Quantcast
Average gross for a Shaw installer? - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: Average gross for a Shaw installer?

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

Who cares? I'm sure that there are people with more education than me, who work ten times as hard as I do but make a fraction of what I make. Then there are people with no talent nor education, who work one tenth or less of the amount I work and make 10 times what I make.

If you have to judge the quality of your own life based on other people's lives, you are doing it wrong.

My Ride
    Volvo S60 & Jeep GC

Originally posted by lilmira
    Who cares? I'm sure that there are people with more education than me, who work ten times as hard as I do but make a fraction of what I make. Then there are people with no talent nor education, who work one tenth or less of the amount I work and make 10 times what I make.

If you have to judge the quality of your own life based on other people's lives, you are doing it wrong.
    Wow, very well said!

And for the non-believers, I know many people who went to university and make less than a few tradespeople I work with. However the tradesperson had to do manual labor for years to get to that position while the university person can do it working for someone else. Also most tradespeople will never reach that level. Its all about what you want out of life. I have only got a high school diploma, and class 1 driving lessons. I started a painting company at 23 and was pulling in 80K+ within 3 years, I hated the hours though so I went to work for someone else. Now I do very little physical labor, work shifts so I have tons of time off, and am not making that much less. For me its all about enjoyment of life and I don't need much money for that.

Edit: Oh right, the thread topic..... I know a shaw installer in Kelowna that has his own airplane and hangar, I dunno how much he makes but that aint cheap!

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Well said.

My Ride
    NC1

Winrar!
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    Model S

Originally posted by Ven
    There's never any proof with these stupid threads. Always 3rd and 4th party claims about how they know a guy who makes over 100k as a bag boy at Safeway.

Then everyone with two brain cells to rub together calls bullshit.

Then the OP is like 'he's my best friend so I know this'.

And everyone calls bullshit again.

Then the OP is like 'he works super hard long hours'.

And everyone calls bullshit.

The the OP is like 'it's cause he has mad tips yo.'

Then the OP goes, 'it's cause he can take 6 grocery carts at once and is the top produce handler nationally for like 28 years straight and you're all jealous cause he makes more money than you do without a pre-school diploma and he's only 19 years old and invented water.'

And then after a while the thread slowly fades away until the next one pops up about how some guy they know makes 300k a year working part time picking rocks out of tires for the government in order to prevent excessive wear on the roads.
    LOL, nailed it.

It's funny, I didn't open this thread at first, but thought "oh it's beyond, surely people are in there saying they make 6 figures." But, I thought I was kidding.

Although I agree with you to an extent. To be realistic we live in a society that values money above all else, so IMO judging your quality of life based on other people's or more specifically what other people make isn't such a bad thing. In fact I argue that they offer good bench marks that the rest of us can strive for.

I dont really buy the whole "I'd rather be poor and happy than rich and miserable" implying it's one or the other????? That is a silly outlook IMO.

Originally posted by J-hop

I dont really buy the whole "I'd rather be poor and happy than rich and miserable" implying it's one or the other????? That is a silly outlook IMO.
    Agreed. That's because life is about balance right?

But I'm going to disagree with you that society values money above all else. Sure some demographics do, material wealth is their identity and measure of self worth in their, and the eyes, of their peers. But I think a larger cross section, especially globally, would show money isn't the highest value by a long shot. I'm not discounting the importance of money, after all commerce makes the world go 'round. Money is just one part of the life balance thing. I wouldn't want anyone to use me as a benchmark in their life just because I have big checks and strive to emulate that, it would be creepy to me.
    Last edited by Ven; 01-09-2012 at 10:11 PM.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

North Americans value money so much. Distend are horrendous for salary dick measuring.
    Ultracrepidarian

Originally posted by J-hop

It would be stupid to say that you need an education to make money. BUT!! Too often you see people with no schooling who see others without schooling making big bucks and then think making money is easy. "look at Steve jobs, he dropped out of highschool and made a ton of money until he passed". Yea but he had a hell of a lot of drive (and intelligence for that matter).

I'm sure being an installer making 6 figures takes a shit ton of work. Not something the average highschool drop out is cut out for. I'd argue that only 10% of people who dropped out of highschool did so because academics wasn't an appropriate path for them. The other 90%? they dropped out because they are lazy shits and likely wouldn't be any better off in life if they had a degree and definitely wouldn't have enough drive to be out their working hard enough as an installer to make 6 figures.

Whether you are educated or not has nothing to do with it, its about your drive to better your life. An education is only a tool to get that job done, nothing more....
    Very well said! I am sure 140k doesn't come easy as an installer.

I am sure normal hours for "4 - 5" days a week it is almost impossible. Pre-bonus I make under 140k, and I work 6-7 days a week from 75-90 hours a week

My Ride
    2010 Black on Black F150

140,000 no around a 120,000 i know a couple people that do as a Shaw installer you have to deal with a lot of sketchy people and you can make up to 600 or 700 a day for about 12 hrs work its all about up sales and how you code.The turnover rate is huge to
    Last edited by Racoonfighter; 02-17-2012 at 06:53 PM.

My Ride
    BMW 335

Originally posted by Ven
    There's never any proof with these stupid threads. Always 3rd and 4th party claims about how they know a guy who makes over 100k as a bag boy at Safeway.

Then the OP goes, 'it's cause he can take 6 grocery carts at once and is the top produce handler nationally for like 28 years straight and you're all jealous cause he makes more money than you do without a pre-school diploma and he's only 19 years old and invented water.'

And then after a while the thread slowly fades away until the next one pops up about how some guy they know makes 300k a year working part time picking rocks out of tires for the government in order to prevent excessive wear on the roads.

Agreed.

My Ride

Originally posted by Ven

Seriously lol'd

Well done

My Ride
    S14|TB1

Originally posted by Racoonfighter
    140,000 no around a 120,000 i know a couple people that do as a Shaw installer you have to deal with a lot of sketchy people and you can make up to 600 or 700 a day for about 12 hrs work its all about up sales and how you code.The turnover rate is huge to
    +1 i have a friend who went to school with me who went into telecom install instead of aviation and was scooped up fairly quickly, it's in the lower 100k max for sure if you get large jobs/contract. not a bad backup plan imo for wire pulling half as complicated as aircraft wiring. the stories of some customers and work conditions he has though, maybe not worth it right away lol

My Ride
    honda with fart can

Not Shaw, but the guy that installed our Telus internet was in and out with a smile.. said he gets paid for how many installs he does (I questioned why he was actually on time for a sunday morning 8:00 am install). I think that if you're good you can make good coin, same as anything else.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    has darth kitty

average for a solid UBE "SHOULD" be between 90-130k a year.. but its all piece rate, so it really depends on the persons work ethic and whether there actually is work to be done..... which there always is
    poop

Usually they give installers about 6 installs a day, but if you are good 8-12 is easy as long as you don't have to do a sh!t load of drop 1's those suck ass. I averaged around 90-110k when I was an installer.

My Ride
    '06 BMW 325xi

Originally posted by bootybandit
    Usually they give installers about 6 installs a day, but if you are good 8-12 is easy as long as you don't have to do a sh!t load of drop 1's those suck ass. I averaged around 90-110k when I was an installer.
    Who did you work for? Telus or Shaw? and why aren't you doing it anymore if you don't mind me asking

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4