Quantcast
Tips and Suggestions for Vietnam Trip - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Tips and Suggestions for Vietnam Trip

My Ride
    M3

Default Tips and Suggestions for Vietnam Trip

Hey guys, I heading to Vietnam with some friends in Dec for about a month. Mainly staying in Saigon/HCMC(I believe we are staying in District 1) and maybe hit up the beaches of Nha Trang and Da Lat. What else are some things I should check out?

This will be a boys trip and we're more into bottle service/partying every night and massages/relaxing everyday rather than backpacking type activities. Any recommendations on clubs and bars or nightlife in general? Things will probably get pretty wild but hopefully not weird. haha

I've heard great things about the food and I can't wait to feast everyday. Looking forward to the pho, seafood, fresh fruits, and Vietnamese street foods. So far I've hit up travel blogs like Noodlepie and Vietnam720 for places to eat. Also saw some awesome suggestions from youtube videos on episodes of No Reservations. We're all gunna be rockin' the Dukoral so hopefully we won't get sick too badly.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Here's a few popular spots in Saigon (there are tons).. most of them play either hip-hop or house music.

Gossip- always packed and was renovated earlier this year.. located inside Dai Nam hotel.
    Bounce- bumpin on saturdays, top floor of Parkson Plaza. There's another club in the plaza too called Shadow.
    Lush- packed on weekends with mostly foreigners..
    Chill Skybar- amazing views from the rooftop of AB tower if you're a baller..

Nha Trang: haven't been there myself but have heard a top spot is Sailing Club- beach parties on the weekends!

Tip: try and pay the bill to one of the managers or someone that ISN'T the server.. you never know

My Ride
    M3

I heard Nha Trang beaches are suppose to be some of the best in the world, they even hosted Miss Universe there recently or something.

Thx for the manager tip. I heard when you roll up, the host gets bouncers to push everyone out of the way, VIP status! haha

i was in Nha Trang. not sure i i was in the wrong area, but the beaches definitely weren't spectacular.

just eat street food man. i had the BEST pho in a little dirty alley while sitting on childrens stools. so good. and the subs. oh my god. i want to go back for the food haha.

i know you said you don't like backpacker stuff but if you're there a month, DEFINITELY hit up Halong Bay up north man. you're a fool not to.

and you're crazy to stay in Ho Chi Ming City/Saigon the whole time. i was there 3 days and was so sick of it. it's ridiculously busy and LOUD. be prepared for hearing a horn every second of every day from scooters, worst place for being hungover or hot. get out of the city.

HA LONG BAY

My Ride
    '06 300C SRT8, '04 ZX6R

Get down to Hoi An and buy some suits from "a dong silk"! Seriously, the best place in Veitnam to get suits made, no shit quality suits here, you pay more but it's worth it!

CEO's from all over the world go to that place to get their suits made, it's crazy.

If you wanna party it up in style while you're there then head down and get some suits made at the start, then party it up the rest of your time.

Jason

Default Re: Tips and Suggestions for Vietnam Trip

Originally posted by potatopineapple

This will be a boys trip, massages/relaxing everyday

Any advice would be appreciated.
    My bad for making the quote sound gay but You guys are about to have an epic time! The girls love tourists there(true love or not who cares right). Its been awhile since i went so i can't offer much but just be careful when you go out, don't act all cocky and you'll be fine. My cousins went 2 years ago and just 3 of them went out to a small karaoke place and at the end of the night the manager tried jacking them real nice on the tab. The food was just ok for me but you can't really complain when your lunch tab for 5 is literally the price of a bowl of pho here. The most important thing i can pass on is bring lots of gifts back for the gf/wife because she will be all over you for messing around if shes white, if shes asian she'll most likely have an idea what happens in nam and just not care lol
    Originally posted by 89coupe

LOL, $95 for two sounds pretty damn cheap to me. Is this not including any drinks or something?

Are you guys all students on a budget or something?

My lunch tab is that much for two people.

My Ride
    06 civic ex coupe

Check out DMAX; its an upscale spa. It does your massages, but also has a steam room and a sauna. My cousin owns that place. He also owns 2 or 3 other ones but the DMAX one by far has better looking girls..

Its near the corner of Ton That Tung and Bui Thi Xuan street in district 1.

I took a bunch of my friends (guys and girls) back there a year or two back and we had blast. They also have karaoke room and a lounge that you can just chill out and drink...

Be careful with street food. They may be cheap and good, but if you have live in North America your entire life, I guarantee you that your stomach will not be able to handle it. If you do eat the street food, dont eat any raw veggies or drink the ice...

The clubs in vietnam are crazy! if you don't finish your bottles, they'll seal it and give you a card so when you come back next time, they bring the bottles back out for you...

some other places:
    - cu chi tunnels and shoot some machine guns
    - Phu Quoc island: nice & quiet beaches, diving/snorkelling, squid fishing; only 1hr flight from Saigon

The few times I went back was when I was younger so I can't offer too much advice on bars/clubs and all that. The first time I went parasailing was in Vietnam at Nha Trang. If you are able to find a spot on one of the popular beaches, there will usually be a guy with his Sea-doo and a parasail. If you tip him a bit extra (I think my entire 5-10 minute trip was about $50 give or take a bit). They'll take you on a longer ride and dip you in the water and speed back up and take you back into the air. Overall it was pretty exciting and this was for two people!

One thing I would also mention is eating the fish while your in the beach area. I think it was in Nha Trang as well where we would boat to a small restaurant in the middle of the water, and adjacent to the restaurant would be a giant netted area in the ocean where they had the fish swimming. All you have to do is point to the fish(es) you want and they'll catch it front of you and serve it up however you like. Here in Canada, there's fresh fish you get from a dinky water tank, but when you can have it like that, It is AWESOME!

indulge in the sex trade, just stay away from girls under 15

My Ride
    Taco

Nha Trang beaches are pretty shitty actually. I rented a scooter and drove to a fishing village about 30 minutes along the coast line. Amazing views.

I was also surprised by the price of seafood in Nha Trang. It was right on par with us. A remember a lobster being about $25 at The Sailing Club. Cool spot though. And I agree the back alley pho was the best.
    Last edited by B20EF; 11-26-2011 at 11:42 PM.

My Ride
    M3

Originally posted by Dumbass17
    i was in Nha Trang. not sure i i was in the wrong area, but the beaches definitely weren't spectacular.

just eat street food man. i had the BEST pho in a little dirty alley while sitting on childrens stools. so good. and the subs. oh my god. i want to go back for the food haha.

i know you said you don't like backpacker stuff but if you're there a month, DEFINITELY hit up Halong Bay up north man. you're a fool not to.

and you're crazy to stay in Ho Chi Ming City/Saigon the whole time. i was there 3 days and was so sick of it. it's ridiculously busy and LOUD. be prepared for hearing a horn every second of every day from scooters, worst place for being hungover or hot. get out of the city.
    I wouldn't mind checking out Ha Long Bay, but the majority of the group have been there before already, we'll probably play it by ear. From what I've seen, the scenery there is absolutely breathtaking.

Totally down for the street food. Only hard part is trying to find the specific legendary food stalls. They're all hidden in secret alleys with no signs. But it's all good, part of the adventure is trying to find them with iffy directions off the internet. I really respect that there are people who devote their entire lives to perfecting a few simple dishes.

My Ride

dont get your hopes up with the girls there. most of them arent that hot.. for some reason, i didnt like the food either. Be careful with your money, you will get nammer scammed. no way around it. taxi drivers always take long routes even when you mention the fastest way.

My Ride
    M3

Default Re: Re: Tips and Suggestions for Vietnam Trip

Originally posted by Hi-Psi

Get down to Hoi An and buy some suits from "a dong silk"! Seriously, the best place in Veitnam to get suits made, no shit quality suits here, you pay more but it's worth it!

CEO's from all over the world go to that place to get their suits made, it's crazy.

If you wanna party it up in style while you're there then head down and get some suits made at the start, then party it up the rest of your time.

Jason
    How are the tailors in Saigon? Are they comparable to Hoi An? Is it just that specific shop or are they generally skilled there? I had a few suits made in Hong Kong last year. They did a decent job, but insisted on stitching my name in the lining and my initials on my dress shirts, so corny! hahaha

How's the nightlife in Hoi An?

Originally posted by Stunt66

My bad for making the quote sound gay but You guys are about to have an epic time! The girls love tourists there(true love or not who cares right). Its been awhile since i went so i can't offer much but just be careful when you go out, don't act all cocky and you'll be fine. My cousins went 2 years ago and just 3 of them went out to a small karaoke place and at the end of the night the manager tried jacking them real nice on the tab. The food was just ok for me but you can't really complain when your lunch tab for 5 is literally the price of a bowl of pho here. The most important thing i can pass on is bring lots of gifts back for the gf/wife because she will be all over you for messing around if shes white, if shes asian she'll most likely have an idea what happens in nam and just not care lol

I'm not vietnamese but we're all asian...so yeah, there's an understanding to how things work. Hahaha The 2 places you don't fall in love are The Jersey Shore and Vietnam.
    I heard trendy coffee shops are the best for picking up girls there, apparently they are almost Van quality but not quite SoCal.

My friends have told me that walking into some of the bars is like a rap video in real life. But we're probably going to stay away from the ex-pat bars, don't really want to bump shoulders with sleezy old tourist type creeps.
    Last edited by potatopineapple; 11-29-2011 at 01:55 PM.

My Ride
    M3

Originally posted by Dr_Funk
    Check out DMAX; its an upscale spa. It does your massages, but also has a steam room and a sauna. My cousin owns that place. He also owns 2 or 3 other ones but the DMAX one by far has better looking girls..

Its near the corner of Ton That Tung and Bui Thi Xuan street in district 1.

I took a bunch of my friends (guys and girls) back there a year or two back and we had blast. They also have karaoke room and a lounge that you can just chill out and drink...

Be careful with street food. They may be cheap and good, but if you have live in North America your entire life, I guarantee you that your stomach will not be able to handle it. If you do eat the street food, dont eat any raw veggies or drink the ice...

The clubs in vietnam are crazy! if you don't finish your bottles, they'll seal it and give you a card so when you come back next time, they bring the bottles back out for you...
    Oh yeah, I've read about DMax on here, it sounds like a great way to kill some afternoons and hangovers while bonding with the boys. Massaged by 3 girls at a time? Don't mind if I do!

A few people have advised not to eat raw veggies or consume the ice, but damn....they are such a huge part of vietnamese cuisine, especially the fresh herbs, etc. It's going to be tough to resist. I'm hoping Dukoral and antibiotics will allow me to enjoy myself.

My Ride

IMO, I would probably consider staying there for less than a month. Saigon is probably a place to stay for 1 week tops. Hotels are pretty shitty unless you go 5 star (not cheap). I am sure others would agree with that. Girls on the street are pretty ugly lol. Decent girls once in awhile at higher end places. I honestly think calgary has better looking girls. Nha Trang could be nice but it is ruined with garbage. Kind of looks like a dump. Hope you guys like fish sauce! I had unscaled fish cooked in fish sauce with a fish sauce dipping sauce! This was about 1km from a fish sauce factory so I could smell it too lol.
    Last edited by Projek01; 11-29-2011 at 01:04 PM.

My Ride
    M3

Originally posted by Roarasaur
    One thing I would also mention is eating the fish while your in the beach area. I think it was in Nha Trang as well where we would boat to a small restaurant in the middle of the water, and adjacent to the restaurant would be a giant netted area in the ocean where they had the fish swimming. All you have to do is point to the fish(es) you want and they'll catch it front of you and serve it up however you like. Here in Canada, there's fresh fish you get from a dinky water tank, but when you can have it like that, It is AWESOME!
    Originally posted by B20EF
    Nha Trang beaches are pretty shitty actually. I rented a scooter and drove to a fishing village about 30 minutes along the coast line. Amazing views.

I was also surprised by the price of seafood in Nha Trang. It was right on par with us. A remember a lobster being about $25 at The Sailing Club. Cool spot though. And I agree the back alley pho was the best.
    Can't wait....love fresh Seafood. Had similar experience in Hong Kong/China and it was amazing...really enjoyed the ambience of being close to the water too. It's all about the Mantis Prawns!

Originally posted by Guillermo
    indulge in the sex trade, just stay away from girls under 15
    We ain't looking to get weird, this ain't no Thailand trip! hahaha

My Ride
    M3

Originally posted by Projek01
    dont get your hopes up with the girls there. most of them arent that hot.. for some reason, i didnt like the food either. Be careful with your money, you will get nammer scammed. no way around it. taxi drivers always take long routes even when you mention the fastest way.

IMO, I would probably consider staying there for less than a month. Saigon is probably a place to stay for 1 week tops. Hotels are pretty shitty unless you go 5 star (not cheap). I am sure others would agree with that. Girls on the street are pretty ugly lol. Decent girls once in awhile at higher end places. I honestly think calgary has better looking girls. Nha Trang could be nice but it is ruined with garbage. Kind of looks like a dump. Hope you guys like fish sauce! I had unscaled fish cooked in fish sauce with a fish sauce dipping sauce! This was about 1km from a fish sauce factory so I could smell it too lol.
    To be honest, I don't mind being scammed a dollar here and there. First World problems in a Third World country. Especially if it's an amount that I wouldn't even notice but would really help make a person's day. I can't knock the hustle. hahaha
    I'm just hoping I don't get straight jacked, like a dude yanking off my shit while driving by on a scooter. One of my buddies thinks he almost got robbed. He got too drunk, peace'd out early and stumbled into a taxi alone. When the driver started taking him the wrong way, down all these dark back alleys, he got a bad feeling. So he puts the driver in a headlock from the backseat and starts choking him out! When the car skidded to a stop, my friend jumped out and ran off. He ended up spending like 3hrs walking back to the hotel.

We each booked a VIP Suite at a newer hotel so hopefully it will be decent. I hear the room service is unreal, anything you want, they will run out and go get it for you hahaha
    The general consensus seems to be that Nha Trang is overrated and overhyped. I think I'll probably skip it then. Awesome advice from you guys.

How about Da Lat? It's alot less hassle to go there.
    Last edited by potatopineapple; 11-29-2011 at 01:53 PM.

My Ride
    rusty

I'm in vietnam right now in saigon, 3rd time back. been here about 2 weeks now. about 5 days in saigon right now. its alright here gets pretty expensive if you're the only viet kieu(vietnamese living outside of vietnam) and when you go out to eat its like 10 of your relatives. gets pretty expensive quick! haha

to answer your da lat question. ive been there a couple years ago. didnt go this time. last time i went it felt like it was for couples, saw alot of couples on my tour. weather is rainy and a lil bit on the colder side. around 20degrees compares to saigon which is usually 30+. thats where all the coffee comes from in vietnam. its nice if you never been. just go there to know whats up.

im not planning on staying here that long. just went and check out da nang/hue/hoi an/hanoi/ha long bay. heading to nha trang, family there. and maybe heading to kambodia/singapore. and some of the other s.e asia countries. if you want to know more about some of the places let me know. i'll give you my opinion on it. but for sure ha long bay is nice, rent a junker and just chill on the boat and explore the bay, its one of the wonders of the world. and its true nha trang is overrated, a better option is to head to phu quoc island, more peaceful, less tourist.

im more of a backpacker/adventurer/explorer, but i love messin with girls whenever i have the time. if you got relatives here they should know where to go.

saigon is the best for food, because thats where the locals get the most money for it.

hope you have a good trip. if you're staying for a month. definitely go out and explore, saigon for a month will get boring and very expensive

Agreed that you shouldn't stay in Saigon for 2 weeks. That would be hell imo. I used to be an expat based in Cambodia (been temporarily back in Canada for a year now). Even if all you want to do is party you should get out of that hell-hole of a city for a few days. Take your time and after a week or so in the city, you guys can decide on some other spot to visit/chill out at and then head back to Saigon. Remember: you can drink and get girls anywhere you want so it's not like you're limited to the city.
    Porsche 944S2 Cabrio

My Ride
    WRX, Audi A4 Avant

Went there last year with my wife. We spent 2 nights in Hanoi, 2 night in Ha long bay/Cat ba island, 2 nights in Sapa, 2 in Hoi An, and 2 in ho chi minh city.

Hoi An was definitely the highlight of the trip. This is where you get tailored clothes. Stay away from the shoe makers though, they are horrible quality.

Hanoi was fun, the old quarter definately has the most things to see and do. People are really sketchy here though, taxis will always rip you off, locals will charge you as much as they can, and i even got someone from the 'mafia' to threaten me with a beer bottle!

Sapa was awesome, trek'ed thru the rice fields and visited some local villages. very beautiful here, and the locals speak real good english for some reason... probably cuz of all the tourists.

Ha long bay and Cat Ba island were great to see. We went rock climbing on one of them rock formations, and canoed around the area.

HCM city was just shopping and street food. lot more modern than Hanoi's old quarter.

Girls were not hot there... most look like country girls. massage parlors were crazy cheap. must've went for a massage every day. we even did a couple day spas, where we got pampered for around 5 hours.