Quantcast
Abandoned car on streets. 311? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Abandoned car on streets. 311?

My Ride
    1992 KA-T Silvia

Default Abandoned car on streets. 311?

Ok so I've had a car parked in front of my house for over a week and a half now.
    Usually not a big deal because I park in the garage anyway, but the past few days since we've been buying furniture and other things and have been having to park out front. This car is sitting right in front of our sidewalk path.
    We have no idea who's car it is seeing as how all of our other neighbors have driveways they park on so I'm left to think this is someone across the street or something who is taking advantage of the fact that we don't use the spot all that much.

In this instance would it be ok to call 311 and leave a 72 hour park complaint or is that a big dick move.
    I don't plan on going door to door to say hey is that your car, but I want it gone.
    What would you guys do?

My Ride
    G37S

Leave a note on the car at least, telling them that you're pissed, and they need to move their car before it gets towed.

Leave a note, she might be hot! If so, pictures or it didn't happen.
    Two hands working can do more than a million clasped in prayer...

My Ride
    Viper baby, Ohh and an H22 CB9

If the car has legal plates on it and is parked legally there is nothing you can do, they will not tow it. This has been gone over a few times on here and you do not own the spot in front of your house, its public parking.
    Love my Viper.
    Radio controlled rock crawling. www.rc-ab.com

My Ride
    992 T-hawk Golf R

Call 311, it might be stolen and abandoned.
    I like neat cars.

My Ride
    Cattle Train

I agree it is stolen. Call 311 and get it reported.
    It happen to my dad, samething.

Originally posted by racerjim
    If the car has legal plates on it and is parked legally there is nothing you can do, they will not tow it. This has been gone over a few times on here and you do not own the spot in front of your house, its public parking.

Vehicles
    Vehicles parked on driveways may not block sidewalks or boulevards refer to theTraffic Bylaw 26M96).
    Do not leave unregistered, uninsured vehicles on City streets or lanes.*
    A vehicle must be operable and moved within 72, hours or it may be considered abandoned and removed as such.*
    *This regulation is a part of Alberta's Traffic Safety Act and is enforced by the Calgary Parking Authority.

If vehicle looks to be abandoned , call the bylaw folks and they will check to see if it was stolen and dumped ( very common ) , and or mark it and return to tag and tow .

Originally posted by cde1966
    Leave a note, she might be hot! If so, pictures or it didn't happen.
    Really?

Pics or it didn't happen?

This catch phrase is getting just so lame.

My Ride
    1992 KA-T Silvia

Originally posted by racerjim
    If a car does not move within 72 hours it can be towed of public property. Read the citys website FAQ.

But yeah I'm going to leave a note today, wipe a part of the windshield off so it's 100% noticeable and if nothing's done I'll atleast call and possibly get someone their car back.

If it has legal plates and is within a few blocks of the house they are right that as long as it is legally parked you cant be towed. Now I dont think you can dump your car on the other side of the city for weeks on end without possibly getting towed.

Also OP it could be a stolen car that was dumped so I would almost call parking to have the plate ran. This is what I would do:

- Talk to a few of your neighbors.
    - If they dont know whos it is call parking control
    - When you speak to the officer just say it is in front of your house, it appears dumped, you dont recognize it, your neighbors dont recognize it, and you want it checked.

My dads car was stolen and looked perfect. It was dumped in Scenic Acres and everyone thought it was a neighbors kids car until someone called it in after 2 weeks.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Originally posted by Cos
    If it has legal plates and is within a few blocks of the house they are right that as long as it is legally parked you cant be towed. Now I dont think you can dump your car on the other side of the city for weeks on end without possibly getting towed.
    This goes against the city bylaw.

If there is something I am overlooking (eg, you have talked to the Calgary Parking Authority and they mentioned they dont generally ticket vehicles parked in close proximity to the registered owner) then please advise.

Otherwise, 72 hours is the legal limit.

Remove the license plate and phone it in... that's the easiest way to make it happen.

Originally posted by revelations

This goes against the city bylaw.

If there is something I am overlooking (eg, you have talked to the Calgary Parking Authority and they mentioned they dont generally ticket vehicles parked in close proximity to the registered owner) then please advise.

Otherwise, 72 hours is the legal limit.
    I just remember people trying to have neighbors cars removed and they were told that as long as it is registered and near the dwelling they wont touch it.

I have heard about that RX8 that was impounded and sold off because the guy went away so I could see them doing it. I just wonder if it is CPA policy after they had that lawsuit.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

My Ride
    4 doors, 4 cylinders

311 is pretty useless. Call 266-1234 and report a suspicious auto... maybe have a look at the door locks of the car, look inside at the ignition, if anything looks tampered with, it's likely stolen.

If it's a dodge neon, or honda civic, I can almost guarantee it's stolen.

Get the plate, call the police non-emergency number I mentioned above, and if they will likely at least contact the owner to have it moved if it's not stolen.

Hope that helps...
    Just because it happened to you, doesn't make it interesting.

There is a car on my street (good neighbourhood) with Saskatchewan plates, doubt it has been moved in a year. Another BMW Z3, not moved in over three years, they keep renewing the plates though. Who leaves a Z3 sitting with half inflated tires, starting to tear top and otherwise fine on a street for years?

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Originally posted by Cos
    I just remember people trying to have neighbors cars removed and they were told that as long as it is registered and near the dwelling they wont touch it.

I have heard about that RX8 that was impounded and sold off because the guy went away so I could see them doing it. I just wonder if it is CPA policy after they had that lawsuit.

Yea, sounds like its up to the discretion of the issuing attendant then.... still, might be worth a shot.

My Ride
    1.2 GIGAWATT CUISINART POWERED DELOREAN

Originally posted by masoncgy
    Remove the license plate and phone it in... that's the easiest way to make it happen.

My Ride
    Lexus NX

I've had a similar incident happen to me before. A pickup truck was left in front of my house for 2 weeks without being moved.

Here is what I did:

- walked around and rang the door bells on my immediate neighbours to ask if the truck belonged to them; it wasn't

- called Calgary Parking Authority: reported that the vehicle was violating the parking bylaws because it was within 1.5m of my driveway

- CPA came out an hour later and started issuing a ticket; the owner came running down the street to move his truck and claimed he had been 'sick and stuck in Airdrie' all this time

- CPA asked if I still want to go ahead with ticket; I told them to cancel it and thanked them for coming. In the end, the truck got moved and that's all I wanted

If the vehicle hasn't been moved for more than 72 hrs, call CPA. They'll come tag the vehicle first, then wait 72 hrs, then come back and tow it if it's still there. They can't ticket/tow the vehicle right away since they don't have any evidence it hasn't moved for 72 hrs when you first reported the incident.

My Ride
    acura TYPE A

There is a woman living our community who always complains about everything. She looks for anything to call 311/parking authority.

So one day the guy next door had inlaws from milwaukee, their car was registered in the state of WI but she did not see the stickers like we have in AB on the plate so she the CPA and they came out and couldnt do anything WHILE the owners of the car were watching.

My Ride
    You Crazy

I've had vehicles in front of my house, and called Parking, and there was nothing they could do since the plates checked out, and it was parked legally.

Say you go on vacation for two weeks, what sense would it make that they could just take your legally parked car just cause it's been in the same spot for 72 hours?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast