Quantcast
Condo flooded - any advice? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Condo flooded - any advice?

I do have a journal going, complete with dates & times. I am noting my thoughts, observations, as well as any relevant conversation with employees of the service company. I've also taken pictures of anything & everything, but especially my hardwood which is brittle, cupped, and has significantly raised joints. Not sure if it will ever help out but like you say it doesn't hurt to have.

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

Of the city or in my house?

sorry of the city what condo and who is the builder, feel free to pm if you dont want to post in the thread

Just an update for those following, things actually seem pretty good. They are going to replace my kitchen island, and obviously the areas where they cut into my wall, as well as part of my cupboards.

I don't think I'll be incurring any costs with deductibles, and the building's insurance shouldn't go up (they are going after the individual at fault's insurance company, I'm told).

The huge concern I have now is my hardwood....it has returned from fully cupped, to probably 90%, if not more, of it's original state. Enough that they will probably tell me that they will not replace it. They have told me, however, that if it didn't return, they would replace the entire thing, and not try to sand it or fix only part of it. So, if I can convince them it's not right, I get a brand new floor.

My question for you guys is this: Is there anything at all I can tell the adjusters to get new hardwood? I don't think it's gone back 100%, but I would say probably 90%. Point being it isn't PRECISELY as it was before, but it's pretty close. Obviously, I'd like new hardwood out of the deal, if possible. Any advice on what I might be able to tell them? I can see some minor things that definitely aren't the same, meaning it is not original condition, but I think they will try and argue that there are other similar imperfections on my floor in other unaffected areas.

I personally find it hard to believe a floor can take that much water and have no lasting damage to the structural integrity and whatnot, but I know very little about all this.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 01-09-2012 at 02:37 AM.

Just out of curiosity, was it even cold enough on those days for the pipes to burst due to an open window?
    Originally posted by rage2
    #1: don't ever question me.

My Ride
    2009 Forester

i assume you have something under the hardwood? If it's or foam i'm sure that it has some kind of damage.

You can also tell them that your resale value just went down the shitter if you try to sell a place with water damaged hardwood. Are they offering to sand and refinish *all* of the hardwood or just what's damaged?

i think your floor should be replaced as anyone who knows what they're doing can tell if the floor has been sanded and refinished.
    Tim

-try to get to an expert opinion from a hardwood installer that your floor has not returned to 100% and never, and should be replaced. call high end flooring place to have someone come out.
    -any know what effect of sanding is on new hardwood floors. with old floors with nails you can sand and refinish limited times before hitting nails. how many times can new type hardwood floors take a sanding?

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    Just an update for those following, things actually seem pretty good. They are going to replace my kitchen island, and obviously the areas where they cut into my wall, as well as part of my cupboards.

I don't think I'll be incurring any costs with deductibles, and the building's insurance shouldn't go up (they are going after the individual at fault's insurance company, I'm told).

The huge concern I have now is my hardwood....it has returned from fully cupped, to probably 90%, if not more, of it's original state. Enough that they will probably tell me that they will not replace it. They have told me, however, that if it didn't return, they would replace the entire thing, and not try to sand it or fix only part of it. So, if I can convince them it's not right, I get a brand new floor.

My question for you guys is this: Is there anything at all I can tell the adjusters to get new hardwood? I don't think it's gone back 100%, but I would say probably 90%. Point being it isn't PRECISELY as it was before, but it's pretty close. Obviously, I'd like new hardwood out of the deal, if possible. Any advice on what I might be able to tell them? I can see some minor things that definitely aren't the same, meaning it is not original condition, but I think they will try and argue that there are other similar imperfections on my floor in other unaffected areas.

I personally find it hard to believe a floor can take that much water and have no lasting damage to the structural integrity and whatnot, but I know very little about all this.

Thanks!

Originally posted by arian_ma
    Just out of curiosity, was it even cold enough on those days for the pipes to burst due to an open window?
    The bursting pipes coincided with a cold snap. It was 5C the day before and the next morning it was -15C.

Originally posted by arian_ma
    Yeah it was -11 to -15 or so that night....the first cold night in a while. The pumber told us that he saw blood by the pipe though, and they had a banger of a New Years party that night (they are one of the few renters in our building, apparently - it's mostly professional couples with no kids and older folks). So, what really happened will probably never be known, but it either froze, or someone got pushed into it while they were horsing around drunk or something.

Originally posted by TimG
    i assume you have something under the hardwood? If it's or foam i'm sure that it has some kind of damage.

You can also tell them that your resale value just went down the shitter if you try to sell a place with water damaged hardwood. Are they offering to sand and refinish *all* of the hardwood or just what's damaged?

i think your floor should be replaced as anyone who knows what they're doing can tell if the floor has been sanded and refinished.
    Nothing under the hardwood, it's glued straight to the concrete. I know this because the service guys told me, and also because I can hear them using a jack hammer with a flexible blade attachment to get the hardwood out of the condos above and below me. Apparently it's an absolute bitch to get out.

They won't refinish anything, even though that is what I was originally told. If they find anything wrong with it, it all gets fully replaced, brand new. If not, I get nothing. That is why I'm trying so hard to find even one good reason why they should replace it.

Originally posted by rob the knob
    -try to get to an expert opinion from a hardwood installer that your floor has not returned to 100% and never, and should be replaced. call high end flooring place to have someone come out.
    -any know what effect of sanding is on new hardwood floors. with old floors with nails you can sand and refinish limited times before hitting nails. how many times can new type hardwood floors take a sanding?
    I could try calling some flooring shops - good idea.

They won't be doing any sanding, despite what they originally told me. It's a full replacement or nothing, and that's what other units are getting who needed it.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 01-09-2012 at 06:19 PM.

My Ride
    Exploded.

How did this conclude?

Going through this right now: top floor flooded due to a failed toilet supply line and flooded through all the units below to the basement. I’m one of the affected units below.

Thankfully the fans were on within hours of the flood and the floors just came off this morning to continue drying. I informed the cleanup crew of the spots where it leaked so they took samples and cut up some vents so the fans can blow through it. Should be done by Thursday hopefully so I can sleep without the humming.

The walls should be fine (cross fingers)

The condo bird is determining to go through the corporation insurance or go after the tenant who had the issue, which I’ll assume is the case if said person has home insurance.

I called my home insurance tip line and informed me to wait for the board’s decision before making a claim on mine.

Meanwhile just been documenting like crazy and taking videos/photos/notes

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Given the number of affected units, the board is more than likely going to be forced to go through insurance. You need to check your insurance paperwork to determine what the corporation's deductible is for water damage (flooding is commonly in there but I believe intended for overland, not within the building).

What would be ideal is less say your corporate deductible is 75,000. Overall the damage and restoration costs stay under that, and the home owner has insurance. Then that person's insurance would cover everything.

Otherwise if the damage is over 75,000, the person at fault's home insurance would pay the 75,000 deductible and the corporation would have to pay whatever is remaining above the 75,000.

As of last year, this is in the Condo Act and fucking sucks for anyone not at fault because repair costs are high.

We are going through this exact scenario in our building and I'm on the board so privy to what is all happening. We are also dealing with the person at fault who has ghosted us to pay the insurance deductible, and now in legal trying to get this waste of a person to pay.

I fucking hate condos.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Exploded.

Yay fml

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Given the number of affected units, the board is more than likely going to be forced to go through insurance. You need to check your insurance paperwork to determine what the corporation's deductible is for water damage (flooding is commonly in there but I believe intended for overland, not within the building).

What would be ideal is less say your corporate deductible is 75,000. Overall the damage and restoration costs stay under that, and the home owner has insurance. Then that person's insurance would cover everything.

Otherwise if the damage is over 75,000, the person at fault's home insurance would pay the 75,000 deductible and the corporation would have to pay whatever is remaining above the 75,000.

As of last year, this is in the Condo Act and fucking sucks for anyone not at fault because repair costs are high.

We are going through this exact scenario in our building and I'm on the board so privy to what is all happening. We are also dealing with the person at fault who has ghosted us to pay the insurance deductible, and now in legal trying to get this waste of a person to pay.

I fucking hate condos.
    Any idea what would happen if said renter does not have insurance?

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

I'm less worried about the renter as the home owner is ultimately responsible for the unit and he does have insurance which has paid out the corporate deductible of $50,000, but he hasn't transferred it to the corporation. I have no idea what we can do other than send collections and the legal department at him, I think we might be able to put a lien on the unit or sue. We also had a modest special assessment for $1,200/ea spread over 3 months, and he hasn't paid any of that either. But he is actively trying to rent out his newly restored unit and responds promptly to the ad while evading everyone else. I feel like hunting this piece of shit down but he's likely a degenerate broke fuck.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post

I fucking hate condos.
    Same - we had a fucktard who was given a free pass to an small, accidental flood once, but then repeated the same flood even worse, 6 months later (bathtub or sink, cant recall).

He was sanctioned and refused to pay but we just put a lien on the mortgage and got the money. The board always wins in these cases.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    Same - we had a fucktard who was given a free pass to an small, accidental flood once, but then repeated the same flood even worse, 6 months later (bathtub or sink, cant recall).

He was sanctioned and refused to pay but we just put a lien on the mortgage and got the money. The board always wins in these cases.
    That's really good to know, thanks for sharing that!
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Silverado

Lawyers are really good at racking up hours that they will be responsible for as well.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Quote Originally Posted by Mogg View Post
    Any idea what would happen if said renter does not have insurance?
    Curious as well. I think the corporation might have to eat the deductible from the reserve fund which would suck ass

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Renter insurance is irrelevant. Owner insurance is what matters.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Fucking nightmares, I’m trying to get my ass out of my condo ASAP because of the continued liability etc. I hope to get this thing sold before potential hail season rolls in...

My Ride
    Pushbroom

Condo? I thought it was a requirement to live in a house in Aspen to be a member on Beyond?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast