Quantcast
Credit and debit card skimming at crowfoot centre banks - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Credit and debit card skimming at crowfoot centre banks

Default Credit and debit card skimming at crowfoot centre, Marda Loop, Kensington, etc

Im surprised it took this long for it to be reported since these two guys installed these skimmers on the ATMs in early november and managed to get over $25,000 since then.

Not just crowfoot but marda loop and kensington as well.
    Last edited by FoxTrot; 12-23-2011 at 12:05 PM.

Proof?
    When lazy let idle.

My Ride
    2017 Golf TSI

Which banks?

Now I am trying to remember if I've used any bank machines in crowfoot since early november...
    Originally posted by Vagabond142
    Is the best game. Ever. In everness. It is more awesome than a robot caveman punching God in the dick. It is that awesome

My Ride
    '05 Wrx stage 2

There should be daily routines that involve checking for skimming devices at banks in my opinion, unless they are hard to spot, I'm not really too sure what they look like

Heres the article.

Looks like its not just crowfoot but kensington, mardaloop and others as well.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...ard-fraud.html

My Ride
    acura TYPE A

i thought the chip card protects us from this ?

Originally posted by thetransporter
    Not while the cards still have the mag stripe. I believe they intend to take it out once vendors up date all their interac machines.

Originally posted by thetransporter
    I have six credit cards (few business, couple personal) the only card that has not been compromised in the last year is the one withOUT a chip.
    Originally posted by Arash Boodagh
    Before I start pwning all the members with my findings.
    Originally posted by Arash Boodagh
    Plus, is it true you can feed a pig elephant dong and it will still grow and build meat?
    Originally posted by Toma
    rx7_turbfoags best friend
    Toma the homophobe?

This is why you stay away from ATMs, except maybe on campuses is OK.
    Does everything matter or does nothing matter?

My Ride
    Silverado

My Ride
    2015 Ram 1500

My RBC card was compromised, then I went to the states and they froze my card. When I contacted them they said that now that they'd told me about it they weren't responsible for any losses as a result of the fraud if they unfroze my card. I was like "doesn't that seem like a pretty fuckin big loophole to you? why wouldn't you just tell everyone their card was compromised and hope for the best?" they didn't understand my point...
    Originally posted by HeavyD
    you know you are making the right decision if Toma opposes it.

My Ride
    2000 323i

Since one time I got skimmed years ago, I visually inspect card readers, and pull on them, etc. These are usually subtly (and not ridigly) installed readers, unless it's an inside job (in which case, it's easier for them to get caught). Typically installed in places with less surveillance than a bank, but they typically use your bank to withdraw the money, as they try to deposit empty envelops and withdraw more than you have (which was my experience). The problem is if they can install, and remove the skimmers sublty enough, they can collect a buttload of info, wait it out, make up the mock cards, and then deploy a group of people to make the withdrawals.

Re: the chip cards, as 403Calgary said, as long as all banks, vendors and machines aren't switched exclusively to chip, the security features of a chip are made rather moot. I assume that if your bank is all chip, their machines will not read unchipped cards of their banks, but they can then just use a different ATM (which removes their ability to deposit empty envelopes, but they don't care a whole lot I'm sure). To skim a chip, they'd have to switch out the whole pinpad, which has been done, but is much more difficult (with cameras almost everywhere, damn near impossible without an insider) as the chip goes pretty well all the way inside the machine.
    Mike

My Ride
    13 Scion FR-S, 11 Mitsu Outlander

http://www.snopes.com/fraud/atm/atmcamera.asp

Unless you are an ATM expert, it's pretty hard to spot. They are all over Calgary, all the time. There is usually a pinhole camera somewhere to catch your pin, so be a dork and always cover it up. Even then, the real pros have fake keypads that go over top of the real keypad to capture the pin.
    That's not sweat. It's your fat, crying.

My Ride
    Bicycle

I don't use debit and ATM only with my own bank. RBC's green bubble is pretty hard to fake.

Originally posted by Go4Long
    My RBC card was compromised, then I went to the states and they froze my card. When I contacted them they said that now that they'd told me about it they weren't responsible for any losses as a result of the fraud if they unfroze my card. I was like "doesn't that seem like a pretty fuckin big loophole to you? why wouldn't you just tell everyone their card was compromised and hope for the best?" they didn't understand my point...
    That's why when it's compromised, they will issue a new one. Let the old number deactivated.

And that's why you always have 2 to 3 cards on you, in case one got burnt.

Originally posted by cherpintow
    There should be daily routines that involve checking for skimming devices at banks in my opinion, unless they are hard to spot, I'm not really too sure what they look like
    Yea it is really frustrating that banks haven't taken proper precautions to prevent this. I think it was just a year ago that TD in Brentwood had a compromised machine.

I don't know if the steps I take help at all but my main savings account is not connected to my card, so I can't add or withdraw anything from it via the card. My daily use chequing account only ever carries a balance of a couple hundred dollars. When my card was compromised a few years ago they froze the chequing account because the person tried to deposit and withdraw $1000 which was deemed abnormal activity for that account.