Quantcast
What to do about skunks? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What to do about skunks?

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Default What to do about skunks?

Alright, here is the situation...

about 6 weeks ago, my neighbor tells me of a encounter he had with a skunk. He came out of his back yard, through his gate, to be confronted by a Skunk! he high tails it out of there, and gets in his house.

About 2 weeks later, I go out on my front steps to have a smoke. I get to the bottom step, light my smoke, and am about to sit down when I hear a rustling sound. I turn around in time to see the skunk raise it's tail, I turn away and book it back in the house. Thankfully, only my jeans got hit, and I had them off and in the black bin fast enough that they didn't soak through and make me stink.

I didn't see, or hear any reports of it for the past month.

Fast forward to tonight.

I go out to have a smoke again, and at the end of my lawn is that fucking skunk again!

I go in the house, call 311, and let them know I have a skunk problem here. Their response to me is that they consider skunks and porcupines a pest, and don't respond for them. Tell me to make sure there are no food sources and crap and yadda yadda yadda.

I asked if bylaw still provided traps for cats and such. Great news! they do, but suspend the program for the winter months...

I really don't want to buy a trap that I will only probably use once, and I have no clue as to what neighbors may be leaving food out.

anyone have any options that I can try?
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    K-car

My bro in law had a Skunk problem under his back deck, it would hang out with his cat of all things. he put mothballs under the deck, advice he got from an old farmer we know, he has not seen it for months now.

Also call a local exterminator, he may have advice.

Yeah moth balls is what I've always heard...
    Dogs and guns always kept em away from my place though.
    <old farmer.

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

Default Re: What to do about skunks?

Originally posted by spikers

anyone have any options that I can try?
    Stop going outside to smoke your *cigarette*.. then the skunk hallucinations will probably die down.

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

Thaco is offline sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)
    My Ride
    Rage2

I noticed i have a skunk in my garbage occasionally, but the only time it ever comes in to my yard is when my outside motion light is turned off, they have never been here when the switch is on... might be worth a try
    User title molested by Rage2.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's not the size that matters, it's the taste it leaves in your mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    No logic, thought, input, etc from cult member...

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

spikers, maybe pick up a slingshot and some gumballs? That's what my mom uses to control the cats trespassing on her property. She's pretty possessive about the robin's nest..

Also, if you get hit.. hydrogen peroxide baking sode and soap mixture works great for neutralizing the stink. My father in law's dog got nailed in our yard one night, and we had to bathe it in that stuff... gack.. makes me nauseous thinking about it..

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Pellet gun. Not a firearm, and will make the skunk think twice about stepping on your turf.

Sounds a little cruel, and I'm not sure I'd do it myself - but it *is* an option...

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Originally posted by Kloubek
    Pellet gun. Not a firearm, and will make the skunk think twice about stepping on your turf.

Sounds a little cruel, and I'm not sure I'd do it myself - but it *is* an option...
    or, I could shoot gum balls packed with C4 from a painball gun...that's an option too!

all kidding aside, I think I am just going to try to build a home made trap from some scrap wood I have around. I mean, I was a boy scout and survivalist for the longest time...lol this should be easy enough. I already have an Idea how to build it.

now the question is...can they chew through 1/2 inch ply, and how will I get the damn thing out...
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Originally posted by spikers
    I think I am just going to try to build a home made trap from some scrap wood I have around. I mean, I was a boy scout and survivalist for the longest time...
    ... yeah, because they do teach you a lot about building traps out of plywood in Boy Scouts. You know... just in case you get lost in the wilderness and happen upon random sheets of wood.

You're a smart guy though - I'm sure you can figure it out if that is the route you take. But then, I'm wondering how to get even the trap off the property. They'll just spray through that... no?

My Ride
    Volvo S60 & Jeep GC

Hook the trap up to your car exhaust, run for 10 mins, bam, problem solved.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

... yeah, because they do teach you a lot about building traps out of plywood in Boy Scouts. You know... just in case you get lost in the wilderness and happen upon random sheets of wood.

You're a smart guy though - I'm sure you can figure it out if that is the route you take. But then, I'm wondering how to get even the trap off the property. They'll just spray through that... no?
    LOL, yeah, I made the boy scout reference, because in my mind i was thinking making a snare.

found this online which is almost identical to what i was thinking of making, just a different spring mechanism.

http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles/sanders64.html
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

We had this problem - the skunks dug under our driveway slab. Obviously there were pockets that had settled so they had a bit of a cave under there or something. Who knows.

Call the city. They sent out an Animal Control guy to our place with traps...we ended up catching something like 21 skunks over a few months. Once they were gone, we tore up all kinds of earth, laid chicken wire around the driveway and basically did everything we could to ensure they didn't come back.

Don't listen to the pellet gun idea. A skunk sprayed our teenage neighbour so he came out with his air rifle and guess who got hosed next....

My Ride
    03 Mdx, 05 Gli

They'll just spray through that... no?
    Skunks can only spray if they can lift their tail, so as long as he trap isn't too large, he should be able to walk over and just carry it off.

To be honest though, I think building a makeshift trap out of plywood is a ridiculous idea for catching a skunk unless you spend the time/money to actually make a good trap, in which case it would probably just be cheaper to buy a proper trap or call an exterminator.

My Ride
    2010 XFR, 2015 F-350

Fish and wildlife may have traps that you can borrow.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

What are you planning on doing with it once it's trapped?

IMO, it's better to make your yard inhospitible to the little bastard, then he'll wander way on his own.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

I went through the same situation about a month ago, and was a loaned a trap from Fish and Wildlife (Lethbridge).

Even if your able to scare it off, or catch and release it in the country somewhere, it's going to become someone else's problem. If you do plan on releasing it somewhere, you run the risk of it spraying during transportation.

In other words, you might have to kill it.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Spikers what area in town do you live? I've see a skunk in the yard a few times - by Nose Hill.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Ram 1500, '68 Camaro, S14

Lol I posted a video a while ago of me removing a skunk from my garage.. But honestlY just trap it. At our resort in invy this one guy traps them all and relocates them cause they get up to no good a lot. No need to kill it.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

I am not planning on killing it. I will probably take it out to big hill springs provincial park to release it.

As for making my yard inhospitable, it already is. the problem is I can't control what my neigbors do or don't. So I still have the problem. Thankfully, I think it is only 1 skunk, and I have checked my property for burrows, and none found.

and this in in Taradale.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

Use Sardines as bait, then use a trap such as this.

I was going to suggest checking out UFA (the farm supply store) in Calgary, but after checking out their website it doesn't seem to stock them. I dont know who you'd call. You can try UFA down in High River, that wouldn't hurt at all.
    http://www.ufa.com/
    Thats the same trap we used, as we've caught and eliminated the skunks at my dads farm using just this. If it were summer I'd bring it back with me since its not being used anymore, but that wont happen until the spring so.... but call around and see where people direct you. Im kind of out of suggestions as to who else would have it, but call a few exterminator type companies and see if they'd sell you one. While looking for the actual traps, I found these guys. Seem to be based in Calgary's SE.

http://www.absolutepestcontrolinc.ca/?ms_dist=GoGeo

Once you catch it, (we just shot it while in the cage) you can release it, but make damn good and sure you have an open bed pickup if you plan on doing that obviously.

If you do want to release it; I'd head down deep into Kananaskis, or the next best thing. Best to release it in an area very far away from people. Otherwise; as what was said it'll become someone elses problem.
    Last edited by Graham_A_M; 01-07-2012 at 10:50 PM.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast