $49m for "aboriginal spending", which I am assuming meant hiring, compensation, etc...

I have very little knowledge on this subject, but from the little I have read/watched, it appears that this money should have been going into building proper housing for the community, which it didnt. Now they are complaining that they government, who gave them the money in the first place, is sending in third parties to sort everything out. Sounds to me like the "chiefs" are getting a little nervous.

In regards to your last comment, is that really the mentality on reserves? Or just for this particular one? It really bugs me that they would think that way, just sit back and take the free money, not helping our country in a productive way. It will not end well if people continue to have that mentality.

Ill stop myself there before I go off on a tangent.
    Last edited by -relk-; 12-09-2011 at 03:36 PM.

My Ride
    something green

That would be next to impossible though, since the Native Population is far greater than it ever was historically trying to live in a much smaller land area, with animal populations that are nomadic still outside the reserve area.
    That has been one of the biggest technical issues of having reserves, these bands were actually a lot smaller at one time chasing animals over an entire continent, of which some of those animals no longer exist in the numbers they once did.
    Too loud for Aspen

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by Maxt
    That would be next to impossible though, since the Native Population is far greater than it ever was historically trying to live in a much smaller land area, with animal populations that are nomadic still outside the reserve area.
    That has been one of the biggest technical issues of having reserves, these bands were actually a lot smaller at one time chasing animals over an entire continent, of which some of those animals no longer exist in the numbers they once did.
    Living traditionally also means DIEING traditionally. If the area you can utilize becomes smaller, you don't continue to grow your population.

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

Originally posted by HiTempguy1

Living traditionally also means DIEING traditionally. If the area you can utilize becomes smaller, you don't continue to grow your population.
    What else do they have to do but take gov't money, sit in their hovels, and breed like rabbits? Not like they're working for a living..

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

My Ride
    something green

Originally posted by HiTempguy1

Which then you could argue that the reserve system has actually been better for them comparative to traditional living, larger population, longer life span, but comparative to us common working folk , worse. Which circles back to abandoning the whole reserve/indian act to make life better in a measurable sense.
    Too loud for Aspen

My Ride
    General Motors Competizione

I don't know enough about it, but I don't get how this happens. I mean, if my place went to shit, and the people looking after it wouldn't or couldn't fix it, I would just leave. I wouldn't say "we need help in Attawapiskat", I'd say "I need to get myself the fuck out of Attawapiskat". Why do they stay there?
    2007 GMC 2500 Duramax
    1981 GMC C1500 454

My Ride
    CRF 250L

Originally posted by SKR
    I don't know enough about it, but I don't get how this happens. I mean, if my place went to shit, and the people looking after it wouldn't or couldn't fix it, I would just leave. I wouldn't say "we need help in Attawapiskat", I'd say "I need to get myself the fuck out of Attawapiskat". Why do they stay there?
    ^^ I agree with this. GTFO.

From what I have read, the 90 MM figur Harper is using actually includes all of the municipal services, education AND housing for the entire community since 2006.

Imagine what it costs to run utilities and schools in the far north - it's a LOT. The same article I read claimed that only 1 million was left over for housing out of the 90 million total, and that no money has been actually set aside by the government for housing.

Now that being said - These people are getting free municipal services in the far north without paying taxes - Whos fault is it they don't have houses to live in? What the hell were they living in before this big 'housing crisis' magically appeared out of thin air?

If theres no houses there, then move. If you don't want to move then build one like everyone else. I think thats the message Harper is trying to give these people. They aren't just going to sit up there and freeze to death.

I was also under the impression that First Nations were not subject to government audits. I seem to remember the liberals trying to ram that through in the early 2000's and ALL of the bands in Canada threatened to blockade the Trans Canada Highway. - Cant find a link to this though...
    TRUTH: it's the new hate speech.
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act. - Orwell

Natives have been mismanaging money for as long as we've been giving it to them because it has no value to them, it's free, they don't earn it... It's extorted, not earned.

And Atttawapiskat is not in the far north, unless you consider Calgary is in the far north.

My Ride
    4x4

Dunno, I can see both sides of this...

90mil between 2800 "members" is 32,142$/member over 5 years... 6k/member/yr... That's about what the alberta government spends on healthcare per person - never mind anything else...

The cost of hauling anything in there is ridiculous, anything they buy up there is going to be 4-5x the cost of what we see... It's so damn isolated, the only business is the band council... What are they going to do - they'll never have a highway in/out, they probably don't have communication lines adequate to operate a call center or anything else (even if they had enough infrastructure to support that, town runs off diesel generators FFS).

Page 1 of 10 1 2 ... LastLast