Quantcast
My challenge to Beyond members - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: My challenge to Beyond members

My Ride
    nissan

I hosted a Christmas party (ugly sweater competition) and requested everyone bring a food back donation - hauled in ~ 100 lbs of non perishables. The idea was very well received by our guests.

My Ride
    1990 4runner

Well said Kloubek. People definitely don't understand the issues behind homelessness and addiction and write the less fortunate off as drunks who just need to get a job.

I'll accept your challenge. Just got off the phone with a lifeguard friend of mine, gonna go volunteer with a program that teaches swimming to mentally handicapped kids from low income homes.

My Ride
    GTI

Originally posted by adidas
    Would anyone be up for a beyond group volunteer session at the mustard seed/drop in center?

It would be nice to go during the xmas break from school.
    I've never done anything like that but I've thought about it, I might be down.

My Ride
    09 XRS

My family has adopted families in the past for Christmas, and it turned out to be a scam - the family was no way in need of anything, just used it as an easy way to get free stuff.

So this year, I researched and researched until I found a legit agency that actually screens their families and are in fact, people in need. This was the only place I found that you could buy and wrap presents from "Santa", as well as get them gift cards for groceries, which I love because it seems so much more personal.

I had my parents, a few of my parent's neighbours, work and my boyfriend and I all adopt a different family. Drop off is this Thursday, and I'm pretty excited that 6 families will have Christmas this year.

This was the agency if anyone is interested.
    http://necaafs.com/programs/christmas.asp

Usually the wife and I give work boots, or work jackets to guys who are making progress at the Drop In Centre.

I have a friend who's worked at the DI for years and get a lot of information about it from him. There's a lot of people on here who could use a dose of reality as to why people can get into those situations. Get out of your comfort zone, help, learn.

Lightbulb

My family and I give all year long. My husband's step-brother is mentally and physically handicap. He is one step away from the homeless shelter, and was lucky to get into a building near Chinook Centre through a city program. Someone took advantage of him and left him nearly nothing in an apt they shared. He is on AISH, but I can say he barely gets by it's hard. He doesn't really work well with others and has anger issues which prevents him from being employeed long. But honestly they government just cuts back on his disability as soon as he earns. Through my BIL I have met a number of street characters he is friends with. Through kijiji, freecycle and our own pocket we pickup buy, deliver items that he needs himself and others are in need of. My BIL is giving to a fault. If one of his friends moves into a Rent Controlled building he will give his furniture knowing I will do everything in my power to get him more. I often laugh when I read stories on here about the homeless or people begging for change wondering if it's someone I know or even my BIL. He just gifted nearly all his pots and pans to a friend just starting out I am on the hunt for pots and pans if anyone is getting new ones for Christmas. I try to not spend too much money on items as so many people throw away. We try to keep the money aside for new coats and boots and shoes and things he would never normally buy for himself because of the cost. Congrats to everyone for trying to make a difference it is an important life lesson for our children and for our peers. Being aware of others that go without. Listen to their stories, they are incredible.

My Ride
    Sausage Wagon

I'm editing papers for some first years...

Originally posted by teamPRO

howbout suck my black kettle...

Originally posted by CUG
    I'm editing papers for some first years...
    wow dude, that's just cruel, especially at this time of year

My Ride
    Born in Stuttgart

I helped organize a casual dress week at work for my department. gathered $1000 in donations that is going to the Children's Cottage Society.

My Ride
    Jeep WJ

I've basically sold everyone in that photo a phone lol.

Its been a while since I did some sort of charity, might be good to start up again.

My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster

I would love to do something like this, was it a special Christmas meal or just ordinary? Do I just go in there and ask how I can help?
    Originally posted by Go4Long
    or else what? you'll turn on the caps lock?
    you do realize this is the internet right? lol
    Originally posted by rob the knob
    mar, you are good guy at heart
    you must realize your limitations
    then you will be happy if you fine place in live
    Originally posted by blitz
    Jesus man, I know you like Transformers, but you need to get out more. No one should get this upset over a movie based on children's toys.

Default Re: My challenge to Beyond members

Originally posted by Kloubek

So anyway, my challenge to each and every one of you reading this is to do something that is outside your normal comfort zone for the needy.
    What a wonderful "challenge". I will take you up on it and look for the opportunity to do a good deed that I may not normally.

Kudos, Kloubek.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Originally posted by Mar
    I would love to do something like this, was it a special Christmas meal or just ordinary? Do I just go in there and ask how I can help?
    This particular dinner was put on via a woman who lost her husband - and it was his dream to sponsor a meal like this. It was 50/50 her and her family, and the parrish. (I will add that I am not at all religous - but it didn't have a bearing on my willingness to help)

It was certainly Christmas themed - but may just have been the time of year. My understanding is that they offer meals regularly. I'm sure if you contact St. Mary's parrish that they will be happy to have you help out some time soon.

My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster

Originally posted by Kloubek
    It was certainly Christmas themed - but may just have been the time of year. My understanding is that they offer meals regularly. I'm sure if you contact St. Mary's parrish that they will be happy to have you help out some time soon.
    So do I ask the parish or the homeless centre?

We should have a mega thread where people post their random good deeds. If a good deed gets enough positive response, user rating is offered as a reward.
    Originally posted by Go4Long
    or else what? you'll turn on the caps lock?
    you do realize this is the internet right? lol
    Originally posted by rob the knob
    mar, you are good guy at heart
    you must realize your limitations
    then you will be happy if you fine place in live
    Originally posted by blitz
    Jesus man, I know you like Transformers, but you need to get out more. No one should get this upset over a movie based on children's toys.

My Ride
    Mazda 3 GT

What might be a good idea, for next year, is a Beyond charity drive. We could, as a group, either collect food or money or maybe even pick a day and all go to an organization like Operation Christmas Child and help out. It would be great exposure for the community and a chance for us to get together. Plus, when you have friends doing the same thing, you're more likely to contribute...I think it could be a big thing. What are your thoughts, guys?
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE

Stop with the antics. Beyonder.

My Ride
    ST205

I am running a marathon and raising money for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society of Canada. I have a personal connection with Leukemia and I want to channel my efforts to help those struggling with blood cancer.

We each have something we strongly believes and I think it's great for the OP to raise awareness and challenge this community to do better.

Shameless plug:

If you know anyone who has been afflicted with Blood Cancer or you wants to show your support to those who are fighting to find a cure, please give generously to the link below. Your donation will go to help researchers and support staff to help families who are battling Leukemia, Lymphoma and other blood cancers.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Originally posted by Mar

So do I ask the parish or the homeless centre?

We should have a mega thread where people post their random good deeds. If a good deed gets enough positive response, user rating is offered as a reward.
    Contact the Parrish. I don't think it is a homeless centre, per sec.

I did my good deed. Do I get a user increase even though I spent no money except for gas to get there? Come on Kenny/Rage... hook a brother up.

Originally posted by HyperZell
    What might be a good idea, for next year, is a Beyond charity drive. We could, as a group, either collect food or money or maybe even pick a day and all go to an organization like Operation Christmas Child and help out. It would be great exposure for the community and a chance for us to get together. Plus, when you have friends doing the same thing, you're more likely to contribute...I think it could be a big thing. What are your thoughts, guys?
    I think this is a great idea - and really hope our members would support it. Of course, you'll get people saying that other charities are more worthy - but which one we attend could be voted on.

My Ride
    Slow And burns oil !!

a fellow co-worker and i donated a combined $500 dollars in cash, 2 NDS's and a bunch of clothing/misc toys to the Adopt a family. The children had the NDS'S on the list and i figure even though i dont celebrate Christmas, its for a good cause!
    Booooooooosted Da9
    WD21 pathfinder mud rig

My Ride
    DA6, R59

On Friday I helped stuff 3 MINI's with over $5000 greatfully donated by Crowfoot Sport Check which will be going to the Sherif King Home and the YWCA. I don't think that would have been possible if Kool 101.5 didnt have the airtime and the continous contributions from the MINI Club of Calgary. Here a couple pics:

On a side note, every pay cheque I've been buying some "warm" clothes With the intention to give them to homeless people. Does anyone have any recommendations where or to whom I should give them to?
    Last edited by jdmXSI; 12-18-2011 at 11:17 PM.

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Originally posted by Modelexis
    Some broke asshole helped himself to my GPS and a pair of shoes in my trunk last night, you're welcome!
    His parents likely never spanked him as a child.

Nice thread Kloubek, you're a better man than I.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast