Quantcast
My challenge to Beyond members - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: My challenge to Beyond members

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Default My challenge to Beyond members

Hi guys,

We're getting close to Christmas, and for many people this means a heightened sense of giving and kind will for others. However, besides giving gifts to loved ones, many don't really go above and beyond... even during the holidays.

Last night a friend of mine provided an opportunity for my wife and I to help out feeding the homeless. And let me tell you - I'm so glad I went. The individual coordinating the whole thing was totally uptight and stressed - which made it all the more amusing.

This was a totally heartwarming experience and we intend to do it at least quarterly now. It is so easy to view the homeless as "those people", but spending time with them and helping them out teaches you so much. The sincere thanks you get (from some), and the act of giving while getting absolutely nothing in return cannot be described in words.

So anyway, my challenge to each and every one of you reading this is to do something that is outside your normal comfort zone for the needy. This doesn't have to mean feeding the homeless... it can even be something as simply as shovelling your old neighbor's driveway for her. It could be donating $10 to the Salvation Army if you've never done so before. But personally, I really like doing what I did last night because you are able to help so many people in a fairly short timeframe and you're up close and personal with the individuals you're helping.

And if you feel comfortable, feel free to share what you did and your experience here, so perhaps that will both encourage others to participate in good will, and might even give some people ideas on how to help out.
    Last edited by Kloubek; 12-12-2011 at 11:02 AM.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Excellent Idea, The Mustard Seed, Inn from the cold, and the Drop In Centre are all places where you can volunteer for that kind of activity.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My family has been involved in the Stephen's Backpacks Society for a few years now and it's a fantastic experience, especially for my children. This year we will actually be handing out the backpacks on Christmas Eve which I am really looking forward to.

Great post Kloubek.

My Ride
    D40/ED9/R6

Some broke asshole helped himself to my GPS and a pair of shoes in my trunk last night, you're welcome!
    "Anarchism is not a romantic fable but the hardheaded realization, based on five thousand years of experience, that we cannot entrust the management of our lives to kings, priests, politicians, generals, and county commissioners."

My Ride
    17 Civic HB Sport

Originally posted by Modelexis
    Some broke asshole helped himself to my GPS and a pair of shoes in my trunk last night, you're welcome!
    Shocking...that is so not like you to respond in such a manner.

What kind of birdhouse can you build with popsicles, roofies, and a rubber mallet?
    "It's for a rare African bird called "none your business."
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    If you were straight I'd eat you like a BLT sandwich with extra Bacon. And I fucking LOVE bacon.

Giving blood on friday
    Its not only about money. Its about freedom, friends and family too.

My Ride
    M3P

Volunteered Christmas eve at the mustard seed last year, and going to be feeding peeps on Christmas Eve this year.

Honestly, I don't like doing it, but it's nice to pay it forward sometimes.

Helping people is good and all...but I suggest you help people that deserve it.

Most of these people put themselves in this situation through drugs or alcohol which I refuse to even
    show compassion for a person like this.

Why don't you help out people that deserve it...like at the Ronald Mcdonald House? The homeless shelter is nothing but a government handout to lazy ass people who don't deserve it

No offense to anyone, but it seems to me that most "homeless" people are homeless due to their own choices.

Ya I know, I know, "they have addictions", but that doesn't negate my point.

Before you think I'm some heartless prick, I DO donate to those that have no choice; IE charities for kids.

My Ride
    changes every year

when i was a kid, i was super poor. when i was 14 years old, my mom must have signed us up for some christmas donation thing, i dont know what it was but i got a sweet ass pair of Nikes.

when i went to school after christmas wearing them like a boss, one of the kids there said in front of everyone "i recognize those shoes, my mom donated them to a poor family, you must be part of the poor family." everyone laughed.

made me feel like a huge piece of shit and never wanted to feeel that way again and told my mom not to do it again.

thats my sad story lol im older now and realize it was just kids not really understanding the issue, either way though, i really appreciated it and always said i wanted to do it for some family some day when i can but i wouldnt know where to begin.

any ideas?

Originally posted by Type_S1
    Helping people is good and all...but I suggest you help people that deserve it.

Most of these people put themselves in this situation through drugs or alcohol which I refuse to even
    show compassion for a person like this.

Why don't you help out people that deserve it...like at the Ronald Mcdonald House? The homeless shelter is nothing but a government handout to lazy ass people who don't deserve it
    This.

Have you seen that fucking stupid commercial where the lady walks out of a building only to be stopped by "strung out" homeless people?

I'm fucking sick and tired of being made to feel guilty, and paying for drug addicts and alcoholics.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

ok - I'm only going to say this once and I hope people appreciate and respect it as to not derail the thread.

I too felt to some degree that some of the homeless didn't deserve our help. In fact, I pretty much felt this way up until last night - which is why I selected this to go outside my own comfort zone. Many got there due to drug/alcohol abuse - no doubt. But what I found when I was there is that many of these people are simply down on their luck and are not (in my opinion) likely to be homeless forever. There are also others who obviously have mental issues and are really not fit for work.

Yes, there are some just taking a handout. Any time people offer something for free there will always be those who abuse the system. There were two guys there who were texting on their cell phones the whole time. I'm like... really?!! But to paint all the homeless with such a broad brush is close minded and, quite frankly, somewhat ignorant. Don't think the homeless are simply comprised of the drunk natives you see hanging out in the park; there is far more to it than that.

With this said, I ask that people don't derail this thread by berating others for their choices on where to help out. I was pm'd by someone who felt that the Salvation Army was not a good charity either - but I'm happy he expressed his views in a PM. If you want to discuss politics - please do so elsewhere.

It doesn't matter. Helping out is helping out - regardless of whether others agree with it or not. If you don't want to help the homeless, then don't. If you disagree with the Salvation Army, then pass them by in the malls. Kids' groups are already a good place to start. Hope about donating to a charity which is trying to find a cure for a loved one you lost? Just pick something that is close to your own heart... listen to the overall message of this thread, and apply it where you deem worthy.
    Last edited by Kloubek; 12-12-2011 at 12:48 PM.

Default Re: My challenge to Beyond members

Originally posted by Kloubek
    Hi guys,

We're getting close to Christmas, and for many people this means a heightened sense of giving and kind will for others. However, besides giving gifts to loved ones, many don't really go above and beyond... even during the holidays.

Last night a friend of mine provided an opportunity for my wife and I to help out feeding the homeless. And let me tell you - I'm so glad I went. The individual coordinating the whole thing was totally uptight and stressed - which made it all the more amusing.

This was a totally heartwarming experience and we intend to do it at least quarterly now. It is so easy to view the homeless as "those people", but spending time with them and helping them out teaches you so much. The sincere thanks you get (from some), and the act of giving while getting absolutely nothing in return cannot be described in words.

So anyway, my challenge to each and every one of you reading this is to do something that is outside your normal comfort zone for the needy. This doesn't have to mean feeding the homeless... it can even be something as simply as shovelling your old neighbor's driveway for her. It could be donating $10 to the Salvation Army if you've never done so before. But personally, I really like doing what I did last night because you are able to help so many people in a fairly short timeframe and you're up close and personal with the individuals you're helping.

And if you feel comfortable, feel free to share what you did and your experience here, so perhaps that will both encourage others to participate in good will, and might even give some people ideas on how to help out.
    Good for you bro! Much respect to you...

I truly hope the haters never end up in a bad spot themselves...

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Guys, if you don't like the OP's choice of charity, that's your own business. Go help someone else then.

The Food Bank is a good one, most people who use the food bank use it for less than a month and then never use it again.

Volunteer to drive a chemo patient to thier treatments, you can call the Tom Baker Cancer Centre for that.

Don't focus on the negative here, go out there and lend a hand to someone. It'll change your life.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    2018 Tesla P3D

My wife and I along with a few friends volunteered at the Operation Christmas Child sorting centre last week. We all loved it! Very well organized operation. And I'm pretty sure most of the kids receiving these shoeboxes did not choose to be in that life situation. Watching their faces on videos always brings a smile to my face!

What really changed our hearts though, was when we helped out at a food bank operation out of a local Church in Bowness. Speaking with some of the people there you really get a sense that homelessness isn't their problem - nor lack of work for that matter. It's that they don't know how to get out of the rut they found themselves stuck in. Had some pretty entertaining conversations there. I truly encourage everyone out there to just have a small chat with some less fortunate people than you. It'll really change your outlook on life.
    Last edited by mo_money2supe; 12-12-2011 at 12:28 PM.

Get 6 months of free supercharging & FSD trial when you buy a new Tesla: https://ts.la/simon82305
    Free test drives for actual interested parties! We own both a Model 3 Performance and a Model X 90D.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-08-2019 at 12:49 PM.

My Ride
    17 Civic HB Sport

We host a dinner for the Creative Community Living folks TONIGHT at SAIT every year. Its an event that's been organized by our GM for the last 12 years. There's approximately 50 seniors that are bussed to the campus, most of them have a mental disability and have no family left...the only people close to them are their care takers.

We host a big turkey dinner for them, as most don't even get that throughout the holidays. Each one of them receives a gift from us that most don't open until Christmas day. All of our staff volunteers for this event, and we have a great time doing it...one of those things you look forward to each year that's for sure.

Happy Holidays!

What kind of birdhouse can you build with popsicles, roofies, and a rubber mallet?
    "It's for a rare African bird called "none your business."
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    If you were straight I'd eat you like a BLT sandwich with extra Bacon. And I fucking LOVE bacon.

My Ride
    is Invisible

Would anyone be up for a beyond group volunteer session at the mustard seed/drop in center?

It would be nice to go during the xmas break from school.

We adopt a family each year. We always give food or food gift certificates.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

My Ride
    DA6, R59

Originally posted by 03ozwhip
    when i was a kid, i was super poor. when i was 14 years old, my mom must have signed us up for some christmas donation thing, i dont know what it was but i got a sweet ass pair of Nikes.

when i went to school after christmas wearing them like a boss, one of the kids there said in front of everyone "i recognize those shoes, my mom donated them to a poor family, you must be part of the poor family." everyone laughed.

made me feel like a huge piece of shit and never wanted to feeel that way again and told my mom not to do it again.

thats my sad story lol im older now and realize it was just kids not really understanding the issue, either way though, i really appreciated it and always said i wanted to do it for some family some day when i can but i wouldnt know where to begin.

any ideas?
    I was in the same vote when i was a kid. I still remember getting this shitty 13 channel tv shere you had to get up and literally turn the channel, lol. IIRC that was through the YWCA.

I know MINI Crowfoot has an annual stuff a MINI campaign where all the toys get donated to the YWCA.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast