Quantcast
Purchasing an EVO 9 - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Purchasing an EVO 9

read the post above^^
    when i was looking at the IX's new it was shortly after i already bought my VIII. which was around 08-09.

ive been keeping an eye out for them since as it is my dream car and i have full intention of buying one again.

http://forums.evolutionm.net/sale-ca...ion-ix-se.html

minus the rims, pretty decent. and its an SE for the OP
    Last edited by rampagesauce; 01-03-2012 at 05:14 PM.

Originally posted by rampagesauce
    read the post above^^
    when i was looking at the IX's new it was shortly after i already bought my VIII. which was around 08-09.

ive been keeping an eye out for them since as it is my dream car and i have full intention of buying one again.

http://forums.evolutionm.net/sale-ca...ion-ix-se.html

minus the rims, pretty decent. and its an SE for the OP
    Look through the sellers previous posts and you'll see why it hasn't sold yet.

Guy has 20 pages of posts just buying/selling parts, no discussions or anything like that. just buying/selling parts. He also sold a few evos with salvage titles and some repaired ones.

I contacted him with a list of 10 questions that I wanted to know about the car. He only answered 2 of them, and in 1 sentence. be wary.
    Last edited by dimi; 01-03-2012 at 05:24 PM.

My Ride
    has a stick axle

Originally posted by dimi
    Here is one I would consider. Obviously RS spec so forget about comfort.

http://forums.evolutionm.net/sale-ca...-rs-ww-nj.html

How does the cloth in the Evo 9 compare to the fullload leather and suede? I can't say I have been in a newer Mitsubishi so I have no idea how their fit and finish is. Would the cloth interior in a Evo compare to a STI of similar year? I have spent a lot of time in my buddies 07 STI and the interior isn't to bad.

It sucks I can't go and sit in a few to see how the different trim levels stack up!

Dimi I may have to go for a beer with you to pick your brain and take some notes. Again thanks for your input!

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

Kenny if a IX is gona cost you 30K why not save up a few extra thousand and get into a X with a warranty

Originally posted by 94boosted
    Kenny if a IX is gona cost you 30K why not save up a few extra thousand and get into a X with a warranty
    Because its not an IX. Like I said previously the IX has the best performance of the sti/evos on the NA market (by a LONG shot), the rarest, and the most desirable.

Warranty on an evo is useless. This is Mitsubishi we're talking about here. They'll always blame it on some modification even if your car is bone stock.

As far as the trim levels, don't worry too much. You won't get a choice. All of the trim level pieces can be added on at a later time. Focus on getting a clean car. Personally I love the evo X seats so leather/suede makes no difference to me.

That said, an evo 9 SE (HIDs/fogs, aero kit, alum roof, BBS wheels) or SSL (sun,sound,leather) is the best of them.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Warranty on an evo is useless. This is Mitsubishi we're talking about here. They'll always blame it on some modification even if your car is bone stock.
    Platinum is not like this. Heck my EVO was one of the milder modded ones that I would see in their service bay. They will only give you grief if the mods you put on led to the issues.

My Ride
    Pushbroom

What were the differences between the IX and the VIII? I know the front bumper is different, but I believe the 8's still had the MIVEC head did they not?

I guess what I'm asking, is aside from rarity, why would a 9 be more desireable than an 8?

My Ride
    has a stick axle

That said, an evo 9 SE (HIDs/fogs, aero kit, alum roof, BBS wheels) or SSL (sun,sound,leather) is the best of them.
    This is exactly why I would love a SE! All of the goodies in the MR but not the transmission. Then I wouldn't have to worry about swapping anything and everything is always a little tighter and better put together from the factory. I guess if I end up with a MR I can send the transmission away to Shepard Racing to have it rebuilt as a five speed for 3-4 grand!

So how does the Evo 9 cloth interior look and feel?

Originally posted by Maxx Mazda
    What were the differences between the IX and the VIII? I know the front bumper is different, but I believe the 8's still had the MIVEC head did they not?

I guess what I'm asking, is aside from rarity, why would a 9 be more desireable than an 8?
    Realistically if you plan on heavily modifying either an 8 or a 9 it doesn't matter. You have it backwards, the Evo 9 has MIVEC while the previous generation Evo 8 doesn't. This, with a different turbo allowed for quicker boost and better response. But once you change the cams on an Evo 9 MIVEC is more or less useless I believe. I also read the options for tuning the Evo 9 are slight more limited.

My Ride
    has a stick axle

Originally posted by 94boosted
    What Dimi said and Evo 9s have managed to keep their value relatively well over the past years. Evo Xs however can be had for next to nothing. Also Xs are fucking hideous to look at!

Originally posted by Maxx Mazda

the IX has:
    larger twin scroll turbo
    shorter gears
    gravel snow and tarmac traction settings
    MIVEC
    lighter bbs rims
    and other slight cosmetic differences.

My Ride
    06 EVO IX, 17 RAPTOR,13 JKRU, 18 TH Jeep

Originally posted by rampagesauce
    gravel snow and tarmac traction settings
    The VIII for 2005 had this as well....

Like others have said, these cars are becoming more of a collector car.....i know of 03's with less than 15K on them that are still selling for $25k US (+20% to get them landed here in Canada)...

I agree though....the unicorn car would be an 06 IX SE with no mods and low miles....but reasonably, it will be a $30-$33K car landed up here..

Platinum had the best example i've seen for an 06 IX SE in the fall of 2010 - it had 16k miles on it, completely stock and it sold for $30K canadian....someone got a great deal/car. If i didn't have my SVT vert at the time, that car would've been coming home with me..
    Last edited by 4WARNED; 01-04-2012 at 09:32 AM.

My Ride
    has a stick axle

Originally posted by 4WARNED

Like others have said, these cars are becoming more of a collector car.....i know of 03's with less than 15K on them that are still selling for $25k US (+20% to get them landed here in Canada)...

I agree though....the unicorn car would be an 06 IX SE with no mods and low miles....but reasonably, it will be a $30-$33K car landed up here..

Platinum had the best example i've seen for an 06 IX SE in the fall of 2010 - it had 16k miles on it, completely stock and it sold for $30K canadian....someone got a great deal/car. If i didn't have my SVT vert at the time, that car would've been coming home with me..

If I recall you are the gentlemen who managed to purchase and ensure an EVO 8 in Canada before they became banned because of that silly collision law? Did you drive your Evo in the winter? If I do end up purchasing one I am having serious thoughts about only driving it in the summer. What trim level did you have?

My Ride

Originally posted by KRyn

If I recall you are the gentlemen who managed to purchase and ensure an EVO 8 in Canada before they became banned because of that silly collision law? Did you drive your Evo in the winter? If I do end up purchasing one I am having serious thoughts about only driving it in the summer. What trim level did you have?
    I was one of the lucky ones, and my first 03 VIII WW was one of those 15 that snuck in before they closed the border to EVO's. I bought mine in Saskatchewan from the second owner....

I never did drive my EVO in the winter and i took alot of flack from my rally and CSCC buds over that, but i had an 88 mazda 323 GTX as my winter beater so i didn't have to drive it either. I was more worried about someone running into me and writing it off - and then not being able to replace it (i.e. RIV hadn't opened the borders to them at the time either). I enjoyed that car alot (put 16k miles on it without a hiccup) and sold it to an enthusiast in edmonton (who still has it). I still regret selling that car to this day...

Rampagesauce (poster in this thread) bought the second evo i owned ( 04 SSL VIII Silver) but it appears he doesn't have it anymore. I still feel guilty over that transaction as it appeared he ended up having lots of issues with the car...

Having imported many cars over the years, i find myself again on the hunt for an evo....either 05 SSL or 06 SE.....i've got lots of leads on undiscovered cars - just need to pull the trigger on one (or two)..

I'm not a huge fan of the X's.....the VIII's and IX's have a more raw feeling to them....more connected to the road and communicating more feedback to the driver without all the fancy electronic aids. They are a pretty bare bones car (no cruise, etc)...and i've only seen 3-4 of them on our streets since the border opened up. The reasons for that are 1) the cost of importing one, and 2) unable to finance them as a purchase from the US.

i did see a silver 06 IX MR going the other direction on deerfoot after boxing day and i hold that guy responsible for renewing my search for another EVO....they really are a great car. But don't cheap out and get an inexpensive or modded one - save up more $$ if you have to and buy the top examples out there. it'll be worth it in the end...

Chris

My Ride

How does the cloth in the Evo 9 compare to the fullload leather and suede? I can't say I have been in a newer Mitsubishi so I have no idea how their fit and finish is. Would the cloth interior in a Evo compare to a STI of similar year? I have spent a lot of time in my buddies 07 STI and the interior isn't to bad.
    i actually preferred the cloth on my 03 VIII seats versus the leather recaros in the 04 SSL....they were great seats, but either choice would be a good one...

The 06 IX SE seats were equivalent to my 03 cloth ones...as in, if you're gonna do some spirited driving, they were better for holding me in place, versus the complete leather Recaros of the SSL (where i could feel myslef sliding around a bit)..

I'll admit - the VIII/IX interior is a bit disappointing/plain in that it's basically a base lancer interior....nothing wrong with it, but the STi and EVO X are definitely nicer looking inside. The SE IX interior was probably the best looking with the red piping...

My Ride
    has a stick axle

You should share said leads with me or point me in the right direction! Thanks for your input, greatly appreciated.

My Ride

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb...778693022.html

sounds like this one is sold already...(and no, not to me)..love the EB color....

there are lots of good ones out there - just need to spend the time looking for them..

My Ride

Maybe you contact the guy who bought the 06 SE IX from Platinum to get a look at it...

http://forums.evolutionm.net/evom-ne...er-canada.html

My Ride

You should share said leads with me or point me in the right direction! Thanks for your input, greatly appreciated.
    I've got some but i'm trying to see what their bottom line $$ ends up being..

My Ride
    has a stick axle

Hmm guess it all comes down to getting lucky! Hopefully a beautiful car comes up for sale when I am ready to buy! So many cars are in rough shape and modified way to aggressively. I just want a single owner, 15000 original miles, mint condition SE! Is that to much to ask!?

Originally posted by 4WARNED

You would be retarded to pay that much money for an 03. No ACD and no helical LSD and its a collectors car? That's one of the best things about the Evo is you can reflash the ACD to whatever driving style you have. 03-04s that don't have the ACD are not what you want.

If you don't want to pay the collectors premium on an 06, get an 05 and swap to an 06 turbo. MIVEC is a very minor thing and honestly I like the 8 front bumper more.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast