Quantcast
80's love? - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: 80's love?

Originally posted by GT4rally
    Wow, you guys have no idea how lucky you are with all the great cars available now!

I was a teenager in the mid '80's and I can tell you that most cars, with a few exceptions (Porsche, Audi, BMW, Mercedes, some Japanese), were absolute garbage! Fox body mustangs were ugly as sin, archaic under the skin and painfully slow compared to a modern minivan! 200hp from a V8 muscle car... seriously! Don't get me started on the drum brakes! My Dad had a 1981 Chev Blazer with a 305 V8 that produced an astounding 105hp! What?

I'll admit that I really liked the lines of the IROC, but it was an absolute pig to drive--talk about cowl shake! Not Acceptable in any decade!

Have you ever sat in a mid-eighties Cadillac? Nothing says we don't give a shit about the customer more than a 1980's car interior (most were leftover designs from the 70's).

I still shake my head when I see a late '80s (even early 90s) Chrysler sedan, or a first gen FWD GM boat with 14" wire wheels and cheap chrome trim--they really needed to pull their collective heads out of their asses... quickly! I remember being quite disgusted with the complete lack of effort from the big car companies at the time.

You can point out that the Germans and the Japanese were making some decent cars back then, but 90% of the cars on Calgary streets were domestic. You would be lucky to see 2 , maybe 3 BMW's on your commute downtown--forget about Porsches, or any other semi-exotic. You really didn't see the huge variety we enjoy now. Although, Volvo an Mercedes were not uncommon.

I lived in Varsity Estates growing up, and in the early 80's there were 2 BMW's in the neighborhood, one Audi and NO Porsches. To this day, I can recall the exact driveways they were parked on... go count how many there are on Varsity Estates streets now! Ad to that, most people really didn't know what a BMW or an Audi was... just some strange German novelty cars!

The 80's weren't quite as bad as the 70's (especially the Detroit trash), since most were converting to fuel injection and electronic ignition, but there were very limited choices available compared to the present day.

Right now is a great time to be a car enthusiast guys... so don't long for something just cause it's old. The 80's was shit for a car guy!
    This. i tried to say this earlier in the thread but was flamed and even accused of being 30 years old and living in my parents basement. I am not a fan of 80s vehicles, or the 80s in general. I did not like the big boxy car designs of the era, and as mentioned above the technology in those cars is so archaic relative to today's vehicles. Not to mention that it was a decade of arrogance, excess, and "family values," and that is clearly reflected in the car designs too.

The 80s have recently become "cool" among kids born in the late 80s or 90s, because they didn't really live it and thus think it's neat and retro - that's why i made my remark about that above.

One design that I like from the 80s though is this (forerunner of modern AWD and crossovers, which is neat IMO):
    click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

My Ride
    Hondas

My first love

A bit more sexy example...

And it's been mentioned in the thread already, but I have a soft spot for the 86.5-92 supras

Last edited by 89s1; 12-11-2011 at 11:47 AM.

Although I agree that they were slower than hell, I have always liked the 79-86 Fox body Mustang coupes, those are my favorite cars of the 80s, no question. I owned two of them as a teenager, an 83 GLX 5.0L coupe and then an 80 4 cyl coupe that received a 5.0L swap. Easiest cars in the world to work on.

One car that holds a special place in my heart... my old 1981 Mercury Zephyr Z7 coupe... the one car I wish I never would have let go. Slow... painfully slow... even with the 5.0L... but it was the most unique ride I ever had. It was also ultra rare, given the fact it had a factory moonroof, A/C, power windows, console, etc... lots of features reserved for only the most premium of Zephyrs... lol...

I don't even have a picture of it, but it was sort of like this one:

Last edited by masoncgy; 12-11-2011 at 11:40 AM.

My Ride
    12' Civic, 88' Prelude, 02' F350

Originally posted by Cos
    My uncle has an 87' in B.C. with less than 7k on the clock.
    There is also one for sale on our local kijiji....didnt have a chance to look at it...but it was listed at 4,000 and it was an 85' (even rarer, since only 2000ish made).

My favorite would have to be....

My Ride
    4x4

about the only subaru I'd still ever see the point in owning...

Yeah 79 - but close enough... it's so fucking 80s...

Ooops i forgot the most important part... it was the cool car... right up until...

Anyone remember that red/yellow brat, done up with a roll bar, recaros in the back, pre-runner bumper... Wonder what ever happened to that one - it was friggin awesome...
    Last edited by AndyL; 12-11-2011 at 12:47 PM.

My Ride
    Depends on the day

Don't forget the Omni GLH (Goes Like Hell)

I love the look of the 87-93 Mustangs and actually owned a 91 LX with a GT kit when I was 16. Eventually, I'd love to buy a '93 GT convertible like the one pictured below. Just because I love the look of them. Thinking back and driving other cars... it was probably the worst drive-able car and I'm comparing it to other cars of the same year. Bad blind spots, shitty seats, bad handling, turning radius was like a bus. But would want one for my collection.

Originally posted by DonJuan
    ^ but the Countach was designed in the 70's and was built in late 70's
    It's original design was made in the 70's but it kept changing all the way up until '90 when the Diablo was released

Originally posted by Guillermo
    [B]

This. i tried to say this earlier in the thread but was flamed and even accused of being 30 years old and living in my parents basement. I am not a fan of 80s vehicles, or the 80s in general. I did not like the big boxy car designs of the era, and as mentioned above the technology in those cars is so archaic relative to today's vehicles. Not to mention that it was a decade of arrogance, excess, and "family values," and that is clearly reflected in the car designs too,
    Once again, you've missed the obvious.

This thread is simply reminiscent of cars that some of us "grew up with".

There's nothing here to fight your secret war.

My Ride
    Horse

Originally posted by kvg
    Don't forget the Omni GLH (Goes Like Hell)

Did you try and post this?

My Ride
    06 Focus ZX5, 97 Skyline R33

Yep, love me some 80s cars.

Late 70s, but close enough. It was produced through the 80s.

My Ride
    49cc Honda bicycle/89 Accord SE-i/59 Impala/93shaq

ya ya

My Ride
    2000 BMW 540i/6-spd & 2008 Triumph Street Triple

Originally posted by masoncgy
    One car that holds a special place in my heart... my old 1981 Mercury Zephyr Z7 coupe... the one car I wish I never would have let go. Slow... painfully slow... even with the 5.0L... but it was the most unique ride I ever had. It was also ultra rare, given the fact it had a factory moonroof, A/C, power windows, console, etc... lots of features reserved for only the most premium of Zephyrs... lol...
    Haha! My grandma drove one of these... no joke!

My civic's kinda 80's....

You could say that again. Booze just kept flowing. We walked home (tried to plow at that elgin monument hill park thing) haha...too cold, but that explains the night.
    -WH

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-08-2019 at 12:48 PM.

Originally posted by 89s1
    My first love

A bit more sexy example...

And it's been mentioned in the thread already, but I have a soft spot for the 86.5-92 supras

'88 Civic FTW!! My first too!!!
    When lazy let idle.

My Ride
    Edge Sport, F-150 EcoBoost

I do not miss the vehicle our family had in the 80's.

freshprince
    -Jan 2006-

My Ride
    2000 BMW 540i/6-spd & 2008 Triumph Street Triple

Ok, I'll play... My '88 Celica Alltrac!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Originally posted by GT4rally
    Haha! My grandma drove one of these... no joke!
    I believe it, given the one I had I purchased from a lady who was 90... lol...

Like I said, slower than all hell, but it was the coolest car I ever owned. It's the one I wish I didn't let slip away. They are virtually extinct now.

They also make an amazing sleeper with a few modifications...

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast