Quantcast
Condo flooded - any advice? - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Condo flooded - any advice?

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx Mazda View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Condo? I thought it was a requirement to live in a house in Aspen to be a member on Beyond?
    It was, but Mibz was the one who was supposed to monitor land title submissions and audit membership here based on that. Since he left, it's been a zoo.

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    Otherwise if the damage is over 75,000, the person at fault's home insurance would pay the 75,000 deductible and the corporation would have to pay whatever is remaining above the 75,000.
    You mean the corporation's insurance has to pay whatever is remaining over $75,000.

Hypothetical, but would anything happen to flipstah if he is the home owner and he does not have any owner insurance? Not at fault, but his unit was flooded from someone upstairs. What happens then?
    Last edited by Disoblige; 03-31-2021 at 09:05 AM.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Condo board can sue owner for full cost of they don't have insurance, and put lein on title so he can never sell without paying.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Condo board can sue owner for full cost of they don't have insurance, and put lein on title so he can never sell without paying.
    Sue the owner whose unit was flooded and it wasn't his fault due to a leak upstairs?

I have absolutely nothing to contribute... but reading this thread really makes me want to sell my rental condo. Lol.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

^ as long as you have tenant insurance, its not really a big deal - esp if you did your due diligence when you purchased the unit and checked out things, like reserve $$$ per door.

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    ^ as long as you have tenant insurance, its not really a big deal - esp if you did your due diligence when you purchased the unit and checked out things, like reserve $$$ per door.
    Moreso all the talk about these claims going through the condo insurance.. All these claims are pushing up the rates across the board (even claimless buildings), then condo fees go up and property values drop even more. It's a vicious cycle, I should just invest in insurance companies.

My Ride
    RX300

so about to put my condo up for rent, what's this tenant insurance? i still have insurance on the place, will i need to get this addtional tenant insurance?
    trying is the first step towards failure

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Get them to send you a proof of tenant insurance when signing the lease, write in the contract that it is required throughout the term of the lease. I would never sign anyone without seeing it, too much of a headache. Most people want it anyways because it covers your stuff.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride

Maybe just gotta make sure the tenant insurance cover the property liability aspect as well, and not just personal belongings and liability. I think that is why there is tenant's insurance, and homeowner/landlord insurance.
    Watch Masked Bandit shake his head watching everyone shit out of their mouths here lol.
    Last edited by Disoblige; 03-31-2021 at 11:54 AM.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by J-D View Post
    I should just invest in insurance companies.
    better investment than real estate
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    better investment than real estate
    Fundamentally guaranteed returns are great.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    LEXUS LX470

Since everyone is sharing their condo flood story... here is mine.

My wife was away at law school and I was solo in our downtown Edm. highrise condo. I had a brutal work week and spent Friday evening just tidying up, getting the place nice and spotless so I could just chill and enjoy the weekend. I planned on sleeping in on Saturday morning then waking up and watching some Premier league games. Around 9-930 am on Saturday I woke up and grabbed a drink of water from my nightstand. I looked down at the floor and saw water. I thought... hmm.. did I spill my water when I was sleeping?? So I hung myself over the bed to inspect and saw a thin film of water over pretty much the entire bedroom floor. The bedroom was a shared wall with the neighbouring unit. I sprang out of bed to see what the hell was going on. No water anywhere in the condo except in the master bedroom. Nothing from above etc. I ran out into the hallway and the humidity hit me like a brick. A wet, soggy, stinky brick. I checked around the hallway and found the door to the neighbouring/shared wall condo open. I knocked and rolled right in there. That unit was 1" deep water that was pouring down into the stairwell. Nobody was inside, ran around a bit, called condo company and they confirmed they were aware of situation and remediation crews were inbound.

I ran back to my condo and pulled all the furniture out of the master, and all of my wife's clothing out of the master closet (I used the guest bedroom closet...) Remediation guys came and slammed a high-volume fan and some dehumid. in my unit and the hallway etc. They also sprayed some anti-mold chemical along the baseboards and lower portion of the drywall.

So turns out my genius neighbour, went away for the weekend and left their window open. In January. In -20 degrees. Needless to say the baseboard heating pipes ruptured and caused the loss.

The condo insurance and our insurance was brutal to deal with. Rather than experience all of the fuckery with the remediation, we ended up hiring our own trusted contractor to pull the floors and drywall in the master, and re-do the shit quality broken fiberglass tub/shower in the master while we were at it. It was broken by the builder when we took possession and they "fixed" it with some type of epoxy which subsequently failed again a while later. We ended up spending about $10k I want to say for all of the repairs and the insurance company cut us a cheque for about $3-4k, I can't recall the exact amount. So we ended up out ~$6-7k out of pocket but got nice marble tiled shower and proper tub out of it.

It was so shitty cramming all of my master br furniture, all mywifes closet contents etc into the remainder of the condo and living like that for ~3 weeks. It was straight hoarder style where I had access to front bathroom, hallway, kitchen, and bedroom, and then a little pathway to the living room/couch area between my mattress, bed frame, etc. Boy was I happy once the repairs were done.

So $6-7k and 3 weeks and I was back to normal. A few (4-5?) months later I ran into a neighbour from 3 floors down that had also got damaged by the same flood. He was telling me how his place was still being renovated by the contractor hired by the condo's insurance... what a shit show. The money I spent was WELL worth it to get back to normal in a reasonable timeframe.

That condo was brand new in '08 but was a complete piece of shit. Punched window stucco exterior. EIFS stucco that failed if your bbq was too close to it. improperly done seams between balcony slabs and the EIFS. Residential grade punched windows with the stickers in between the panes of glass so they couldn't be removed. High quality "laminate" flooring and the thinnest hollow-core interior doors you could imagine. The pipe risers would knock at night. Elevators constantly getting f'd for whatever reason. So glad to have sold that place and got the hell out of there. HAd I been living there during covid would be a complete nightmare. So happy to have a SFH and will NEVER go back to multi-family if I have any choice in the matter (i.e. until the turd makes carbon tax so extreme that we all rent pods to sleep in at the nearest TOD and don't have cars or freedom of movement except where bicycles can carry you lol)
    Tap, Rack, BANG!

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

^ let me guess, 'Pointe' something building?

Not a thread I expected to see bumped lol - what a painful reminder

I don't feel like reading everything again but long story short, my condo flooded twice in the exact same manner (the building had plenty of other floods over the years affecting other units but not as severe as the ones that hit mine). This is what I remember:

- Each time took roughly 6 months to resolve, during which time I was essentially living on a concrete floor (all carpet and hardwood removed) with all of my furniture and belongings stuffed into my bedroom. In hindsight I could have rented a storage locker and move them in/out but I did not know how long it was going to take, and that would have been 100% at my cost.

- The insurance company picks the lowest bidder for the initial cleanup and subsequent repairs, so you will get absolute bottom of the barrel trades coming through. We had tons of issues with theft, property damage, etc. across the affected units. I eventually set up cameras and caught them committing full on insurance fraud, before they destroyed my cameras and were recorded saying "good thing we found those, otherwise we'd be screwed" just before audio cut out. This ended up helping me in the end but was still an enormous hassle. Having people come back to re-do work while supervised took literal months before it was done properly. Anytime someone entered my unit unsupervised, there was either new damage or the work was so bad it was comical. The icing on the cake was some of the trades broke into the lockbox, stoke unit keys, and later came back to rob people.

- Dealing with the property management company and company assigned to fix the damage is something I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy - I was lucky to get a one-line email reply once a week that did not address any of my questions, so it's not hard to see why everything takes so long.

- Each time it was the same unit that caused the flood, but different tenants. It was the only unit in the whole building that was a rental, and both times the people had a party in the winter and left a window open which froze the heating pipes. The unit owner's insurance paid the building insurance deductible both times and nobody was ever punished individually to deter future incidents. Our condo insurance went through the roof and instead of having the extra premiums charged to the offending unit, all residents had to have condo fees raised to deal with the increases.

- For repairs, they take a look at the cost/quality of what was originally in the building at the time it was built and then you are given an allowance equal to that amount to choose your new hardwood, carpet, etc. Take tons of pictures as we had numerous incidents of the repair company trying to say that certain damage was already present so they could get out of repairing it but still get paid for it.

- Any non-structural contents damaged by the flood required you to make your own home insurance claim and deal with any associated premium increases (you are not reimbursed for that by the offending unit or building insurance). You are also not reimbursed for the power bill after you run 8 carpet fans and 4 commercial dehumidifiers 24/7 for a week.

I eventually sold that place because of the 12th ave bike lane, but I will never own a condo again. I am still on the board email list and they are currently dealing with part one of an enormous special assessment to re-do the entire building envelope and deal with various structural issues. I'm so happy I got out of there.

The best advice I can give is DO NOT sign anything until you are completely satisfied, that is the only power you have and as soon as you sign you will never hear from them again.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 03-31-2021 at 01:28 PM.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Oh dang that sucks!

I thought it was similar to a car insurance claim where the company has preferred repair shops and then just get a quote or find your own quote. I’m going to see what the allowance is then pay the difference to get upgraded flooring

Looking forward to this now
    Doing It For the 'Gram

I ain't worried 'bout it right now..

My Ride
    Exploded.

So I'll have one or two days left before the walls dry to ideal moisture; was told that 8-10% is acceptable and anything less is better and right now, my walls are at 16%. They have these cool devices that scans moisture like infrared cameras. Neat stuff!

I'm keeping track of expenses like electricity and temporary accommodations as I can charge them back to the corporation. Might go full ceramic floors because some of the units got little damage due to them having ceramic floors. Simple mop up job. I was one of the greatly affected ones due to my laminate floor. Alternatively I was exploring to get the concrete floor sealed and I've seen some neat designs on it.

Thankful everyday it wasn't sewage and just water.
    Last edited by flipstah; 04-01-2021 at 01:42 PM.
    Doing It For the 'Gram

I ain't worried 'bout it right now..

Quote Originally Posted by flipstah View Post
    Thankful everyday it wasn't sewage and just water.
    It's also much worse in condos have a glycol system for the radiant heating. Then it's not just water, but water + antifreeze.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3