Quantcast
iPad Passport Scan Allows Canadian Traveler To Enter United States - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: iPad Passport Scan Allows Canadian Traveler To Enter United States

Default iPad Passport Scan Allows Canadian Traveler To Enter United States

Wat?

Canadian traveler Martin Reisch realized when he reached the Canada border into the United States that he had left his passport at home, lucky for the tech savvy traveler he had the next best thing, his iPad Passport or at least a scanned copy of his passport on the Apple tablet.

Upon recalling that he had scanned his passport and placed it on his iPad he produced the device and handed it over to a Customs agent who according to the Canadian Press took the gadget and returned several minutes later from the border office with an “all clear” message for Mr. Reisch.

When asked about his quick thinking which led to the iPad Passport idea Martin said:

“I figured I’d try, and in the worst case, I would have to go home.”

He does admit that the border agent looked a little annoyed when he first made the request but after a few minutes he said the experience was positive and he was allowed to travel on his way to Vermont.

While border patrol has not yet said digital copies will become a matter of policy at border crossing locations between Canada and the United States the happy traveler noted:

“I think a good part of it had to do with the fact that it was the holidays and I seem like a nice-enough person.”

Would you rather have a digital copy of your passport with you at all times such as an iPad Passport? I can see the battery failing just as you need to board a flight, forcing you to wait hours for another plane to departe.

Read more - http://w.po.st/share/entry/redir?pub...arer=copypaste
    Does everything matter or does nothing matter?

My Ride
    Exploded.

I don't like it.

ya hes lucky the canadian agent let him through... but the agent probably knew he would get boned by the US agent coming back...

My Ride
    2000 323i

Scan stolen passport
    Replace picture
    The terrosists win?
    Mike

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Originally posted by AwkwardAzn
    ya hes lucky the canadian agent let him through... but the agent probably knew he would get boned by the US agent coming back...
    He's Canadian, travelling TO the States. The border guy who let him through was American.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

Originally posted by Tik-Tok

He's Canadian, travelling TO the States. The border guy who let him through was American.

guess thats what 10days off and then having to wake up early to go work again does to you haha

My Ride
    2015 Ram 1500

and I'm sure he had no other ID on him...seems like there's some things left out of this story in order to make it newsworthy.
    Originally posted by HeavyD
    you know you are making the right decision if Toma opposes it.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Customs at Calgary airport refused to let me through with a digital boarding pass on my iPad. Forced me to go back out to the clerk, print a paper boarding pass, and go back through the entire line. Almost missed my flight.

It all depends if the agent is a dick or not. Or if you're white.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Busa

This story sounds fishy. Who the fuck scans their passport, transfers it to their iPad, and happens to leave their passport at home? I wonder if the guy did it intentionally, or if the story isn't true?

It surprises me that they let him through, especially since he would have more trouble trying to come back! When my wife had her passport stolen in Mexico it was a two day process at the consulate to get an emergency passport issued, and track down enough people that could vouch for her identity.

And another thing, if the celeb hacked phones have taught me anything it's that I don't want to keep a scan of my passport or any ID on anything digital. The last thing I want is some jackass trying to get into the country illegally with a forged passport and my passport number.

You'd think it would be illegal to do something like this.

Now, only if he wasn't white or had a turban on, of course...
    Last edited by Merritt; 01-03-2012 at 11:17 PM.
    Does everything matter or does nothing matter?

Originally posted by Nissanaddict
    Scan stolen passport
    Replace picture
    The terrosists win?

They x-ray you at the airport but let you through their border with a digital picture of yourself?

My Ride
    Busa

Another article with more details:

http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/...517/story.html

MONTREAL — A Montreal man managed to cross the U.S. border with a scanned image of his passport on his iPad.

Photographer Martin Reisch said if iPad creator Steve Jobs was still alive he would have something to say about that.

"He'd probably say: 'Here's something to work on for the future.' Maybe have some kind of digital certification or encryption to let people travel like this," Reisch said.

Although he's sure the U.S. border guard made an exception for him, Reisch is glad his story is being repeated by the likes of the BBC, the Washington Post and the Huffington Post.

"I hope the biggest thing to come out of this is that it becomes a catalyst to change the rules," he said.

On Friday, Reisch was driving down Highway 55 to visit friends in Vermont, when 30 minutes from the Stanstead crossing, he remembered that he left his passport at home.

He thought of turning around when he remembered that he had a scanned copy of his passport on Dropbox, an online file storage service. It was a backup he kept in case he lost his passport while travelling.

"When I explained my story to the American guard, he looked kind of indifferent. He was a pretty serious border guy," Reisch said.

The officer took his tablet computer and went inside the border office. "I guess he looked me up in the computer and saw I'm not a criminal or a terrorist or anything.

"He didn't say much besides 'Merry Christmas.' "

Scanned copies of passports are not accepted forms of ID to cross the American border by land, according to the Canada Border Services Agency. Under the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative, Canadians must present a passport, a NEXUS card, a Free and Secure Trade (FAST) card, an enhanced driver's licence, or a Secure Certificate of Indian Status.

When crossing back into Canada, Reisch was received with more enthusiasm.

"(The Canadian guard) was a really young guy. We had a cool chat about iPhones and technology. He was really interested and didn't make a big deal that he was letting me through," Reisch said.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by UndrgroundRider
    This story sounds fishy. Who the fuck scans their passport, transfers it to their iPad, and happens to leave their passport at home?
    I used to do photocopies for backup. Now I have a scan copy on my phone.

All the border agent needs is the passport number. They would have the record if he ever crossed with that passport.

Now, I don't know if picture shows up on their system. If it does, it makes PS digital copy pointless.

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

I always e-mail scans of all my important travel docs before traveling.

The guy took a huge risk though. Getting into the US is one thing, getting back into Canada is another.

He may have been a frequent traveler so the border guys recognized him...either way, they're probably in a bit of shit for this story being out there.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

He travelled by car. They make exceptions for that all the time. Wouldn't have happened by air, passport checks from security to customs to gate.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Turbos n Stuff™

Originally posted by rage2
    Customs at Calgary airport refused to let me through with a digital boarding pass on my iPad. Forced me to go back out to the clerk, print a paper boarding pass, and go back through the entire line. Almost missed my flight.

When I worked in the US Customs gate (C) at YYC, it was mandatory to have a printed boarding pass to go through US Customs and Immigration. Airlines were supposed to have all passengers check in physically and obtain a paper copy prior to entering for US destined flights. White or not lol. No electronic copies were EVER allowed (that I am aware of). It wasn't uncommon to refuse travelers with passports that were in rough shape either. Typically that was based on whether they were a douche-bag or not tho.
    Travel

My Ride
    rally pig

Originally posted by rage2

this.

I'm accustomed to digital boarding pass on my blackberry/iphone here in Canada that in LA I told my gf she could use her iphone since I checked her in already the day before.
    Security wouldn't let her through without a paper boarding pass.

You'd think that they would be more high-tech than Canada.. but then again.. Yellowknife is having LTE first here in Western Canada

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

One thing is likely, by going to the media to say "look what I did and what they let me do" he has made EVERY future visit to the U.S. a real hassle for himself.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    One thing is likely, by going to the media to say "look what I did and what they let me do" he has made EVERY future visit to the U.S. a real hassle for himself.
    No doubt, and I have a feeling the employee is going to get a stern warning. Electronic boarding passes is one thing, but I don't agree with digitizing personal documents like that. The things people can do with PS scare the hell out of me, there is absolutely no way someone looking at your iPad screen or smart phone can tell if you've doctored it or not.

Plus I'm willing to bet about 90% of people on here don't employ enough security measures on their computers/phones to hold off the average hacker who wants your info for more than about 5 minutes. If everyone digitizes their important documents we might as well trade identities on eBay.

My Ride
    4x4

Seriously? People would keep a copy of their passport on a digital device?

Not worried about hackers/id theft are ya? Not like it has ALL the info they need on it or anything...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast