Quantcast
80's love? - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: 80's love?

My Ride
    K-car

Originally posted by masoncgy

I believe it, given the one I had I purchased from a lady who was 90... lol...

Like I said, slower than all hell, but it was the coolest car I ever owned. It's the one I wish I didn't let slip away. They are virtually extinct now.

They also make an amazing sleeper with a few modifications...
    My Great Uncle had a Zephyr wagon, woodgrain sides and it had a 302 or other small V8. I remember driving it when i was about 14, it had the horn switch on the signal lever iirc. You're right about being rare, you NEVER see those cars anymore.

My Ride
    Hondas

Originally posted by TaiChino

'88 Civic FTW!! My first too!!!
    89 actually, its what my username signifies. 89 si.

Originally posted by corsvette

My Great Uncle had a Zephyr wagon, woodgrain sides and it had a 302 or other small V8. I remember driving it when i was about 14, it had the horn switch on the signal lever iirc. You're right about being rare, you NEVER see those cars anymore.
    Hey we had one of those. I didnt even remember we had it until you posted this.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

My Zephyr had the horn on the turn signal too... I believe that was pretty standard in most Ford/Mercury vehicles of the 1978-1982/3 vintage.

My Ride
    2000 BMW 540i/6-spd & 2008 Triumph Street Triple

My parents had a 1975 Ford Gran Torino woody wagon when I was really young. That thing was like a cruise ship inside! Had a 460 V8 (7.5L), 8-track tape deck, fake brown leather and a double jump seat in the back that folded into the floor! It was great for long trips!
    Last edited by GT4rally; 12-13-2011 at 09:12 PM.

Although I agree that they were slower than hell, I have always liked the 79-86 Fox body Mustang coupes, those are my favorite cars of the 80s, no question. I owned two of them as a teenager, an 83 GLX 5.0L coupe and then an 80 4 cyl coupe that received a 5.0L swap. Easiest cars in the world to work on.

One car that holds a special place in my heart... my old 1981 Mercury Zephyr Z7 coupe... the one car I wish I never would have let go. Slow... painfully slow... even with the 5.0L... but it was the most unique ride I ever had. It was also ultra rare, given the fact it had a factory moonroof, A/C, power windows, console, etc... lots of features reserved for only the most premium of Zephyrs... lol...

I don't even have a picture of it, but it was sort of like this one:

My first car I bought in 1987 was a 1978 Mercury Zephyr coupe... Loved that car! lol!

My Ride
    K-car

Lotsa love here for the Zephyr! lol

Originally posted by Guillermo

This. i tried to say this earlier in the thread but was flamed and even accused of being 30 years old and living in my parents basement. I am not a fan of 80s vehicles, or the 80s in general. I did not like the big boxy car designs of the era, and as mentioned above the technology in those cars is so archaic relative to today's vehicles. Not to mention that it was a decade of arrogance, excess, and "family values," and that is clearly reflected in the car designs too.

The 80s have recently become "cool" among kids born in the late 80s or 90s, because they didn't really live it and thus think it's neat and retro - that's why i made my remark about that above.

I don't like most cars from the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, 00s and I likely won't like most of them from the 10s. That's because most cars are boring and unexceptional. However, every decade has had its share of great cars that stood above the rest for whatever reason be it styling, technology, performance, outlandishness, whatever. The point of threads like this is to showcase the exceptional, not bitch about how cars now are technologically superior (duh?), or how most cars of the time were stylistically challenged, or how the only reason to like 80s cars is because they're "retro."

The great cars of the 80s shaped the great cars of the 90s. Audi, Porsche, Mercedes all started selling their cars with AWD systems in the 80s. Porsche and Ferrari began using carbon kevlar in the 959/F40. Sequential turbocharging as used on the mk4 supra and FD3S? First seen on a street car in the 80s. 1980s also saw the mass adoption of ABS and EFI. In short, the cars we enjoy today wouldn't have been possible without the greats of the 80s. That's looking at it from a technological standpoint, I don't feel like writing another paragraph about influential styling or incredible motorsports from the 80s.

However, you have time and time again demonstrated a startling inability to grasp concepts and ideas that are apparent to average human beings, so I will lay this out in point form for you.

- most cars from all decades suck, even now
    - there were exceptional cars in the 80s
    - this thread was made with the intent of sharing the high points of what many people view as a dull decade in automotive history
    - NOBODY cares if you didn't like cars from the 80s
    - stop posting like a troll or you will likely get banned again
    Last edited by 962 kid; 12-14-2011 at 02:58 AM.

My Ride
    Brick Type R, SC AW11, Alcyone

Originally posted by jsn
    certain 80s cars will have a special place in my heart. I still regret selling my old mr2. I love those flip up lights.
    I love my AW11s!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    omgwtfbbq

My Ride
    CNG Injected

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

charger formerly owned by myself and boostinfested's brother
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

My Ride
    Volvo S60 & Jeep GC

Originally posted by 962 kid

I don't like most cars from the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, 00s and I likely won't like most of them from the 10s. That's because most cars are boring and unexceptional. However, every decade has had its share of great cars that stood above the rest for whatever reason be it styling, technology, performance, outlandishness, whatever. The point of threads like this is to showcase the exceptional, not bitch about how cars now are technologically superior (duh?), or how most cars of the time were stylistically challenged, or how the only reason to like 80s cars is because they're "retro."

The great cars of the 80s shaped the great cars of the 90s. Audi, Porsche, Mercedes all started selling their cars with AWD systems in the 80s. Porsche and Ferrari began using carbon kevlar in the 959/F40. Sequential turbocharging as used on the mk4 supra and FD3S? First seen on a street car in the 80s. 1980s also saw the mass adoption of ABS and EFI. In short, the cars we enjoy today wouldn't have been possible without the greats of the 80s. That's looking at it from a technological standpoint, I don't feel like writing another paragraph about influential styling or incredible motorsports from the 80s.

However, you have time and time again demonstrated a startling inability to grasp concepts and ideas that are apparent to average human beings, so I will lay this out in point form for you.

- most cars from all decades suck, even now
    - there were exceptional cars in the 80s
    - this thread was made with the intent of sharing the high points of what many people view as a dull decade in automotive history
    - NOBODY cares if you didn't like cars from the 80s
    - stop posting like a troll or you will likely get banned again
    Couldn't have said it better myself. I love 80's cars because they are the crossover between cars you drive and cars that drive you. The end of the carburetor meant the end of the average guy working on his own car and took a lot of the personal care that vehicles needed away.

Myself its Toyotas from the 80's, back when their trucks were a step above and their cars were still RWD, I love my corollas and cant think of any newer cars that are as desirable to me.

Originally posted by finboy

charger formerly owned by myself and boostinfested's brother
    Nice! I very briefly owned an '84 Shelby Charger a number of years ago, though it had the other paint scheme... was silver with blue stripe & accents.

Sadly, it was only equipped with the high output 2.2L as the turbo engine wasn't added until the 1985 model year, so definitely not a quick car!

The engine ran like a top. The 5-speed was the typical bulky & clunky gearbox that equipped basically all of the Chrysler vehicles at the time... unrefined slushbox!

Mine was like this one:

My Ride
    2011 Mustang GT

I'm still impressed with my 87' Jaguar. The thing still looks good, and came with all the creature comforts that cars still come with today! Everything was powered in that car. Even when you lock to doors, it will roll up the windows and close the sunroof for you! I totally wish i had that on my car from 2009! Sorry... got a bit excited there.

Beyond's Most Wanted

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

Nice! I very briefly owned an '84 Shelby Charger a number of years ago, though it had the other paint scheme... was silver with blue stripe & accents.

Sadly, it was only equipped with the high output 2.2L as the turbo engine wasn't added until the 1985 model year, so definitely not a quick car!

The engine ran like a top. The 5-speed was the typical bulky & clunky gearbox that equipped basically all of the Chrysler vehicles at the time... unrefined slushbox!

Mine was like this one:
    The a525 transmission was crap, mine was upgraded to the a523 that could handle 350 plus ft lbs of torque to the wheels

Mine was a mostly stock tii set up, still miss it

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

^^^ From the advertisement;

"...Further proof that Dodge's 2.2 Liter engine is destined to become a legend..."
    It's a legend all right. Legendary for keeping mechanics busy. If if wasn't for the engine's hunger for head gaskets I would have had much more fonder memories of my old 1985 Daytona Turbo Z. It was a fun car when it was running.
    Last edited by heavyD; 12-14-2011 at 12:57 PM.

lol... another 80s car I had at one point in time... my was an '84 Chrysler Laser XE... was the same car as the Daytona, only 'more luxurious' .... was junk!

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

Originally posted by heavyD
    ^^^ From the advertisement;

It's a legend all right. Legendary for keeping mechanics busy. If if wasn't for the engine's hunger for head gaskets I would have had much more fonder memories of my old 1985 Daytona Turbo Z. It was a fun car when it was running.
    the mopar performance head gasket solved any issues with it, i know guys who REUSED the things 9 or 10 times with 25+psi from a holset turbo w/o blowing it.

great motors, not so great designed head though, 8v non cross flow for the lose

My Ride
    Hondas

lol... another 80s car I had at one point in time... my was an '84 Chrysler Laser XE... was the same car as the Daytona, only 'more luxurious' .... was junk!
    lol did it have the full digital dash?

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast