Quantcast
Armed 8th Grader Killed in Texas - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Armed 8th Grader Killed in Texas

My Ride
    S54 M Coupe

Originally posted by Merritt
    That's Texas for ya, nothing new.
    That would happen anywhere. You point a gun at a CPS member, and you're probably going to get shot by one.

Shitty situation for everyone involved.

My Ride
    1992 KA-T Silvia

You would think just firing a test shot would be enough to scare the child into dropping his gun.
    Why aim directly at him?
    There are no neutralizing shots when your a child. Its like having insta-kill and james bonds golden gun.

Edit: Fixed blindingly painful grammar issues
    Last edited by lellowrx7; 01-04-2012 at 11:45 PM.

Originally posted by lellowrx7
    youd think just firing a test shot would be enough to scare the child into dropping his gun.
    why aim directly at him? theres no neutralizing shots when your a child its like having insta kill and james bonds golden gun.
    If I were the grammar police, I would have you dead as well.

Despite such, you make a good point.

My Ride
    S54 M Coupe

youd think just firing a test shot would be enough to scare the child into dropping his gun.
    why aim directly at him? theres no neutralizing shots when your a child its like having insta kill and james bonds golden gun.
    Where's that test shot going to end up? Out the back window of a hallway and into a house two blocks away?

Doesn't work that way in real life.

If I was in a police officer's shoes and someone had a gun the main thing I would be worried about is going home to my family. Not saving the life of a type of person that would shoot at other kids in the hallway.

Originally posted by 95EagleAWD

That would happen anywhere. You point a gun at a CPS member, and you're probably going to get shot by one.

Shitty situation for everyone involved.
    Hmm, sounds like a perfect suicide method.

You bring a fake gun, and you don't have to worry about how you're going to off yourself.

Wait.........oh shit.
    Does everything matter or does nothing matter?

My Ride
    S54 M Coupe

Originally posted by Merritt

Hmm, sounds like a perfect suicide method.

You bring a fake gun, and you don't have to worry about how you're going to off yourself.

Wait.........oh shit.
    Yup. That's very true. Like I said, it's shit for everyone.

My Ride
    Lease

Originally posted by 95EagleAWD

Where's that test shot going to end up? Out the back window of a hallway and into a house two blocks away?

Doesn't work that way in real life.
    Exactly, you're essentially responsible where the bullet ends up and the damages resulting from it... (that's just speaking for people who went through and uphold the theory from gun training courses, or gun license courses)

My Ride
    S54 M Coupe

You are damn well responsible for where that bullet ends up, no matter what happens. We call it "target isolation" and if you don't think you have it, you better not pull the damn trigger.

My Ride
    1992 KA-T Silvia

If you shoot up into a roof it's going to stop in the concrete, assuming this is a modern day building and not made of wood?
    Maybe this is just me but before shooting a misguided child I'd think of the options other than blasting 3 rounds at him.
    How do we even know this kid knew how to turn the safety off?
    Another option, he's in the hallway. Shoot a locker beside him to show your not fucking around. 100$ says he would have thrown the gun away and probably cried.
    The 15$ angry birds backpack and 20$ with of crayola supplies are much more replaceable than the life of a 15 year old.

My Ride
    2000 323i

If you shoot up into a roof it's going to stop in the concrete, assuming this is a modern day building and not made of wood?
    Maybe this is just me but before shooting a misguided child I'd think of the options other than blasting 3 rounds at him.
    Another option, he's in the hallway. Shoot a locker beside him to show your not fucking around. 100$ says he would have thrown the gun away and probably cried.
    The 15$ angry birds backpack and 20$ with of crayola supplies are much more replaceable than the life of a 15 year old.
    Nope. Fuck that. It's stupid. This isn't a small town in the middle that hardly gets newspapers. Everyone has the internet, and it's pretty much common knowledge in this continent that if you threaten a cop with a deadly weapon, they're trained to use deadly force.

I feel bad for the kid that obviously had to have issues to do that, and for the family and friends, but the cop did what they had to. If the gun was real, and the kid fired it, the cop that shot the kid could very well have been dead instead. If more people than you have a gun, you lost. Maybe the kid could've, oh I dunno, surrendered instead!
    Mike

My Ride
    G37X

What if there was another floor above them? That warning shot could kill an innocent child. Or shoot into a locker, which then goes through the wall and into the classroom on the other side of it. A warning shot sounds good, but in reality there's too many issues. In the time the officer was pointing the gun elsewhere and firing the warning shot the kid could have started shooting. It is really unfortunate and sad what happened, but I think the officer was in the right. He had no way of knowing whether the gun was loaded, if it had the safety off, and whether the kid was intending to use it. His job was to protect himself and those around him. And with most guns you would not be able to tell whether the safety is on or off without being close to the gun.

My Ride
    1992 KA-T Silvia

It blows me away that it's now a shoot before fired upon kind of world.
    I do recall that the gun is supposed to be the last line of defense on that belt, not the first chosen response after verbal requests don't work.

Sean bell - Died at age 23 because he left the club drunk, hit an unmarked surveillance car and police opened fire.

Jean Charles de Menezes - after the London bombings, jean was misidentified, tackled to the ground and hit with no less than 7 bullets to the head.

Kathryn Johnston - elderly woman, believed to have a drug operation in her house, police unexpectedly raided the home, in self defense and most likely fear she shot one bullet above the officers (completely missing) only to receive over 30 shots fired at her. The drug op was later proven false.

I can understand if you see someone on the streets wearing a shady outfit, that maybe you would cross to the other side. If they follow you may run or stand your ground, but if it comes to it and you make the wrong call, you will pay. The fact that police officers often never have to pay for their choices, (except maybe a suspension with no pay) gives them the freedom to make the first choice that comes to mind, (protect themselves) but maybe not the right decision. Firm belief that if you are in the line of duty then you can't be the pussy who looks to end the altercation with the swift shot of a bullet. It's not the just way to fight crime, the person does not get a fair trial or even their own words spoken on the subject. When you join the force you realize you may not come home. The want to come home can't out due the rights of others, otherwise your breaking the vows to serve and protect.

My Ride
    2000 323i

I can understand if you see someone on the streets wearing a shady outfit, that maybe you would cross to the other side. If they follow you may run or stand your ground, but if it comes to it and you make the wrong call, you will pay. The fact that police officers often never have to pay for their choices, (except maybe a suspension with no pay) gives them the freedom to make the first choice that comes to mind, (protect themselves) but maybe not the right decision. Firm belief that if you are in the line of duty then you can't be the pussy who looks to end the altercation with the swift shot of a bullet. It's not the just way to fight crime, the person does not get a fair trial or even their own words spoken on the subject. When you join the force you realize you may not come home. The want to come home can't out due the rights of others, otherwise your breaking the vows to serve and protect.
    Yep, I do make judgement when a stranger looks shady and cross the street. At the same time, I'm highly unlikely to ever be shot by a cop. Mostly because I know that if they're telling me to get down on the ground, I simply would, and I would certainly never point a firearm (real, or fake) at them, since I want to live.

To me, threatening a cop is just like getting in front of a train. You either have to be trying to die, or just a special level of stupid.
    Mike

My Ride
    1992 KA-T Silvia

Ok mr. Stubborn,

http://www.policebrutality.info/2011...ocent-man.html

Here's you, getting on the ground and complying with the requests.

I'm not saying under the right circumstances the gun shouldn't be used, what I am trying to get across is that it's used well before other options are though of because it's no longer protect and serve the people it's protect yourself in the position your in.

I do recall that the gun is supposed to be the last line of defense on that belt, not the first chosen response after verbal requests don't work.

Sean bell - Died at age 23 because he left the club drunk, hit an unmarked surveillance car and police opened fire.

Jean Charles de Menezes - after the London bombings, jean was misidentified, tackled to the ground and hit with no less than 7 bullets to the head.

Kathryn Johnston - elderly woman, believed to have a drug operation in her house, police unexpectedly raided the home, in self defense and most likely fear she shot one bullet above the officers (completely missing) only to receive over 30 shots fired at her. The drug op was later proven false.

And yet, the world always moves on somehow.
    Does everything matter or does nothing matter?

lellow

I think you're jumping to conclusions way too early in this . Each and every situation is different . Trying to lump this shooting with others that were mistakes could cloud your judgment .

Look at it this way . Cop gets called as a kid is wandering the hallways with a gun . Cop gets to school , MAYBE the principle tells him the kid has gone loco , got into a fight and into trouble , now he's back with a gun . You think the cop is gonna want to have a sit down talk with the kid ? If you've ever handled a gun you quickly realize that mistakes can be fatal in a split second , and they deserve your complete attention and respect . In a situation where you come up to a very distraught individual with a gun and the adrenalin is pumping , you MAY not have time to try and talk them out of it . It becomes a situation where one of you is going home and the slower shot is going out in a body bag . Life can be just that simple and brutal . If anyone has lead you to believe that life is fair , you've been mislead .
    That said , I wasn't there . The only folks who really know the story were the ones who witnessed the incident and I'm sure in due time the truth will emerge .

Another thing . LOTS of folks know what they are doing is wrong , but do it anyway . Have you ever heard of " suicide by cops " ? Happens all the time where people can't kill themselves , but want to die and chose to confront the police to get killed . Sad and pathetic , but actually very common .

My Ride
    TypeR

Ok mr. Stubborn,

http://www.policebrutality.info/2011...ocent-man.html

Here's you, getting on the ground and complying with the requests.

I'm not saying under the right circumstances the gun shouldn't be used, what I am trying to get across is that it's used well before other options are though of because it's no longer protect and serve the people it's protect yourself in the position your in.
    Yeah if someone aimed a gun at you would you not feel your life is in danger? It was the only option. What your thinking only happens in movies. The only people to blame is the kids parents.
    Cops did the right thing 100%

To say they didnt protect and serve is the dumbest shit. They went into a school and took out a kid threatening the lives of many people

My Ride
    Hemi, ZX6R

To lazy to add other quotes...

Seriously??? If you didn't pull the trigger, got killed and he killed other people. Then you didn't protect and serve.

Your life as a cop is also considered protecting, so you protect your life as well.

And shoot before being fired upon...this isn't fucking war.

Your probably in the same brain capacity as this 15 year old 8th grader. I don't know the american system, but by 15, I was well above grade 8.

Originally posted by Seth1968
    Probably going to turn out that the kid was severely bullied and just fuckin lost it.
    That will probably be how the media spins it... you can say almost anything about anyone after they are dead.

Ever notice whenever a gang member is killed his family and friends will tell the media how he was turning his life around and how he was a great older brother to his siblings?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast