Quantcast
Furniture store recommendations - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Furniture store recommendations

My Ride
    300 Limited

Default Furniture store recommendations

I'm looking to buy a couple couches or possibly a sectional for the basement. I've looked around at LaZBoy, Brick, Ashley, but have found all but LaZBoy to be sub par in build quality and workmanship. Anyone have suggestions for other places to look at?
    Also, how durable are LaZBoy products, does anyone have any experience with them? They seem to be fairly pricey compared to the others I've mentioned. How much room for negotiation (% wise) is there on this sort of furniture?
    Thanks.
    It's nice to be important but it's more important to be nice.

My Ride
    12' Civic, 88' Prelude, 02' F350

You could try Crossroads Furniture.

My Ride
    F30

Furniture has a HUGE markup, if you are looking for solid build quality you would be better off going to Ashley or LaZboy maybe even urban barn, if your looking to get cheaper furniture at good prices then maybe something like crossroads or best buy furniture.
    Originally posted by Ven
    If you find a chic the there with a stick shift don't be alarmed. It's just the performance model, go ahead and ride it like you stole it.

Default Re: Furniture store recommendations

Originally posted by Palmiros
    I'm looking to buy a couple couches or possibly a sectional for the basement. I've looked around at LaZBoy, Brick, Ashley, but have found all but LaZBoy to be sub par in build quality and workmanship. Anyone have suggestions for other places to look at?
    Also, how durable are LaZBoy products, does anyone have any experience with them? They seem to be fairly pricey compared to the others I've mentioned. How much room for negotiation (% wise) is there on this sort of furniture?
    Thanks.

Most of my stuff is from La-Z-Boy and I've owned Palliser (which is Ashely), Natuzzi and your generic crap from the Brick (though it shows nice in the showroom).

La-Z-Boy sits better, the multi-density foam and 8 way hand tied suspension is lasting longer and provides better posture. The seams are better, there are more and durable fabric options for all various models. The frames are made of better kylm dried hardwoods, the leather is better... the recliner mechansim is superior... I could keep going on
    Last edited by r3ccOs; 12-11-2011 at 08:38 AM.

My Ride
    300 Limited

r3ccOs, you definitely misread my post. Woosh. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt though, its 7am on a Sunday morning.

r3ccOs, you definitely misread my post. Woosh. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt though, its 7am on a Sunday morning.
    ah you're right!

well you made an astute statement, I just glanced too fast!

I also own a nice sectional by bassett furniture, I bought from La Z Boy who had it on sale during boxing day last year. Its almost as good as a La Z Boy and apparently was either an overstock or insurance situation that La Z Boy had managed to get a whole pile of stock, and would provide their gaurantee's as they belive it to be as well made.

I belive that you can get Bassett from Alberta Home Furnishing and Sklar
    Last edited by r3ccOs; 12-11-2011 at 08:41 AM.

My Ride
    300 Limited

Sounds good, thanks for your input. I'll have a look at the places you suggested once I get back in town next week. Did you do any negotiating on your LaZBoy purchases?

Go see Stef at the Deerfoot Meadows Urban Barn. Urban Barn stuff is really good and she has helped a lot of beyonders pick good stuff out.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

My Ride
    '10 Civic

I walked into lazy boy and pretended to be interested and the lady offered me 10% off on the already sale prices. I wouldn't be surprised if you could haggle to 15% off of sale items!

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Default Re: Furniture store recommendations

Anyone have suggestions for other places to look at?
    No, but I suggest NOT going to Bondars, or buying Natuzzi Editions. We bought a sectional there, and were told Natuzzi Editions was genuine Italian. One of our pieces was 1" height different than the other 4 . We got a replacement piece that took 7 months to get, and it was 3/4" height difference

Then we find out the leather is genuine Natuzzi Italian, but the frame is Chinese built/assembled, and they refuse to replace our new piece because "less than one inch is within factory standard". Neither Bondar's, nor Natuzzi helped us at all after that.

Do you know how fucking awkward a 3/4" height difference is on a middle piece of a sectional?
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    Depends on the day

Lazy boy, Ashley, Leons, Urban Barn, etc are all the same quality for the most part. If you would like better quality go to McArthur, Sandlewood, and Eisenbergs.

My Ride
    Depends on the day

Default Re: Re: Furniture store recommendations

Originally posted by Tik-Tok

No, but I suggest NOT going to Bondars, or buying Natuzzi Editions. We bought a sectional there, and were told Natuzzi Editions was genuine Italian. One of our pieces was 1" height different than the other 4 . We got a replacement piece that took 7 months to get, and it was 3/4" height difference

Then we find out the leather is genuine Natuzzi Italian, but the frame is Chinese built/assembled, and they refuse to replace our new piece because "less than one inch is within factory standard". Neither Bondar's, nor Natuzzi helped us at all after that.

Do you know how fucking awkward a 3/4" height difference is on a middle piece of a sectional?

Natuzzi is decent for the most part, but I had a set and replaced in within 3yrs due to the Pirelli webbing used in place of springs being defective.

Originally posted by kvg
    Lazy boy, Ashley, Leons, Urban Barn, etc are all the same quality for the most part. If you would like better quality go to McArthur, Sandlewood, and Eisenbergs.
    Ashely's and Leon's are not even close...
    its like this analogy: Calgary BMW, Tower Chrystler, Gallery of Fine Cars, Cam Clark Ford
    yea, all the same

Urban Barn isn't there neither, most of their stuff is made in China, though if you want solid wood pieces, again made in china... its a great value comparitively to domestically made stuff. (i.e. tables, dressers, stools, etc..)

Ashely's is definately not... Palliser stuff isn't as good as La Z Boy, and they also make EQ3 as well...

For couches, I don't know if you can really find that much better than La Z Boy honestly... You can get alost more custom stuff at places such as Ethan Allen, where we got our dinning set made, but I am not certain you'll gain any better quality out of the product.

I do like Bondars and Home Evolution... but again its all subject to the manufacturer you choose.
    I bought a good chunk of my bedroom and spare from Brownstone furnature, that Bondar's gave me a very good deal on, as well as some more pieces from villegois.
    Last edited by r3ccOs; 12-11-2011 at 12:56 PM.

At urban barn I guess there are three stef's. I you want stef a.
    Last edited by Cos; 12-11-2011 at 04:38 PM.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

My Ride
    Depends on the day

Originally posted by r3ccOs

Ashely's and Leon's are not even close...
    its like this analogy: Calgary BMW, Tower Chrystler, Gallery of Fine Cars, Cam Clark Ford
    yea, all the same

I hate to disappoint, but with 12yrs industry experience and having friends at all said stores except urban barn you are incorrect. P.S. I know a retired gentleman that owned a lazy boy franchise, and an old manager of Ashleys and Lazy boy. They are good stores but not noticeably better.
    Last edited by kvg; 12-11-2011 at 01:25 PM.

Default Re: Re: Furniture store recommendations

Originally posted by r3ccOs
    Most of my stuff is from La-Z-Boy and I've owned Palliser (which is Ashely), Natuzzi and your generic crap from the Brick (though it shows nice in the showroom)
    Sorry to necro a thread... I was brought here by Google and can't let this questionable information stand.

I can't find any evidence that Palliser is the same as Ashley and EQ3. As far as I can tell, Palliser is based out of Winnipeg. Not really sure what the obsession is with La Z Boy... Even at double the price I found Palliser to be equivalent if not slightly better. I have also read that La Z Boy furniture uses cardboard and staples in their construction.

I've bought a few items from Sojurn in Calgary over the last year or so (http://www.sojournhome.com/). So far they have been pretty good. Free delivery within Calgary too!

My Ride
    2015 IS350 F Sport

Research your purchase on line first. Find a manufacturer you like and first see if they will do a factory direct purchase. If not then see who their retailers are. Most of what you buy in Calgary's retail market is the same regurgitated stuff. If you want something a bit different and of good quality try one of these:

http://www.loewensteininc.com/products/lounge

http://www.bernhardtdesign.com/produ...nge/index.html

http://www.dwr.com/category/living/sofas.do?nType=2

http://www.keilhauer.com/home.html

http://www.nienkamper.com/category.aspx?cate=7

http://www.palazzetti.com/
    "if you disagree with my views are cannot adequately my criticism then ignore my posts." - Nusc

My Ride
    WRX, Audi A4 Avant

what's your budget? there's a lot of nice furniture stores along 10ave sw. i bought my set at roche bobois, nice furniture, great customer service, free delivery too

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Pretty sure he already bought his furniture... 2 years ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast