Quantcast
Keeping a dog in a break up? - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Keeping a dog in a break up?

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Originally posted by Toma

I've had lots of dogs. But if it was for the best, I would have no issue giving one up.

It IS JUST a dog.
    Just because you have an inability to grow attached to another living being doesn't mean others are afflicted with the same condition.

If I was in the OP's situation, I would probably be seeking help as well.

My Ride
    You Crazy

Originally posted by JustGo
    Just to confirm what you were told, the police can not help you (or her), and it IS a civil matter...

Unless your dogs are hardcore drug dealers, then we will certainly intervene.
    Are you sure?

I had the cops threaten theft charges in a case.

The dog was understood to belong to someone else, but was only to be with the said person for a short period for care. No ownership was transfered. When person taking care refused to return the dog, animal services along with the police arrived and threatened charges if the aniimal was not returned.

My Ride
    You Crazy

Originally posted by Kloubek

Just because you have an inability to grow attached to another living being doesn't mean others are afflicted with the same condition.

If I was in the OP's situation, I would probably be seeking help as well.
    I'm from the old country. I grew attached to a piglet at one time, and later a chicken of all things.

Then at some point watched my grandma slit their throats in preparation for dinner.

Many years later, at University, it was a neuropsychology class. They gave us pet rats to feed, weigh, and monitor several times a week. Rats are actually cute and cuddly once you get to know them. They'll crawl up your arm, and snuggle their head in the dark crook of your elbow.

Then, we anesthetized them, drilled holes in their skulls, and implanted elctrodes in the medial forebrain bundle using a stereo-tax, and a almost dremel like equivalent.

We then continued to care for them, and experiment with the implanted elctrodes and observed behaviour.

After we collected results, we anesthetized them again, chopped their heads off, froze their skulls, removed the brain, and sliced it into thin section to evaluate the actual location of our implants.

I was very attached to my rat, and was mortified at this level of barbarity for an undergrad class. Funny thing was, the girls in the class were gung ho....

Anyway,

Attachment to animals to where they are equated to children is Irrational.

In failed relationships, the pets almost always are used as some sort of attempt to hold on to the relationship or in spite.

I had a douchebag buddy that had a dog, and his gf had kids. They broke up, and he actually tried to take the dog from the gf/kids.
    Last edited by Toma; 12-16-2011 at 09:41 PM.

My Ride
    Ford F150

^^ probably depends on the officer. RCMP in Alberta can press charges for crimes you didnt even commit with pretty much no evidence. Luckily the crown would likely drop the charges, but it would still be a headache.
    I can eat more hot wings than you.

My Ride
    Saab 9-5

Last edited by cancer man; 12-18-2011 at 04:52 AM.
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/34/The_Smoking_Man_(X-Files).jpg

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Attachment to animals to where they are equated to children is Irrational.
    Emotions are irrational by their nature. Many times they defy logic completely.

But, truth be known, I can somewhat understand where you're coming from now. I imagine doctors and those engaged in careers of the like have to separate themselves from thier patients when treatment fails. And chances are, working on cadavers and animals first (and in your case, animals in the manner which you mentioned) would indeed tend to desensitize people to grow attached to animals... and perhaps even humans.

However, I think the vast majority of people can see where the OP is coming from.

People that can't seem to see how the bond between a dog and a human is as strong as a human and a child need to give their head a shake.

When you buy an 8 week old little puppy that is as defenseless as a baby, you raise it, you play with it, you love it, it loves you. Sorry that bond is just as strong as any relationship you'll ever make in life and guaranteed stronger than most you'll make with most humans.

The reason.

Dogs in particular will love you in any situation. They don't turn their back on you. Dogs don't care what you look like, what you do for a living or if your gay. They simply love you because you love them.

For most guys you'll date several women before finding one to marry and hopefully forever, but in canada we know this isn't the case with our divorce rates being over 50%.

I'm sorry but I even told my Wife this, I pick my dog first and relations second. After going through a divorce I can tell you first hand, that dog will love you no matter what. Sure they can talk to you, but they can give you affection like nobody else can.

Girls will come and go. A dog though, will love you forever. Never forget that, because its true.

Originally posted by pea_soup
    People that can't seem to see how the bond between a dog and a human is as strong as a human and a child need to give their head a shake.

When you buy an 8 week old little puppy that is as defenseless as a baby, you raise it, you play with it, you love it, it loves you. Sorry that bond is just as strong as any relationship you'll ever make in life and guaranteed stronger than most you'll make with most humans.

The reason.

Spoken like a true non-parent. You missed the obvious: We share our genetic code with our children, they will outlive us, and are our legacy.

There is a whole dimension of attachment that one cannot share with a dog.

Originally posted by LollerBrader

Spoken like a true non-parent. You missed the obvious: We share our genetic code with our children, they will outlive us, and are our legacy.

There is a whole dimension of attachment that one cannot share with a dog.
    Spoken like somebody who knows nothing about life. It has ZERO to do with genetic code, ZERO absolutely ZERO.

You realize you have the same bond with just about any child you would adopt. Some of the very most loving parents in the world have adoptive children. They love their kids as much as you love your own kids. The bond is exactly the same. You'd do anything for your kid. They'd do anything for theirs.

Animals, especially dogs have that same disposition.

I can tell you right now I love my dog as much as you love your child. I'd do anything for my dog. I'd sacrifice myself for her. Heck we took our dog with us for our destination wedding. She is family. Whether genetic or not it makes no difference.

My Ride
    jdm b18c

first world problems
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

It's no big thing. I've also adopted a few dogs in the past that people had to give up because of where they had to move etc. The dog doesn't know the difference very quickly, and the old owners get over it quickly.

Geees, what a bunch of oversensitive sissies.

I honestly thought it was just crazy girls that said shit like "it's like my child". lol. Always thought that was nuts. If the house was burning down, made me wonder who they would rescue first lol

Mind ya, I'm old. I get over girlfriends just as quickly
    People just need to at least strike a happy medium. The attitude you've outlined is the reason why our animal shelters are overrun. As soon as it becomes inconvenient for people they ditch them without a second thought.

The thing is to properly train a dog and give it the structure it needs you have to put almost as much time into it as you would a human child. I suggest that those who don't treat a dog like a family member simply have no business owning a dog, get a fish or something more appropriate for you.

There is no need to turn this into a pissing contest measuring an owners attachment to a dog.

People will have different opinions on how attached or how important an animal will be in someone's life and that's the reality. You can't compare an animal to a child, it's apples and oranges.

The true nature of this thread is to determine the OP's legal action in keeping the dog, not how much the dog should or shouldn't mean to him.
    When lazy let idle.

My Ride
    4 doors, 4 cylinders

Are you sure?

I had the cops threaten theft charges in a case.

The dog was understood to belong to someone else, but was only to be with the said person for a short period for care. No ownership was transfered. When person taking care refused to return the dog, animal services along with the police arrived and threatened charges if the aniimal was not returned.
    I am positive. It is a dispute over shared property in a relationship. It is treated no different than a couch, or a TV. It would certainly be different if you were dating someone for a week, and then took their dogs... but if you are living with someone, splitting bills and such, it is nothing more than a property dispute. It's why so many people get so pissed off in a divorce. It doesn't matter who paid for it. It doesn't matter who takes care of it. It doesn't matter how long you've had it. It's all a civil matter, and must be handled through lawyers.

I can't speak to your specific situation, maybe there were other factors involved, which is why they would have considered it theft... I don't know. But if two people are living together for any significant amount of time in a relationship, it's all civil.
    Just because it happened to you, doesn't make it interesting.

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

I can tell you right now I love my dog as much as you love your child. I'd do anything for my dog. I'd sacrifice myself for her. Heck we took our dog with us for our destination wedding. She is family. Whether genetic or not it makes no difference.
    I can tell you right now that you don't. I know this because I am a parent, and you simply can't understand the bond you form with your child. I used to think just like you. I rescued Gracie (dog) and loved her with my whole heart. Then I had Cassandra, my daughter. It took me about a month after she was born before I fell totally in love with her. Now, don't get me wrong, I still love Gracie the same as I did before, but I would cut her throat with no hesitation if it would save Cassandra.

You love your dog, I love mine. But we're totally hard wired to love our children with a depth you simply can't comprehend because you have to experience it for yourself.

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

I have pictures of you sharing your genetic code with your dog on your wedding trip.
    Last edited by LollerBrader; 12-18-2011 at 12:49 AM.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Originally posted by codetrap

I can tell you right now that you don't.
    I'd actually agree with this - and I'm not even a parent.

I love my dog. He's wicked cool. But would I give up my life for him? No. Would I do so for my future child? Absolutely. And if anyone in here says they would do the former, they are out to lunch. And if a parent wouldn't do the latter, then they are just plain shitty parents imo.

But guys - this is entirely going off topic. The bottom line is that he is attached to the dog - and has every right to be.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Originally posted by codetrap
    But we're totally hard wired to love our children with a depth you simply can't comprehend because you have to experience it for yourself.
    Gotta agree here. Would you push your dog away from an oncoming car? I sure as fuck wouldn't. Would I do it for my child? I'm not a parent but I can tell you I certainly would for my Mom or Grandma.
    Ultracrepidarian

^ for some of us like myself who despise the idea of ever having our own children, having a dog is the closest we are going to get.

Some studies show that owning a dog is similar to having a child. It could be that we are hard wired to love a dog and a child in the same way, but logic and sentimentality relegate dogs to a lower level in some people.

I don't have children and I don't really have a dog in this fight (groan) but I think it is a bit presumptuous to say that people can't love a dog as much as a child.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/4241...cientists.html

http://www.newscientist.com/article/...isfaction.html

http://www.thaindian.com/newsportal/...100142531.html

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Spoken like somebody who knows nothing about life. It has ZERO to do with genetic code, ZERO absolutely ZERO.

You realize you have the same bond with just about any child you would adopt. Some of the very most loving parents in the world have adoptive children. They love their kids as much as you love your own kids. The bond is exactly the same. You'd do anything for your kid. They'd do anything for theirs.

Animals, especially dogs have that same disposition.

If you could only save one and you had such a bond with your fucking dog that it carried the same weight as ANY human being, let alone your child, then you have some serious emotional and identity issues.

If you would sacrifice your life to save your dogs, you need some counseling. I'd hate to be your friend, brother or wife and get picked second.
    Last edited by JRSC00LUDE; 12-18-2011 at 12:28 PM.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast