Quantcast
What mobile OS do you use? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

View Poll Results: What Mobile OS do you run?

Voters
198. You may not vote on this poll
  • Apple iOS

71 35.86%
  • Google Android

80 40.40%
  • RIM BB

37 18.69%
  • Symbian

2 1.01%
  • Windows Mobile/Windows Phone

8 4.04%
  • WebOS

0 0%
  • My mobile phone is a rotary shoe phone (not a smartphone)

0 0%
Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: What mobile OS do you use?

My Ride
    Audi

Default What mobile OS do you use?

Looking at the chart today on Engadget, I was curious as to what mobile OS everyone here runs.

So, what OS do you guys run?

http://www.engadget.com/2011/12/14/s...os-was-static/

Wow I didn't know Android had a commanding marketshare for 2011.
    When lazy let idle.

My Ride
    Audi

Yeah I was surprised by the massive growth of Android too. Look at 2009 vs. 2010 numbers for Android

I think without the actual number of units sold, it's hard to tell if the companies losing market share are actually selling less phones year over year or simply just not growing as fast as the rest of the market.

True, and you have to consider the fact that there is a full range of Android devices, from $100 handsets to $600. There are very entry-level phones with v1.6 to v2.3 now, that would count against these numbers. As much as I am an Android user and lover you can see how the sales numbers could look to be a little one sided. You can't take anything away from Apple for doing what they do. Being that they focus on one device at a time, not having a vast array of manufacturers (Samsung, LG, Sony, HTC, etc.).
    Last edited by TaiChino; 12-14-2011 at 08:26 PM.
    When lazy let idle.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

I still cant believe what I read from Nokia today...

What we see is that youth are pretty much fed up with iPhones. Everyone has the iPhone,” he said. “Also, many are not happy with the complexity of Android and the lack of security. So we do increasing see that the youth that wants to be on the cutting edge and try something new are turning to the Windows Phone platform.”

PS. I do think PALM OS still is the king of simple awesomeness.

My Ride
    Grimace

I am on my second android phone. I don't really like ios so I didn't consider the iphone. W7 does look very neat so I would like to give it a try but I don't think I would end up switching from android.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

I'm one of those that jumped to android early 2009.

so far:
    HTC Dream
    Acer Liquid E
    Sony Xperia X10 mini
    Sony Xperia X10
    Google Nexus One

Probably a LG G2x soon.

My Ride
    09 WRX Hatchback / 72 240z

Android's market share growth makes sense as you can even get the handsets for free in some markets with a contract. Plus there is a new Android handset coming out almost every week it seems.

I used a Windows 7 phone (Samsung Focus) for a while for my work phone. A good phone, great for simplicity, but it's not for me. I like techier things, but it would be a great device for someone who wants a simple yet powerful device.
    When lazy let idle.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-08-2019 at 12:54 PM.

My Ride
    Audi

I actually own a WP7 device (Samsung Focus). Having owned a BB and iOS device (I have extensively used Android devices, never owned one though), I thought WP7 gave me the best middle-ground of all of the systems.

Originally posted by Zephyr
    Android's market share growth makes sense as you can even get the handsets for free in some markets with a contract. Plus there is a new Android handset coming out almost every week it seems.
    That's a really good point... they've enabled the handset mfrs to target the group of people who constantly look for the latest and greatest.

While people like me will only acquire a phone under contract (for the discounted price), the Android ecosystem is very suited for those who are willing to pay full-pop for a phone every 6 months-1 year. It's very well suited for a fast-moving, rapidly changing market.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

OS wise, Android owns the market due to the huge # of phones available. iOS is really on 1 phone.

Company numbers wise, Apple is still at the top, with Samsung closing in fast.

Single phone wise, iPhone is still king. Pretty insane if you look at the graph, the green is all Android phones, while the white is 1 single iPhone haha.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    rally pig

IOS, invested on lots of IOS apps already, have an ipod touch, iphone 4 and ipad2 so I will not see an android phone for the next little while

My Ride
    Audi

Originally posted by rage2
    OS wise, Android owns the market due to the huge # of phones available. iOS is really on 1 phone.

Single phone wise, iPhone is still king. Pretty insane if you look at the graph, the green is all Android phones, while the white is 1 single iPhone haha.
    I believe with Apple they always have 2 phones on the market at any given time now. There are always 2: a master and an apprentice.

My Ride
    BMW X5

I don't know if I was just turned off from the Android because I had the Galaxy S and it was a laggy POS but I'm now on my very first iPhone (4S) and it's the best phone I've owned by far.

Had lots and lots of blackberries; from the original brick side-scrolls to curves and bolds (including the newest touch Bold).

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

WP7 is my preferred OS. I'm using an iPhone 4 right now and will be moving back to WP7 as soon as some handsets come out that can tether via wifi.

It will take a while for the general public to embrace WP7, mostly being that it is in it's baby stages, plus the fact that Microsoft fucked up big time with Windows Mobile 5&6. The platform will catch on, it's just a matter of time.
    When lazy let idle.

My Ride
    Axis powers

Originally posted by rage2

I wouldn't say it's only 1 phone, when you think about it
    IPhone
    IPhone 3G
    IPhone 3GS
    IPhone 4
    IPhone 4S
    Ipad
    Ipad2
    Ipod Nano
    IPod Touch G1-4

but still considerably less than the rest of the Android companies
    Sig nuked by mod.

My Ride
    Tesla Model 3 AWD

The growth of Android is due to so many variables. One is that all the phone makers need an OS to run on it and Android is free for them to use. So now the phone makers can focus on hardware and let the software be managed by Google.

As mentioned another variable is the wide array of choice offered to the consumer. If you want an entry level phone for free or next to nothing, you can. If you want the best the market has to offer, you can (interestingly this still comes in at a cheaper cost then the iphone).

Although apple still has the crown for number of apps (which most likely wont last long), the growth of Android is also being seen in the app market with Android just surpassing the 10 billion download mark.

And of course I really think with apple only having one phone, they got greedy with the exclusive deal they did with at&t which I think really hampered their growth. I think this is why in Canada many still see iPhone as king, but its a different story in the states where iPhone was handcuffed to one carrier.

At the end of the day Android means less expense for the handset makers which means less expense to the end consumer. This fact alone should drive Androids success.

My Ride
    F30

yay for android I dont think that growth is going down anytime soon
    Originally posted by Ven
    If you find a chic the there with a stick shift don't be alarmed. It's just the performance model, go ahead and ride it like you stole it.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast