Quantcast
Attawapiskat Crisis - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Attawapiskat Crisis

Originally posted by AndyL
    90mil between 2800 "members" is 32,142$/member over 5 years... 6k/member/yr... That's about what the alberta government spends on healthcare per person - never mind anything else...
    Health care funding is generated through taxes though, so really, we are sharing in the benefit of our labour & business. You put in, you take out, just as it should be.

The natives contribute very little (if anything) to that tax base. Reserves such as these are a black hole. That's why everyone is all up in arms about the situation... millions upon millions of dollars is being poured in with no end in sight and nothing is improving.

Places like these, where the population is completely dependent on government handouts and there is zero opportunity for economic development or self-sufficiency, should be shut down.

My Ride
    '11 Tundra TRD

I completely understand where they are coming from. They chose to live way the fuck up there, so they can retain their own lands, culture and all of that dying out bs. Then why dont they be happy without sewer, power, housing, tv and all that, that they did for the hundreds of years during the time that the culture they are preserving existed.
    Native culture is the most 2 faced bullshit possible, and I am allowed to blow on the non PC whistle, because I am native american.

There are thousands of issues like this all over the reserves and communities, and every time one comes up in the media there is a bunch of opinionated people on the internet that get to express their thoughts on the matter. Who the fuck cares. I wish I could bury my own people in the shit they've created for themselves.

Fuck, I think that the government of england should give me a fuck ton of money because the other half of my family is irish, I hear we got the shit oppressed out of us for a long time.

Hey black americans!! you should get free housing, your own little community to live in and everything, just because your ancestors were slaves and not treated equally.

Close the fucking topic

Agreed with the above.

Without gov't intervention (read: blank cheque) this community would not exist, at least not with the current population numbers. There is something fundamentally WRONG with that. It's a joke and highlights exactly how messed up the whole native situation in this country is.
    Originally posted by Arash Boodagh
    Before I start pwning all the members with my findings.
    Originally posted by Arash Boodagh
    Plus, is it true you can feed a pig elephant dong and it will still grow and build meat?
    Originally posted by Toma
    rx7_turbfoags best friend
    Toma the homophobe?

I think that there's something fundamentally wrong with a country like Canada that exists only due to land stolen from the native people of this country. Why don't all the white people just go back to Europe, that would solve everything. Natives got along just fine in this country before we showed up and started telling them to grow vegetables in rows and pay for things like insurance and cell phones.

If you don't want to hold up your end of the bargains you made two hundred years ago, the answer is simple - go the f-ck home.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Better listen to him guys, he's Irish. He knows all about people getting along.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

Originally posted by AndyL
    Dunno, I can see both sides of this...

90mil between 2800 "members" is 32,142$/member over 5 years... 6k/member/yr... That's about what the alberta government spends on healthcare per person - never mind anything else...

I saw on the news that it was $46M/year. Not 90M over 5...

[i]
    If you don't want to hold up your end of the bargains you made two hundred years ago, the answer is simple - go the f-ck home. [/B]
    Isn't Canada only 144 years old?
    Last edited by codetrap; 12-10-2011 at 01:03 PM.

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

Many of the treaties were signed by the British government well before "Canada" was formed as a country. Just because a new country was formed doesn't get the whiteys out of their treaty obligations. If that were the case, I'm pretty sure the natives would jump at the chance to get their land and mineral rights back.

I feel pity for a country that still has a Governor General (Queen's viceroy) as their head of state. I'm ashamed to be a Canadian. Nobody got a more raw deal than the native Canadian - and I mean nobody.

My Ride
    94 5.0 2004 FX4

Originally posted by Ryan Shawcross
    I think that there's something fundamentally wrong with a country like Canada that exists only due to land stolen from the native people of this country. Why don't all the white people just go back to Europe, that would solve everything. Natives got along just fine in this country before we showed up and started telling them to grow vegetables in rows and pay for things like insurance and cell phones.

If you don't want to hold up your end of the bargains you made two hundred years ago, the answer is simple - go the f-ck home.
    Yeah sounds logical.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the fact natives fill their childrens heads with hate for the white man and his culture yet seem to support the oldest part of our culture.... I'll give you a hint, starts with A.

My Ride
    Audi

You're right. We should honour the original contract to the letter:

His Majesty also agrees that next year, and annually afterwards for ever, He will cause to be paid to the said Indians in cash, at suitable places and dates, of which the said Indians shall be duly notified, four dollars, the same, unless there be some exceptional reason, to be paid only to the heads of families for those belonging thereto.
    http://www.aadnc-aandc.gc.ca/eng/1100100028863#chp1

I should note, I only got interested in this when people kept talking about the treaties/agreements and went looking for the original treaties themselves to see what Canada actually agreed to at that time.

Originally posted by hampstor

You're right. We should honour the original contract to the letter:

http://www.aadnc-aandc.gc.ca/eng/1100100028863#chp1
    Sounds great. Show me anywhere in any treaty where it says that the white man can extract oil from the Athabasca oil sands without approval from the natives. I'm pretty sure they'd take all that oil revenue over four dollars a year.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

They do receive oil and gas revenues, leases would never be in place without consent. They see hundreds of millions from individual companies, it is their responsibility to manage that money wisely.

As much as he is a bigoted mouthpiece, Ezra Levant is right. Nothing will change until everyone is treated equally as people. They scream about equal treatment, but when the money tap turns off to give them that equality, its racism.
    Last edited by FraserB; 12-10-2011 at 01:41 PM.

I'm talking ALL the oil and gas revenues, not some token amount to fob off the band leader. What's that you say? They won't have the resources to develop it themselves? Too bad. Let the oil sit in the earth. F the stealing white man.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Is just pennies.

http://www.shell.ca/home/content/can...nal_spend.html

They are governed under legal contracts drawn up by their ancestors, same as everyone in Canada. Both parties reached the treaties with the knowledge available at the time and they are still legally binding. If they want to tap into more of the money they are free to do what "the white man" does, get a job in O&G or start a business and take part. Being native should not entitle you to something more or something less. You cant complain about being treated unequally in one breath and then demand more money for nothing with the next.
    Last edited by FraserB; 12-10-2011 at 02:15 PM.

My Ride
    Audi

Sounds great. Show me anywhere in any treaty where it says that the white man can extract oil from the Athabasca oil sands without approval from the natives. I'm pretty sure they'd take all that oil revenue over four dollars a year.
    Isn't that what the treaties essential are about though? Allowing the 'white man' to do whatever they want with the rest of the land outside the reserves?

Don't get me wrong - like many people here, I used to believe that the fault was squarely on the First Nations.

Canada and the church has done so much damage to an entire generation of First Nations with miss-managed, miss-guided assimilation programs such as the residential schools. That damage will still likely be felt for generations to come. Our country basically created a large group that is now dependent on government to survive.

Throwing money at the problem at this stage isn't going to help them get back on their feet. It's probably going to be decades before Canada figures out how to fix the mess that was created well over a century ago.

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

I'm talking ALL the oil and gas revenues, not some token amount to fob off the band leader. What's that you say? They won't have the resources to develop it themselves? Too bad. Let the oil sit in the earth. F the stealing white man.
    Jesus.. ban this dipshit troll account already.

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

I'm ashamed to be a Canadian.
    Good for you
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

My Ride
    Horse

Originally posted by codetrap

Jesus.. ban this dipshit troll account already.

Ezra hit the nail on the head. That volume of money flowing into a community of that size is just insane.

Originally posted by hampstor
    Canada and the church has done so much damage to an entire generation of First Nations with miss-managed, miss-guided assimilation programs such as the residential schools. That damage will still likely be felt for generations to come. Our country basically created a large group that is now dependent on government to survive.

Throwing money at the problem at this stage isn't going to help them get back on their feet. It's probably going to be decades before Canada figures out how to fix the mess that was created well over a century ago.
    This is the part that always gets glossed over. The original treaties dealt with land rights. A lot of the current negotiations go above and beyond that to deal with all the shit the government did since those treaties were signed that fucked over the native population.

Until the last generation that was abused under government supervision (mostly under proxies like the church) has passed on, and likely until their children have mostly passed on, the government doesn't have a lot of leverage without opening a can of worms. It's hard to dole out "tough love" to people when the last time the government did that there was a lot of human rights violations, especially with people still alive that serve as examples.

My Ride
    2000 323i

I'd go back to Europe...if Germany and Russia paid me for their (much more recent) atrocities to my people, and I could slack off for the rest of my life.
    Mike

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast