Quantcast
DOG GOT ATTACKED! What can I do? - Page 5 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 4 5

Thread: DOG GOT ATTACKED! What can I do?

My Ride
    2006 Civic Si

Originally posted by shower

Why would you post this?
    What i'm trying to emphasize is that if TWO St. Bernard's wanted to "attack" your tiny dog, it wouldn't be walking away with just broken ribs and no scratches and no blood. Your dog would straight up be fucked up to the point where you would probably be burying it, and not be taking it to the vet.

I love how people on beyond just assume that there's nothing else to the OP's story. If I came on beyond saying 2 black guys stabbed me for no reason, half the community would believe me, and half would probably think there's more to it. And the real story could've been: I was wasted out of my fucking mind, fell onto these black guys, said some racial slurs and that I fucked their mom last night.

And the OP just created the account just to post his/her story about this? I know if I were in the OP's situation, the last place I would go to is a car enthusiast forum for information regarding my dog being attacked.
    Originally posted by King Banana

So confused, how do you get the other menu, is there like a secret chinese handshake, or do you need to bring in a jar of blood from a chinese daughter?
    I need like a how-to - order chinese food for white people.

Originally posted by lilmira
    Dogs are not stupid. They might play rough but a properly raised and socialized dog would know the limit. Six broken bones? That's no accident. I know how one would feel being a owner of a dog that bites, we all deny it and think that it's only rough play gone wrong. It happened to me too. My boy was raised by irresponsible people when he was a pup. He didn't know any manners at all. He bit a few times and I kept thinking that he only got excited and lost control. Now I know, he knew what he was doing and he bit on purpose. If you want to be a responsible owner, you need to understand why and stop it from happening. Dog biting is never accidental! A pet dog should not bite period!

I was lucky enough that my boy didn't cause any significant damage or injury to anyone. Bylaw officer actually came and talked to me about it too. I'm sure I would have to pay for the bill if it was bad enough and I would have no problem paying.
    We adopted a rescue who has the same issue, just wondering what you did to get your dog over that?
    You start with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

I took the boy to see the dog trainer I used before. She told me that it's beyond her expertise. She told me to try reactive class at Humane Society. Then I talked to the breeder as well and she recommended a dog behaviorist. She said that reactive class may not work since there will be a bunch of rowdy dogs usually. Without knowing what the root cause is, it can do more harm than good. So I got the behaviorist to come to my house and check out the boy. He did a bunch of stuff to see the reaction from the boy. He also brought along a dog to test my boy too. At the end, he figured that the boy is just snobby, he bites to get his way and it's been working for him. Biting doesn't just happen out of the blue, there are always some precursors that you can notice. Biting is in the red zone at the top and as long as you can catch the dog from escalating, you can prevent it. Loud noises seem to do the trick for my boy. It has been working well ever since. He also reminded me that since he has bitten before, it will be in his memory forever, he'll likely bite again if he gets to the red zone.

He's a bit expensive, minimum 2 hours visit for ~250. Everything he told me about my boy makes sense and it works. His name is JC ST Louis and his number is 403-226-0769.

Originally posted by GQNammer

What i'm trying to emphasize is that if TWO St. Bernard's wanted to "attack" your tiny dog, it wouldn't be walking away with just broken ribs and no scratches and no blood. Your dog would straight up be fucked up to the point where you would probably be burying it, and not be taking it to the vet.

I love how people on beyond just assume that there's nothing else to the OP's story. If I came on beyond saying 2 black guys stabbed me for no reason, half the community would believe me, and half would probably think there's more to it. And the real story could've been: I was wasted out of my fucking mind, fell onto these black guys, said some racial slurs and that I fucked their mom last night.

And the OP just created the account just to post his/her story about this? I know if I were in the OP's situation, the last place I would go to is a car enthusiast forum for information regarding my dog being attacked.
    OR you were dressed like a slut and was begging to get raped! and you said, no stop & don't, and they said DAaaaam!

He's a bit expensive, minimum 2 hours visit for ~250. Everything he told me about my boy makes sense and it works. His name is JC ST Louis and his number is 403-226-0769.
    Holy crap! 250 for 2 hours!
    Go watch 'The Dog Whisperer"- Cesar Millan
    He teaches people how to properly train their dogs, and how to rehabilitate adopted dogs.

My Ride
    growls

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Offroad
    [B][QUOTE]Originally posted by Squishy
    To the people saying pick up your small dog when a big dog is approaching or trying to play with them.. This is actually one of the worst things you could do because the bigger dog could jump on you and potentially injure you instead or as well as your dog. A dog park is a dog park.. While there are risks, it's like saying don't bring your kid to the park because the bigger kids might hurt them.

Really so just leave my dog on the ground ?......sounds kinda chicken shit to me, i've been around dogs for over 40 years now and havn't found one i cant physically handle including killing a doberman that went for my throat when the dumb ass owner thought it was funny to say "get him boy". But anyways when i'm at the dog park i'm always watching my dog and others and pick mine up long before the larger dog fixates on mine, its proactive and even if i did get jumped on i'd deal with it to protect my dog .....and same with my kid at the play ground.

Its like driving in this crazy city you always have to watch out for the other guy.....in this case that would be the woman with the st bernards. Im sorry the yorkie got hurt and wish speedy recovery but it should have been scooped up long before those dogs got right on it like they did.
    Easy!! I'm just saying, for some people it wouldn't be ideal to pick up the dog.
    I have three little dogs myself and me being a girl and 5'3" I would certainly want to do everything in my power to protect them but that being said the dog would probably be bigger than me haha. I've had a dog jump on me before for trying to pick up my dog, and the owner had it on a leash so can you imagine a vicious dog without a leash? I also use to own a Doberman haha. The last time my smallest dog tried playing with a labradoodle (sp?) in my back yard she got stepped on and started snarling because she got scared.. It was actually kind of funny because the bigger guy wasn't trying to hurt her, she just accidentally ended up under him.

Yea do not in any circumstance pick up your dog when another is approaching. Not only can the other dog attack you in the process but your own dog will get super protective and it will escalate the situation. I find a quick yell at the approaching dog will usually halt their approach and at the very least get the owner over. Last resort a quick kick to the approaching dogs chest or behind depending on how they are approaching (ie straight on vs circling) will get the message across and unless you really wind up you arent going to hurt the dog.

My Ride
    B5 S4, UrQ, UZJ100, 990 SMR

Originally posted by Offroad
    i've been around dogs for over 40 years now and havn't found one i cant physically handle including killing a doberman that went for my throat when the dumb ass owner thought it was funny to say "get him boy"
    Do tell more
    Originally posted by InRich
    tell her I'll pick her up in the vette
    Originally posted by InRich
    The X5 i bought earlier this year really is FULLY LOADED though not a single option missing including infrared night driving

I took the boy to see the dog trainer I used before. She told me that it's beyond her expertise. She told me to try reactive class at Humane Society. Then I talked to the breeder as well and she recommended a dog behaviorist. She said that reactive class may not work since there will be a bunch of rowdy dogs usually. Without knowing what the root cause is, it can do more harm than good. So I got the behaviorist to come to my house and check out the boy. He did a bunch of stuff to see the reaction from the boy. He also brought along a dog to test my boy too. At the end, he figured that the boy is just snobby, he bites to get his way and it's been working for him. Biting doesn't just happen out of the blue, there are always some precursors that you can notice. Biting is in the red zone at the top and as long as you can catch the dog from escalating, you can prevent it. Loud noises seem to do the trick for my boy. It has been working well ever since. He also reminded me that since he has bitten before, it will be in his memory forever, he'll likely bite again if he gets to the red zone.

Thanks for the reply. We have tried JC before, and while he did help with some of the minor issues he continues to be overly aggressive towards other dogs. I'm glad he worked for you but I couldn't justify going back to him for another 250 as in the end the value wasn't there.

Originally posted by tangj

Holy crap! 250 for 2 hours!
    Go watch 'The Dog Whisperer"- Cesar Millan
    He teaches people how to properly train their dogs, and how to rehabilitate adopted dogs.
    Watching some tv show and trying to take their methods and apply it in real life isn't as easy at it sounds.

250 may be a lot of money but if a dog has aggression issues I would hope the owner would do whatever is required to deal with it.
    You start with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

Sounds like you have a tough cookie. My boy still gets excited from time to time but at least I can get his attention now. So nothing can make your dog snap out of it? Well good luck, it's nice that you are not giving up on the guy.

Cesar Millan is definitely good with dogs. It might seem obvious of what he does after he explains it but it's not easy to do it on your own. For something serious like biting, I need to stop it or I have to give up on the dog, there's no way around it.

Hope Mojo recovers quickly! You never want to see your pet hurt or in pain. Those bills add up fast too, I'm surprised it was only $1000. I just lost my 4y/o golden retriever to cancer after spending $10k on vet bills.

With that being said, I, too, would never take a small dog like that to a dog park. Too many poorly trained dogs out there and too many big dogs that could unintentionally hurt a small dog.

and HOLY SHIT, I read this about Tibetan Mastiff's on wiki:
    Newspaper reports have suggested that a pair of these Mastiffs have killed tigers while guarding sheep in the highlands of Nepal.
    No source, so might not even be true, but the thought of that is pretty crazy
    Last edited by Impreza; 12-13-2011 at 12:28 PM.

My Ride
    '11 Tundra TRD

Just as a friendly reminder since we're all on the dog defense topic.
    Never stick your hand in between two dogs.
    See picture of my finger last year for reference, still have no feeling in the upper portion, but have full movement.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 4 5