Quantcast
Looking to write off work clothing.. - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking to write off work clothing..

My Ride
    G37X

Default Looking to write off work clothing..

So this is my first year in business as a contractor. As a contractor, I have spent probably 2 grand or so on clothing (reciepts all saved) for dress shirts, ties etc for work. I am required to wear business attire as per the buildings standards.

How do I write this off come tax time? It seems the CRA website says that you cannot write off clothing which I'm sure is bs

Thanks for any tips, prefer to hear from other contractors who have dealt with this and haven't gotten burned by the CRA

you can't.
    heloc that shit

My Ride
    Grimace

lol, no you cannot write it off.
    See this court case for example:
    http://decision.tcc-cci.gc.ca/en/200...003tcc482.html

Default Re: Looking to write off work clothing..

Originally posted by Hallowed_point
    So this is my first year in business as a contractor. As a contractor, I have spent probably 2 grand or so on clothing (reciepts all saved) for dress shirts, ties etc for work. I am required to wear business attire as per the buildings standards.

How do I write this off come tax time? It seems the CRA website says that you cannot write off clothing which I'm sure is bs

Thanks for any tips, prefer to hear from other contractors who have dealt with this and haven't gotten burned by the CRA
    isn't is so unfair that the government makes you pay for your own clothing???

My Ride
    G37X

Haha ok I'm not retarded, I don't expect to be able to write off skate shoes and t shirts ...

This is strictly for work clothing ie dress pants, dress shirts stuff that I do not wear outside from work! There must be a way

My Ride
    Grimace

Originally posted by Hallowed_point
    Haha ok I'm not retarded, I don't expect to be able to write off skate shoes and t shirts ...

This is strictly for work clothing ie dress pants, dress shirts stuff that I do not wear outside from work! There must be a way
    Read the court case I posted, it is not possible. I am also a contractor and do not expect to write my clothes off

^^really? you think the government should buy everyone's work clothes for them? just who is supposed to pay for all of this? should they then increase your income tax by $2000/year?

My Ride
    is Invisible

Buy business attire at walmart. Problem solved.

My Ride
    WRX, Audi A4 Avant

Work clothes are exempt. I think it's dumb too, but them the rules. You can write off a lot of other things tho.

My Ride
    WRX, Audi A4 Avant

Originally posted by Guillermo
    ^^really? you think the government should buy everyone's work clothes for them? just who is supposed to pay for all of this? should they then increase your income tax by $2000/year?
    lol, writing something off doesn't mean it's free! Just means you can deduct it from your income so you don't have to pay income tax on those amounts.

^^yes i understand - just trying to make a point

My Ride
    Nissan x2

Originally posted by Guillermo
    ^^really? you think the government should buy everyone's work clothes for them?
    Gobernment paid for all my work clothing. :trollface:

Originally posted by schocker
    lol, no you cannot write it off.
    See this court case for example:
    http://decision.tcc-cci.gc.ca/en/200...003tcc482.html
    OP asks if he can write off business uniform. You say no on the basis of a court case where some broad was caught trying to write off cocktail dresses as business uniforms??

OP I would get in contact with a tax accountant, there is actually a lot more you can write off than people think. My friend worked as a contractor for a bit and has now opened their own home practice. I know this person writes off essentially everything even a portion of their car maintenance costs as their personal vehicle is used for work purposes. I don't think anyone on here other than people that work or have worked as tax accountants are going to be able to tell you...

My Ride
    4x4

Now... Depending on how ya deal with things...

Clothes are out... but if your an incorporated company, you can write off a service like... a uniform service... basically leasing your clothes... Leases are good

OP

Do you work in the same location all the time?

Do you work for one company only?

Do you use your equipment or is the equipment supplied to you?

Do you set your own schedule or do you have to be at the work site at a certain time?

Can you send someone else in your place to do the work?

Originally posted by J-hop
    OP asks if he can write off business uniform. You say no on the basis of a court case where some broad was caught trying to write off cocktail dresses as business uniforms??

OP I would get in contact with a tax accountant, there is actually a lot more you can write off than people think. My friend worked as a contractor for a bit and has now opened their own home practice. I know this person writes off essentially everything even a portion of their car maintenance costs as their personal vehicle is used for work purposes. I don't think anyone on here other than people that work or have worked as tax accountants are going to be able to tell you...
    a suit is not a "business uniform". as someone who was required to wears suits for a gig dt and who has a good tax accountant, this is not something that you can write off. period
    heloc that shit

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Work clothes would include Nomex coveralls, not a suit and tie.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Grimace

Originally posted by J-hop
    wtf is a business uniform. dress clothes are dress clothes so this is pretty much the same situations

[12] In the course of her submissions, the Appellant raised several issues which had not been pleaded but since no substantial objection was made on behalf of the Respondent, I propose to deal with them. First, the Appellant contends that business clothing expenses of $12,625 were claimed in what she said was "a sincere belief that their purchase was necessary to my professional image and thus to getting and keeping clients". She spoke of corporations sending their employees to image counsellors and said dressing for clients was of utmost importance in creating the requisite "power image" and that "a business suit for instance presents a corporate image of trust, security and stability, particularly important for the banking industry. That was the example they used. And the banking industry has often been my clients". Relying on Schedule II, Capital Cost Allowances, Class 12, items (i) and (k),[7] the Appellant now seeks the Court's approval to claim capital cost allowance with respect to the items of clothing because they were "uniforms required to obtain and keep contracts with my clients".

[13] The Appellant's argument that the clothing purchases should be treated as a capital cost item is totally without merit. There is no basis upon which her "outfits" could be considered as a "uniform". The items of clothing in issue were personal wear and were not solely necessary for her conduct of her business activities. Nor is there any evidence that she was required to use any of her clothing or accessories to appear on stage or in any related activity. Accordingly, her alternative claim with respect to the availability of these items for capital cost allowance must be rejected.

Any clothing that can be worn normally cannot be expensed, it's not rocket science. So OP, no.

Originally posted by lint

a suit is not a "business uniform". as someone who was required to wears suits for a gig dt and who has a good tax accountant, this is not something that you can write off. period
    I'm not saying it can, just the court case given as an example seems apples to oranges, lady is talking about needing to feel empowered and display strength ahahaha, aka they pulled out the black sexy dress and made her explain why she tried to write if off. Not hey i'm a contractor and to conform to the dress code I had to spend 2k in work clothes, can I write this off...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast